The Monsters know what they are doing

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Falinor
Mist Elf

The Monsters know what they are doing

Post by Falinor »

Has anyone picked the book up and applied it to C&C?
I've looked at the blog. Some of the information seems system neutral, but a lot seems very specific to 5E.
Baron Falinor of Cherokee, Empire State of the South.

serleran
Mogrl

Re: The Monsters know what they are doing

Post by serleran »

I have not used that book. One thing I had wanted to do was to provide a sort of "book of lairs" which was to have every monster in M&T presented with three possible setups, to showcase how they might be used and what they might be like. I got about halfway through before the curse struck. I no longer have it and do not do this sort of work so the dream is gone.

[edit]

Moved from Keeper's Advice as no one can reply there. Well, very few can.

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

serleran wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:44 am

Moved from Keeper's Advice as no one can reply there. Well, very few can.
I have come to these forums for years to read and learn about C&C. I noticed YEARS ago people posting in that forum thinking others can respond. You should shut down the forum or make it so people can respond to requests for help.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I can't.

I can barely moderate it, not touch board configuration - that takes actual admin access.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I've never heard of that book, but I never run my monsters or NPCs as stupid, unless they are stated that way.

Monsters should never be just static flesh bags that the PCs get to go and kill just to get exp, they are part of the real (imaginary) world and should act and react as part of the world.

Real life, wild pigs learn real quick what a trap is and avoid it even if you have a tom of sweet corn in it to draw them in, they learn the smell of hunters after one or 2 of them are harvested and avoid the smell or leave the area entirely. If a wild pig is that smart then so is a goblin, orc etc etc etc.

Plus it is fun (in the DM evil twisted way) to use little wimpy monsters cleverly.

Heck the Monday night group is getting up to 3 and 4th ish level, and they HATE imps … little bitty weak imps. that are clever, blend into the back ground if they are still, mischievous, perfect spies and messengers, and that stinging tail … oh so fun to use !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I also greatly enjoy using little monsters, like goblins, to remind players that the fantasy world also has crafty, intelligent, enemies and there's a reason adventurer is the most lethal occupation. Not like Tucker's kobolds, though, just in ways that I feel they should be used. Nets and pit traps are more common for them, for example.

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

serleran wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:08 pm
I can't.

I can barely moderate it, not touch board configuration - that takes actual admin access.
What I MEAN is that whomever has the POWER should do that. If you are a Mod you SHOULD be able to contact an Admin. No?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Grandpa wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm
serleran wrote:
I can't.

What I MEAN is that whomever has the POWER should do that. If you are a Mod you SHOULD be able to contact an Admin. No?
No.

I can contact just as many persons as you can. Besides, I don't even know who the forum admin is anymore.

Doesn't matter anyway.

And I guess I'll go back to not bothering with this place.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

See if that fixed it.. It was buried in the Admin panel on group permission thingy. As far who has what, I doubt any of the folks that had Admin show up here anymore. Since installed all this and did the upgrade recently I still have admin. So if you really need something you can ping me.

sad face at serleran, I like when you post.
-Mike

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

mgtremaine wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:18 pm
See if that fixed it.. It was buried in the Admin panel on group permission thingy. As far who has what, I doubt any of the folks that had Admin show up here anymore. Since installed all this and did the upgrade recently I still have admin. So if you really need something you can ping me.

Hey! you did it. https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewto ... 29#p259629

Thank you.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Finally, something that imo should have been done a long time ago, thanks mgtremaine.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:24 pm

I Hope not ! I always enjoy your posts and you have added so much here over the years !!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

So back to the book, is it just words of wisdom from some senior DM?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

is not Traveller also an admin?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

AntiquarianAspirant
Ungern

Post by AntiquarianAspirant »

Captain_K wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm
From looking at the blog, it seems to be a breakdown of monsters by their ability scores (from 5E mind), innate abilities, and descriptions to dissect how they would most rationally behave in combat and play to their own strengths. Basically how to keep encounters from being suicidal melee charges and the like.

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

AntiquarianAspirant wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am
Captain_K wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm
From looking at the blog, it seems to be a breakdown of monsters by their ability scores (from 5E mind), innate abilities, and descriptions to dissect how they would most rationally behave in combat and play to their own strengths. Basically how to keep encounters from being suicidal melee charges and the like.
So, just the data about the monster and an opinion from a person on how to play them. Nothing I'd pay for

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

serleran wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Grandpa wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm
serleran wrote:
I can't.

No.

I can contact just as many persons as you can. Besides, I don't even know who the forum admin is anymore.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Stick around, things are getting interesting again.