First C&C game in a long time

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
Heavy_Crossbow

First C&C game in a long time

Post by Heavy_Crossbow »

I've owned the C&C books for about three years now, but I hadn't really started playing frequently until the release of 4th edition DnD (shudder). And by playing, I mean running the game, seeing as I'm almost the only one running in my area. But a few days ago, I actually got to play in a game, and it renewed my belief that C&C is the best fantasy role-playing system out there.

My brother decided to run a game for me and a friend of ours. We had picked up a well-reviewed module for DnD 3.5, but hadn't gotten a chance to play it since we had stopped playing DnD and moved on to C&C. It was called the Shattered Gaters of Slaughtergard. My brother converted it to CnC, and we quickly made characters.

I played a dwarf bard named Barrel Copagen (I mean arcanic bard, you can find its stats at cncplayer.net). Bard was one of my favorite classes in DnD, and I had recently found the converted version for Castles and Crusades. I couldn't resist. My friend played a dwarf cleric named Rhios Whiteshield. I made the character for him, seeing as he was sort of new to C&C.

Now, normally when we have an all-dwarf party, things get a little ridiculous. We talk in the gravelly voices and shout battle-cries, and that's just the out of game stuff. In game, we can hardly pass up an opportunity to de-rail the game, starting barfights, scaring the townsfolk, and building little fortresses under bridges. I will tell you now that it's not usually me who does this sort of thing. But I certainly don't stop it.

But this time, we were serious. Okay, maybe not serious, but definitely not silly (every time I see that word it makes me think of that monty python sketch). Maybe a little bit silly. But mostly in-character stuff. And what silliness there was resulted from me rolling the inevitable '1' when trying to gather information or haggle. Of course, the one time I'm going to play a dwarf with a prime charisma is the time I roll 1's for just about every social event.

But the game was good. The module itself is pretty good, with lots of content. We didn't even get a tenth of the way through it. I won't give you a long description of events, because I don't want to spoil it for you, shoiuld you buy it. But here are some of the highlights:

My crossbow breaking twice in a row.

My friend scoring two natural twenties in a row, which we consider a critical hit.

Two lvl 1 dwarves that aren't primarily combat taking down an ankheg in melee (so that was where my good rolls were hiding).

Me rolling natural ones on just about every social roll in the town. Hilarity ensues.

Me beating a hobgoblin with a keg of ale. Fear not, dwarven brethren. 'Twas empty.

Basically causing an uproar in the town, alienating just about everyone we came accross, and avoiding starvation by eating our mule (remember, kids: iron rations don't float).

In the end, after the first quest, the townsfolk accepted us after we helped them, so they didn't hate us so much. The occasional cabbage or tomato is flung our way.

But hey, it's free food! NYAH!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Sounds like good clean fun was had by all!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Slaughtergarde is one of my favorite 3.5 adventures. It actually reminds me a little of older D&D modules. Self contained setting and good background material. I really enjoyed running it.

On a related note Crossbow- do you think you brother would want to share his conversion? I'd like to see how he changed a few things as I was actually thinking aout converting this mod as well.

Heavy_Crossbow

Post by Heavy_Crossbow »

Share his conversion? Probably not until we're through with it. Afterall, we don't want to know what's going to happen. And I agree, it is reminiscent of ye olde-tyme DnD modules.

Once we're done with it, I'd be happy to let you know what he's changed.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Slaughterguarde is a very cool mini-setting/module (and I also agree that it is one of WOTC's best 3E mods if not the best). Great choice of play. Thanks for sharing.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Heavy_Crossbow

Post by Heavy_Crossbow »

Why thank you. I thought that the name of the module was a little too ridiculous to pass up =) .

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Saweet. Hope you guys have fun rampaging thru it.