Starship Warden

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

azcromntic
Ungern

Starship Warden

Post by azcromntic »

Is there a specific forum for Starship Warden? Is there a digital map pack for Starship Warden? Thanks

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Starship Warden

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, I'm intrigued about Starship Warden too, in particular the Star Siege system and whether one could just run a straight up C&C game in it, a la Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I saw a blog post where Jim Ward says that's precisely what he did with Gygax back in the day and Troll Lord has apparently published Ward's adventure update of that campaign. So I'm thinking about picking this up and running that. Plus, I'm frankly intrigued by its massive size and scope even though I'm not a big Sci-Fi RPG guy.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

azcromntic
Ungern

Post by azcromntic »

Still no word on the digital map pack. I think they do not use this forum much anymore (so I heard a while back). I’m a bit stubbord about using discord of which was said to be the place to go to communicate. blah. Is there a specific discord channel for Starship Warden? (I ask here because it is convenient and I’m too lazy to login and search).

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I saw a review where they said the map pack was nothing special, though I suppose if you wanted to print off single maps for play, it could be handy. I ended up buying the core book and the Saving Wren adventure and the digital chronology, character sheet, etc., because I remembered that I had a coupon from TLG for 20% off. Should arrive Monday so I'm looking forward to it. As I said, I'm planning on using it for some alternative C&C adventures in the spirit of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

And yes, I loathe Discord as well. For one, it doesn't have full functionality on my MAC. Second, I'm not crazy about the Discord "culture" on the servers I've been on. You can get a weird combo of bullying, shilling, personal attacks, etc. mixed in with the game discussion and it often seems to veer off topic. Haven't been to the TLG Discord, but I'm not really interested in going there. I'll stick to these forums, even if they're less active.

azcromntic
Ungern

Post by azcromntic »

I was under the impression there was an additional pack of maps that are in each section of the big book. I do have some maps from my purchase (and I didn’t really look at them that closely). It seems like the map pack should contain the blown up versions. Anyway … maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Digital would be nice for digital play.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Having read through a bit of the book so far, what I'm most pleased about is that you absolutely don't need Amazing Adventures or Star Siege to play it. It's completely compatible with C&C. Since we're just planning to do a few sessions along the lines of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, it will suit our needs perfectly.

Brick Hardslab
Mist Elf

Post by Brick Hardslab »

To make characters for MA do you use Amazing Adventures?

azcromntic
Ungern

Post by azcromntic »

MA….my brain is giving a “no acronym found” exception. But, if this is a question about Starship Warden, then you use C & C character creation. In my experience though, the Amazing Adventures characters would work fine. I’ve run Amazing Adventures characters in the Haunted Highlands setting/adventures with no issues. I did find a bit of trouble in balancing damage but other than that it worked out like the characters had been created with C & C rules even though they were AA characters.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I assume he means "Metamorphosis Alpha," which was the original system for Starship Warden. I just used Starship Warden as a location for C&C and converted stats in the module to C&C stats. I'm also putting gates to the Warden in Undermountain, via the Stardock level.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:36 pm
I assume he means "Metamorphosis Alpha," which was the original system for Starship Warden. I just used Starship Warden as a location for C&C and converted stats in the module to C&C stats. I'm also putting gates to the Warden in Undermountain, via the Stardock level.
This is how I would do it, or use the StarSiege/AA rules. I bought that one recently but haven't gotten a chance to read it thoroughly yet.