The Connacht Campaign

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
Stuie
Red Cap

The Connacht Campaign

Post by Stuie »

Spent a good part of an afternoon rolling up characters with my kids for their first foray into the world of role playing gaming, using Castles and Crusades of course....

Characters so far:

Lee - a Neutral/Good Ranger (oldest son)

Bran - a Neutral/Good Druid (son number two)

Seanie - a Fighter of indeterminate alignment since my son got bored and left the room - give him a break; he's only five (son number three)

Cuinn - a Chaotic/Neutral Rogue (me)

The setting for the campaign is of my own creation. It is a pre-christian Ireland-like setting, based mostly in Connacht. Major settlements include Galway Town, Sligo, Ballinford, Cruachu (the royal seat), Westport and Tuam.

House Rules:

Roll 4d6 and lose the lowest roll for attributes.

Following classes not available: Barbarian, Monk, Cleric, Knight, Paladin.

Following classes are rare: Wizard, Assassin

Common classes: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Illusionist, Druid, Bard

Deities: Gaelic Pantheon

I'm making everyone start as humans (much to son #2's disgust) just so we can get a feel for the rules. Once they pick it up... who knows.

First adventure: The Lonely Tower. Typical spooky tower stuff based on the free Hightower adventure over at the reviled wotc.

More to come...

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

The Campaign Map (with thanks to AutoRealm)...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Looks like a great start and it's always exciting to begin an adventure!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Having grown up in a small farming community, our intrepid adventurers are off to see the "big city" for the first time. Their mission: take three big sacks of wool to town, sell them, and use the proceeds to purchase a plow head. Then return to the small farming community. Simple, right? Oh, and their elders implore them to avoid the "Lonely Tower" that is about half-way to town because "odd things" have happened there. Seanie is left at home because son #3 decided he didn't want to play.

As they set off they are ambushed by several goblins, which are dispatched somewhat easily. Bran casts Goodberry afterward and our injured heroes munch on the magic berries thus produced to recover some hit points. The best part of this encounter is the acquisition of short swords from the dead goblins. Oh - I forgot to mention that I started the characters with a bare minimum of equipment, daggers, and no armor. So the short swords were cause for some excitement! Hahahaha. They pick up the wool sacks and resume their travel.

Now you would think that the warnings of their elders would draw them like a magnet to the tower - but no! Lee wants to avoid the tower at all costs because his elders said so (why doesn't he listen to ME like that in RL???). Finally, as it begins pouring rain, Bran and Cuinn convince Lee to take shelter in the tower. Turns out there is a tunnel opening in the hill below the tower, so they shelter there but are immediately attacked by... you guessed it!! RATS! Bran casts a Light spell on his short sword and they easily hack up the rats. Lee starts moaning again that they shouldn't be in the tower, at which point Cuinn suggests he run back home and get some swaddling clothes on. Bran gets impatient because the Light spell only lasts ten minutes, so, leaving the wool sacks in a corner, they finally begin to explore the chamber. Passages are found leading east, north and west (they entered from the south), and they decide to head east first. This brings them to a second chamber which is empty except for a stone chest in the center of the room. Cuinn checks it for traps (and fails) and then Bran opens the chest, springing a dart trap. Everyone gets hit by a dart with more moaning from Lee ensuing immediately. Cuinn wonders allowed if Lee filled his waterskin with mother's milk while Bran searches the chest and finds some gold.

They return to original chamber just as Bran's sword stops producing light. After a short rest, Bran casts light on the sword again and they head down the west passage...

CK Notes: So far I'm really enjoying the ruleset. The dice aren't getting in the way of having fun. C&C really feels like playing the original D&D or the old Empire of the Petal Throne (which was my introduction to Role Playing back in 1975). The kids keep bugging me "when can we play next!?!", so despite Lee's trepidations, they are having a lot of fun. Next up: a zombie hobgoblin and three missing sacks of wool.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Sounds like a great start and some good quality time with the kids.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Maliki wrote:
Sounds like a great start and some good quality time with the kids.

I must admit... I'm spending more time with them than I previously did.
And they keep bugging me to play even more! As CK, my designs keep getting more and more complicated - at this point they've cleared the above mentioned tower, fought through a kobold lair to find the wool (which went missing), and are now in a town attempting to obtain a plowhead. Which of course will lead to more problems... err... opportunities for adventure.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

If you don't release this campaign setting to the gaming public, God is going to kill a kitten.
Sounds *fantastic*! Keep up the great work!

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sounds great!
Quote:
(why doesn't he listen to ME like that in RL???)

Because you will only punish him. In the game an evil troll might eat him!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Inkpot wrote:
If you don't release this campaign setting to the gaming public, God is going to kill a kitten.

Thing is, I've been "borrowing" liberally from all sorts of stuff online to flesh-out the world. For instance, the city of Ballinford happens to look exactly like Ostelones from Thonahexus #5 (a now defunct Harn fanzine). And the "Lonely Tower" was actually pretty much a direct port of the free High Tower adventure from WoTC. And there's a huge sink hole with a buried city underneath - not Umeshti, but definitely inspired by the same. Then there was the kobold lair with a black dragon inspired by Scourge of the Howling Horde. And Ballinmote is a heavily modified Morgansfort (for BFRPG). I suppose I could just provide a high-level overview of the world with suggestions as to which resources I used to detail which locations, but since there are only so many hours in a day, I've obviously taken a LOT of short-cuts.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Hey ANY Irish/Celtic-themed campaign material is a huge plus in my book. Share away.
Ink

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Inkpot wrote:
Hey ANY Irish/Celtic-themed campaign material is a huge plus in my book. Share away.
Ink

Fair enough! Give me time to put my notes in order. They are pretty hap-hazard right now.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

I will get around to updating this... when we actually get some more playing time in. Nice weather has been interfering with our gaming!

@Inkpot - I am still working on publishing the setting as well. It's taking longer than I anticipated because I am trying to make it pretty.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Critique welcome:
http://home.comcast.net/~daly916/Connacht_final.pdf

I still need to proof-read; I hate proof-reading.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My game is with my two sons, daughter, and wife.

Its great family time.

Plus they bug me just about every day of the week to "play just for a little while".

We'll get in some good gaming tonight and tomorrow.

Its been a lot more fun than I thought it would be just to game with my family.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Stuie wrote:
Critique welcome:
http://home.comcast.net/~daly916/Connacht_final.pdf

I still need to proof-read; I hate proof-reading.

A cursory read had me grinning from ear to ear. I am *seriously* digging this!! Thanks so much for sharing! Oh, and if you ever want to use some fey encounters in your campaign, I did up a bunch a while ago. You can find them by following the link in my signature. =)

Thanks again, Stuie! This will definitely see some use in my game!

Ink

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Thanks Inkpot! Like I mentioned - any feedback is welcome.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Treebore wrote:
My game is with my two sons, daughter, and wife.

Its great family time.

Plus they bug me just about every day of the week to "play just for a little while".

Makes for a disjointed campaign when you only play "a little" almost every day, doesn't it? I've tried to limit our sessions to only when we have a good hour-plus to play.

Anyway...

So this campaign has continued - I just haven't been inspired to write. Or maybe work has been too busy.
Bran, Lee and Cuinn muddled their way through to Ballinford to get the plowhead, then performed some side adventures for the local druid and the bailiff (Failith the Bailiff - whose name will appear again...) while waiting for the smith to fashion the plowhead. There was an ettercap nest in the forest, some roving orc band causing mischief, and a spooky old cairn with a tomb. Fun stuff.

Finally they picked up the plowhead and went home to Kaemorrow, passing the rest of the year performing the mundane tasks of rural farmlife (Bran being a sheppard, Lee plowing fields, and Cuinn spending too much time and silver at the local inn).

