The Realms Beckon

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
seskis281
Lore Drake

The Realms Beckon

Post by seskis281 »

:twisted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to type up a real long game log, but as my group (including Dracyian) are starting our new C&C campaign tonight, starting at 3rd Level in the town of Beregost in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms, I will attempt to post updates on how it proceeds 8-)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Realms Beckon

Post by Buttmonkey »

Sweet! I really enjoyed playing in your game at the 2013 GaryCon, so I'm sure this campaign will be great.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

part of me feels very afraid for Gnome Runemark....

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

A really good start I thought to our new campaign - all current players present, and though tiredness set in for a few we gamed almost to midnight. Finished characters in fairly short order, then set up at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost, immediately the group responded to the call of spiders returning to infest a nearby home (my starting homage to Baldur's Gate 1 :) )

The Group is all starting at 3rd level, and includes:

The human Wesley Weston of the East Westons, Cleric of Selune (but who is basically somewhat cowardly to begin)

The human Wizard who is spanish (Antonia Banderas-esque) flavored and styles himself "Manly Muchlove" - he is pretty devoted to finding pretty women in distress.

The Paladin Sir Geoffry who is dedicated to smiting evil and is a bit perplexed by this group he has found himself in. He is on a quest searching for a "monster" that seems to appear in towns and villages he has visited. Sir Geoffry is Human, and takes strength from Ilmater.

Lavender the Druid, human, she is devoted to protecting nature, and has come from Silverymoon to help the leaves and the grass of the more downtrodden lands.

Lelu (who's real name is too long to pronounce), an exiled pixie Marksman class whose inquisitiveness allowed an evil wizard access to the grandfather tree her clan held sacred in the great wood, has ventured forth and become a classed explorer to seek redemption and find the wizard. About the size of a barbie doll, has lost some pixie abilities because she is exiled.

Dracyian's Gnome Runemark "Errantdie," looking to inscribe his mark on the world and seek out new runes to cast and play with.

John of Beregost, a human Ranger/Assassin (class and half) who is basically like dog the bounty hunter, no charisma, only out for the best pay for jobs, pretty crude and interested in women as much as the wizard.

And an NPC I am running, an adrenaline action junkie Halfling Fighter/Rgr (class and half) named Fonkin Hoddypeak (after one of my favorite 1e pregen names - using Fresh O'Suggill as the barkeep in Beregost as well). Fonkin's moto: "The juice IS the action, and I wanna squeeze the whole damn world!!"

Anyway, after dispatching the spiders and discovering a dark hole leading down in to the earth from the house's basement (which they blocked), the groups listened to a number of calls for adventure and decided the most "rewarding" would be to save the son of the Travenhurst family, apparently being held for ransom by a couple of former Flaming Fists turned rogues known as the Hole in the Rock gang (Dretch Kathedy and the Selune Kid are the apparent leaders). John of Beregost used his, uhm, relationship with a woman of the evening at the Burning Wizard named Sad Eyed Sue to determine the location of the gang to the NE, and the group headed off overnight to surprise the gang and retrieve the boy. A random encounter with some Ogrish'es (of my own design) ensued, eventually dealt with and the party collected themselves as the sun was soon to rise and we reached the end of our 1st game of the new campaign.

I love the possibilities - everyone has now done several campaigns previously but are starting characters that have no heavy backstory, and we begin in the most sand-boxy way that we ever have. Also, usually this group sets up ties and relationships between people, and this time every character is really beginning "on their own" as they come into this group.

And so the fun begins :twisted:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

And onward to night 2 :twisted:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

The group took on a lesser cyclops, some gnolls and some human raiders in the employ of Dretch Kathedy and his "hole in the rock" gang, ended up killing them so expertly that Kathedy hired the group for a "recovery" job in Baldur's Gate, (the palladin being assured by his comrads they will be smiting evil in the process...), but the group has found a number of side encounters and things at the Jovial Juggler that have taken them to Nashkell, gotten them involved with a cabal of Red Wizards (they are doing the best to stop the palladin from smiting straight up on this one), took on some rouges apparently working for the same cabal, and are considering a request from the Dwaro Delving Co. to eliminate a purple worm in a recently reopened mine.... despite their desire for good pay, several of the group are arguing NOT to take on the worm :evil:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I be Thalantyr, mighty mage of Beregost!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Sorry, but there is just not enough curiousity even in the Gnomes eyes to chance a purple worm. I can't believe that our paladin and ranger are silly enough for that, maybe the demon has sated the paladin for a bit

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Heh... :evil:

Breakdaddy, they haven't thought to go seek out Thalyntyr nearby yet....
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Well much to the dismay of Errantdie and the pleasure of the Paladin Sir Geoffrey and the Halfling fighter/Ranger we went down into the mines to smite the bane of the dwarves know as the purple worm. After some unease, the defeat of mimic by some luck and quick thinking the mimic was defeated and we rested. After gaining spells and runes back we continue on our quest to find the purple worm. On our March down the mines we begin to hear a sizzling and the gnome rune mark and the cleric are now jumping out of the way from the purple worm showing up. As luck would have it the cleric saved on her dex save and the gnome had a spare hero (fate) point to keep his roll of natural one having him swallowed whole by the worm. The fearless paladin and fighter charged forward and began attacking the worm with the pixie and the cleric launching assaults into the worms gapping maw. The rune mark and the wizard simultaneously devised and acted plans to keep the worm from swallowing anyone else after the druid with a help of a hero point missed being devoured by a hair. The cleric rushing over from his assault to bring the cleric back from being unconscious from the bite wounds caused by the purple worm the wizard succeeded in casting Web into the worms mouth. The worm having just rendered the paladin unconscious then seeing the paladin coming to again after the quote poured a cure serious down his throat. Sensing the battle having finally turned to the favor of the adventuring party the worm began a hasty retreat and fanken needing his juice launched the final assault upon the worm causing it die. After collecting the spoils, and what wonderful spoils they were having found some rune stones and a cursed stone of weight and a staff abjeration we left triumphant with the gnome being carried out. Collecting his 150 silver pieces from his bets he freed himself of his curse and returned to start working on the paladins holy avenger having found some nice molten iron in the mines he casted a long sword. Now they are just looking for a wizard to enchant it to a plus 2 for the paladin. Overall much to the utter shock and surprise of the gnome it was a successful adventure

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

And the adventure continues tonight... working on a task from Candlekeep to clear out some nearby Orcs and Hobgoblins.... :evil:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara