C&C Adventures located in Greyhawk?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
maximus
Lore Drake

Re: C&C Adventures located in Greyhawk?

Post by maximus »

Sounds awesome. I've inserted a few one off's into my Greyhawk campaign, mostly as filler between modules. I'm running my son through a bunch of old AD&D modules already set in Greyhawk. 576 was the start of my timeline as well.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Love the map you posted. Your game sounds like it will awesome, feel free to drop o details as they occur. I'm curious to see how and where you drop the the C&C modules into the Greyhawk environs

-Mike

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Looking for an adventure to finish up my current campaign arc. BBG is a priest of Orcus that has been the party's nemesis, so the adventure would probably need to involve a temple and lots of undead. Any suggestions?

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Barrowmaze & Rappan Athuk are obvious choices though not set in Greyhawk. But both are superior to the Bloodstone Pass modules (FR) that also featured Orcus as the nemesis. Of all these I think Rappan Athuk is pretty easy to drop into Greyhawk. I suppose you could use WG4 and swap Orcus for Tharizdun if you weren't looking for a megadungeon experience.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:05 am
Barrowmaze & Rappan Athuk are obvious choices though not set in Greyhawk. But both are superior to the Bloodstone Pass modules (FR) that also featured Orcus as the nemesis. Of all these I think Rappan Athuk is pretty easy to drop into Greyhawk. I suppose you could use WG4 and swap Orcus for Tharizdun if you weren't looking for a megadungeon experience.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the Rappan Athuk pdfs, but haven't really checked them out. I'm looking for more of a single module rather than a megadungeon. The Tharizun module is interesting. That might be the answer. I also picked up "Crypt of Bones" by Cut to the Chase games off DTRPG. It's made for C&C, but I'll have to adjust the levels down.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

There are multiple Temples of Orcus in Rappan Athuk (each being a dungeon level, but not huge) that you could probably pull out and put together as a single temple.

But WG4 is pretty cool and easy to adapt. I used it for a temple to Thanatos as the capstone to a Master level BECMI campaign a few years back.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Retrogamer_Meph wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 pm
So after much deliberation I decided that I am not going to be running the Aihrde setting but instead running Greyhawk in CY 576. For any that know, that is the 1st Edition AD&D Greyhawk setting at the same time period Gary Gygax and the TSR authors were writing their adventures for. Everything pretty much happened between 571 and 582.
That's what I did. Even used Basic D&D mods B1 & B2 to start with. ZERO problems working with C&C system.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Grandpa wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm
Retrogamer_Meph wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 pm
So after much deliberation I decided that I am not going to be running the Aihrde setting but instead running Greyhawk in CY 576. For any that know, that is the 1st Edition AD&D Greyhawk setting at the same time period Gary Gygax and the TSR authors were writing their adventures for. Everything pretty much happened between 571 and 582.
That's what I did. Even used Basic D&D mods B1 & B2 to start with. ZERO problems working with C&C system.
I started with B2 in my current campaign, and the party still uses the keep as its home base. No problems with the conversion here either.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

So my son is off to college next week and I wanted to end the current campaign arc before he leaves. I pulled out Lvl 4 of Rappan Athuk and used this as the inner sanctum/temple of the party's nemesis, a priest of Orcus. I placed the temple in the SW Suss forest, not all that far from where I have their home base, the Keep from KOTB. I changed a few things, including the ring of teleport the BBG has in the module. I thought the beginning as suggested was over the top. In any case, the battle was epic. Trying to keep track of 15 evil spellcasters was insane. The party ended up with 1 member under 0 HP, 3 close to zero, and all the enemies dead, except of course the BBG who had a solid exit strategy. He had no problem leaving his minions to die in his place, but I'm sure Orcus will not be please the temple was defiled...

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Nice. Indeed, some of those Rappan Athuk encounters are practically designed to be TPK's. Our Swords & Wizardry party is currently in the Maze there, having survived a tough fight in one of the lesser temples to Orcus, where they lost (but raised) one PC and had another get level drained by a spectre.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm
Nice. Indeed, some of those Rappan Athuk encounters are practically designed to be TPK's. Our Swords & Wizardry party is currently in the Maze there, having survived a tough fight in one of the lesser temples to Orcus, where they lost (but raised) one PC and had another get level drained by a spectre.
I think that might be the same one we played as well. One of the clerics turned the spectre right away, and when it returned the other cleric turned it. The rest of the party then pummeled it into oblivion.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sounds like a great wrap up to a story arc!

Good luck to your son on collage, hope he enjoys 2 a days in August heat !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Yea, I'm sure he'll be having fun!

We officially wrapped up yesterday. I yanked some stuff from one of the Gord the Rogue books. My son's Ranger (big surprise right) is from Celene, so I had the elf wizardess the party rescued in the last module be a princess from Celene that ran away to adventure and got herself in trouble. The party, along with the main character's mentor, a L9 Ranger, brought the princess home. They also found out the mentor was a distant cousin of the queen, who renounced all titles. The party was well rewarded, but sent back on their way by the somewhat xenophobic Gray elves. It seems the princess was quite taken with the main character, so I left that thread open.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

maximus wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:16 pm
Lurker wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Yea, I'm sure he'll be having fun!

We officially wrapped up yesterday. I yanked some stuff from one of the Gord the Rogue books. My son's Ranger (big surprise right) is from Celene, so I had the elf wizardess the party rescued in the last module be a princess from Celene that ran away to adventure and got herself in trouble. The party, along with the main character's mentor, a L9 Ranger, brought the princess home. They also found out the mentor was a distant cousin of the queen, who renounced all titles. The party was well rewarded, but sent back on their way by the somewhat xenophobic Gray elves. However, it seems the princess was quite taken with the main character, so I left that thread open.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

@Retrogamer_Meph

Kind of late to the party on this one. Greyhawk Grognard just did a video on Youtube for new game masters wanting to use the Greyhawk Setting. He gave a great overview of the setting, books and locations. See below:

https://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2021/0 ... -campaign/
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:27 pm
@Retrogamer_Meph

Kind of late to the party on this one. Greyhawk Grognard just did a video on Youtube for new game masters wanting to use the Greyhawk Setting. He gave a great overview of the setting, books and locations. See below:

https://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2021/0 ... -campaign/
Seconded. His Greyhawk stuff is pretty good.