Then Spring came - but in name only. An evil chill seemed to grip the land, and one day as the friends relaxed over some ale at the local inn, a stranger came in looking for "Lee the ranger". He introduced himself as Jerome and said he was directed to find Lee at Kaemorrow by Failith the Bailiff. Then he spoke of the evil rising in the land, and how he needed someone for a quest that he could not undertake since he was pursuing the main source of the evil. Lee asked what was needed, and Jerome said that an ancient and evil book, the Liber Mortis, had to be recovered so that it would not fall into "the wrong hands". He went on to tell that it was believed hidden in the ruins of a castle somewhere north of Lough Ree. Jerome suggested that additional help could be found in Boffinmote, but Lee scoffed at the idea (fool of a player that my son can be despite the rather heavy-handed hints) and said he could handle whatever was there with Bran and Cuinn's assistance. Cuinn groaned at that, but the party agreed to recover the tome and return it to Jerome who said he could be found at Kingsmote. Jerome hinted at his main quest having to do with an evil witch, thought to be behind the chill on the land.

And so our not-so-hearty adventurers prepared to set off on the Quest of the Liber Mortis. (And yes, I plan on obtaining and running U3 eventually, or maybe not depending on where this goes - my whole campaign has been mostly homebrew so far, with inspiration borrowed from wherever)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A little while for us usually means two hours or so. Better than watching TV or playing PS2.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

So our intrepid adventures gathered one morning to set out on the Quest of the Liber Mortis.

Bran and Lee show up at the meeting spot but there is no sign of Cuinn. Lee checks at the local blacksmith (Cuinn's father). The smith says,

"If ya see that rat-bastard, tell 'em to bring back me pick or I'll rip 'em in two." Lee beats a hasty retreat back to the meeting spot.

So Bran goes to check the inn... no luck. Finally, Cuinn shows up leading a mule packed with supplies. He says the mule is ol' Betty...

err, I mean ol' Netty, not to be confused with the mule named ol' Betty that farmer Caufiled is now missing. Given this information, our players decide to get the heck out of Kaemorrow (with Cuinn suggesting they not return, at least not with ol' whats-her-name).

So on they go... travelling most of the day without incident until they come across the smoldering ruins of a farm. A quick search reveals the remains of a farmer serving as an arrow pin-cushion. It appears that any farm animals have been killed or taken. A smashed up wagon adorns the farmyard. They shrug off this bizarre scene and continue down the road to Boffinmote.

A little way down the road they come across a neat pile of freshly cut wood. Then another. And another. For more than a mile they pass more and more of these stacks of wood until finally they come upon a large man with a huge two-handed battle axe who is busy chopping up wood. Lee approaches him and asks what he's up to - why all the fire wood. The man replies "My da told me to cut the wood until he comes to get me with the wagon." Lee introduces himself and asks the man's name, the response being "My da calls me Twit. He told me to cut the wood until he comes to get me with the wagon." Lee asks if Twit lives back down the road aways, to which Twit responds "Yup, with me da. He told me to cut the wood until he comes to get me with the wagon." Lee explains about the farmhouse and the dead farmer, and Twit replies "But my da told me to cut wood." Finally Lee states bluntly, "Your da is dead, Twit." At this point Twit tears up (I did a pretty good job at this - my one son started getting upset - hahaha. Am I mean or what?) and says "But I had to cut the wood! Now what am I gonna do!?" To which Lee says "Well - you can come with us." This cheers Twit immensely and he joins the group, his character sheet being handed over to my five-year-old son who decided he wanted to play after all. (I was later scolded by my wife for having the five-year-old playing a character named Twit. Oops.)

So our band of now four adventurers continues down the road toward Boffinmote. As twilight creeps across the land they see a copse of trees in the distance - a perfect spot to rest for the night, right? Wrong! As they near the trees they notice a buzzing noise, and suddenly the air fills with dark bird-like creatures with bat-like wings and long stingers in place of beaks. One immediately hits Cuinn, sinking its stinger into his flesh and sucking away at his blood. Twit roars into action and kills two of the beasts with one swing (he rolled a natural 20, and the Stirges had so few hit points that I let him hit two) while Lee and Bran struggle to hit anything (with my son playing Bran muttering "I wish I played a fighter" thanks to Twit's plus five to hit - STR 18 (+3) plus BtH plus Weapon Specialization). Anyway, the battle rages with Twit finally dropping unconscious (during which my son states that Twit is dreaming about ponies - this will become important in a later post), one Stirge sucking a full 12hps out of Lee and then flying off with a full belly, while Cuinn BBQs a few with his flaming dagger and Bran finally fends off the rest.

In the post-battle excitement, no one thinks to search the copse of trees for any possible treasure, so after Twit is revived and we all take healing draughts from the magic-waterskin o'health (picked up when they helped a druid with the ettercap problem mentioned earlier), Bran casts alarm and a friendly neighborhood fox shows up to provide watch duty. Bran kindly shares the alarm password at Cuinn's insistence, and they all drop off to sleep... except our favorite thief, who sneaks out of the camp and searches the copse of trees, finding a few dozen silver coins and a silver ring amidst the assorted bones also found there. Score one for Cuinn! He successfully sneaks back into camp, provides the password to the fox, and joins the others in their slumber.

Next session: an encounter with my version of halflings.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Magic Waterskin o'Health

This appears to be a normal water skin, except for the leaf decorations that surround the cap. Once a day filling the skin with water will produce 10 draughts of healing potion (1d6 per draught). If the potion is poured into any other vessel, it returns to its former state and has no healing value.

This was a reward the characters received for ridding the forest west of Ballinford of a malign presence - which turned out to be an ettercap and several large spiders. The incontinent druid of Ballinford provided both the mission and the reward, between trips behind a tree where he was seen to hitch up his robes and take a leak.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I like that magic waterskin.

No wonder your wife is upset! Calling your son "Twit", even in character, will surely damage his sense of self worth forever!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

We're still playing; I'm just too lazy to write up what's going on.

So I'll share my re-worked pantheon instead. I've also fleshed out more of the game world, with a high level map that includes a Roman-like empire on a continent east of Hibernia, complete with a "Mediterranean" like sea and an Egypt/Stygia type area. If I detail the map enough I'll share it later.

The gods are still a work in progress, but this is the basic outline.

The MAJOR GODS of Hibernia and the West

Aithir

aka the Allfather

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Primary devotees: Knights, Nobility, Bards

Lord of the gods, Aithir brings order the the world.

Brige (goddess of earth)

aka Mother Brige, Earth Mother, Brigit

Alignment: Neutral

Primary devotees: Farmers, Druids

The gentle mother, protector of crops, Brige is the goddess of the common farmers, shepherds and all who work the land, as well as the urban poor.

Aigeana (goddess of water)

aka Oceana

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Primary devotees: Seafarers, Merchants

All who spend time on the seas are wise to give offerings to Aigeana. Fishermen, seafarers and merchants are her major adherents.

Gaothmhor (god of air)

aka Cylos

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Primary devotees: Thieves, Halflings

The god of tricks is worshipped by thieves and Halflings. Some seafarers give him homage in addition to Aigeana.

Mach Kenna (god of fire)

aka The Burning One, the Destroyer

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Primary devotees: Soldiers

Mach Kenna rules the Kingdom of Fire, consuming all in his never ending flame. Worshipped by soldiers and those who would sow destruction, as well as those who crave power for its own sake.

The LESSER GODS of Hibernia and the West

Vulcan (god of metal)

aka The Dark Anvil (dwarves)

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Primary devotees: Blacksmiths, Dwarves, Miners

The smith god, Vulcan is worshipped by those who work metal and deal in metal.

Grianna (goddess of sun)

aka Lady of Light, Ianna (Elves)

Alignment: Neutral Good

Primary devotees: Knights, Elves

The Lady of Light, blesser of the Eternal Forest, gentle goddess of the sun, Grianna is the goddess of the elves and the Perfect Lady of the ideal knight.

Thintri (goddess of lightning)

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Primary devotees: Mages

She who creates energy from nothing, Thintri is worshipped by mages and those who would deal in magic.

Glacialis (god of ice)

Alignment: Neutral

Primary devotees: Northern Druids

The slow god, the brooding god, Glacialis is mostly unworshipped, though there are some druids in the north who follow him.

Notes

Other free classes (urban free, the flaith) can be found worshipping any of the gods, the most tend toward Aithir (urban free) or Brige (the flaith). The alignment of the various gods presents no restriction whatsoever to the alignment of those who worship them; A lawful/good person could follow Mach Kenna, focusing on the desirable aspects of the fire god as relating to humanity. Priests and other servants will usually be more closely aligned with their god.

Mike D.

Post by Mike D. »

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, I hope to introduce my son to games in the next year or two (he is only four now). Love the Irish setting as well.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Thanks! I've been modifying the setting as I go - I'll try to codify the updates and re-post the pdf if I have time.

Oh - and great avatar Mike D.! There are those who call me... TIM!

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Ok - I had a kinda sorta day off yesterday, and I began working on details of the Roman-like empire on the continent to the east. Turns out it's not Roman, it's Etruscan! All roads lead to Velzna!!

I'm working on a map of the "Europe/North Africa" portion of my world (which has no name as of now - go ahead and suggest one ) and the structure of the Empire and its deities.

In other news, an old friend who recently moved back into the are contacted me and wants to start gaming. I'm think of having his character(s) doing stuff on the continent, so I'm not just wasting my time thinking this stuff up.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Stuie wrote:
I'm working on a map of the "Europe/North Africa" portion of my world (which has no name as of now - go ahead and suggest one ) and the structure of the Empire and its deities.

Eurifica

Eurica

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

I copped out and went with Donham (in the five kingdoms) and Terranum (in the empire).

The band of characters is currently tasked with clearing out the lair of some giant ants that have been eating the crops of local farmers in the hills south of Boffinmote. They actually agreed to do this for nothing; just being good guys. Little do they know that the ants were actually magically altered to reach their large size, and that was but an experiment toward a much more sinister end.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Wow! It's been a year and a half!?!? We have a gaming session planned for the weekend - I'm not sure if we'll pick up where we left off or start fresh - probably pick up where we left off. I have a bunch of little quests sketched out for the forest south of Boffinmote - a section of the Tuam Forest known as The Fairwood, and a neighboring section known as Creepweld - which is a dark and twisted place. Given that the characters include a druid and a ranger, I'm trying to come up with more outdoor adventures. I'm also trying to move away from the huge story arc to more one off quests, since we don't seem to play consistently enough.

Son number 3 now wants a new character - so Sir Phillip will be introduced. I'll probably drop my character and some of the NPCs that have been tagging along. Might keep Twit around just because he's entertaining.

Write up to follow next week... hopefully!

Stuie
Red Cap

Re: The Connacht Campaign

Post by Stuie »

Connacht lives! I'm actually gaming with my original group (from the early 80s), but I've returned to this setting for more adventures. I've also switched systems to the insanely rules light Black Hack as a base, with me hacking the hell out of the hack. I still turn to the C&C books for inspiration though.

My sons meanwhile have grown up and found D&D groups of their own (except the one who played Bran - he's a video gamer pretty much to the exclusion of any other gaming). It's cool to hear their adventures and think back to our nascent rpg campaign with Castles and Crusades.

Anyway... Crusade on!!