View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Monday night Ne’er Do Wells Siege Masque of the Red Death 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Monday night Ne’er Do Wells Siege Masque of the Red Death
It has been decided that the one off will be more than a 1 off, and that we will do a siege version of the old 2d Masque of the Red Death setting

Foundation rules will be Amazing Adventures modified back in time to the 1880/90s and set at a more grim level than the standard by the book.

Right now we have 2 guaranteed players, one that will play as family and real life allows, and 1 that is leaning toward playing, but hasn’t signed in blood that he will (I’ll keep tempting till he does though), and one that will show as an honored guest player whenever works school and his con schedule allows.

That said, if anyone that has not been in the long running Monday night ne’er do Wells and has room on their dance card for Monday nights and wants to play , by all means we have plenty of room!

House rules for character creation

Attributes - roll 4 d, reroll any 1s keep the highest 3. If you have 2 or more attributes at less than 9 re roll then (with only attribute being less than 9). If you still end up with 2 or more at less than 9, increase them to 9 - again with only 1 being less than 9.

Add comeliness/physical beauty . There is no save tied to it, but at times it can replace or modify CHA checks

use method 3 for attribute modifiers from the CKG :

2,3 -4
4,5 -3
6,7 -2
8,9 -1
10,11 0
12,13 +1
14,15 +2
16,17 +3
18,19 +4

Perception checks – a wisdom check, depending on the situation and what is being observed, different classes will add their level. For example A soldier, gun slinger, gumshoe and raider would add their level to notice that movement in the window before the sniper fires while other classes would just have the roll plus the wis modifier v the prime/non-prime CL. A hooligan, gumshoe and rider would add their lever to notice the thug skulking in the shadow of the alley way tailing the group, where others wouldn’t etc etc etc.

HP -
start out at max HP,
When gaining a level, roll for HP normally
If your HD is d4 or d6 and you roll a 1 reroll / if d8 reroll if you got 1 or 2 / if d10 or 12 reroll if you got 1 - 3

Multi classing
I am much more lenient on multi classing than BTB. You can have 2 (I guess 3 if you had a good narrative or it fits the story as the game progresses) classes and advance them at different rate. You can split the exp equally between the classes or if you have a primary class focus most exp on it and then advance the other class at a slower rate by setting fewer exp into the secondary class.

However, when making ability checks you can only use the level of the class associated with the ability. I will have to look at how to make saves fair for multiple classes characters

Also, exp can be set aside to buy off shortcomings, or to buy some limited advantages -will have to fit the character's actions in the game and keep the feel of Grim Gothic setting

AA classes allowed:
Arcanist
Gumshoe – For the setting a Pinkerton but the same thing
Gumshoe – modified as per the companion to be a reporter, and to be a consulting detective, plus there are ideas being kicked around for a ‘witch hunter’ version of the gumshoe
Hooligan
Mentalist
Pugilist
Raider
Socialite
Gunslinger
Pirate
Soldier
Demon hunter – the class from a special separate PDF not included in the main books
I am on the fence for Acrobat and Duelist
Classes barred – Gadgeteer (maybe down the road there will be an alchemist NPC) & Archer.

Socialite - house rule the Socialite ability of Charm is not as powerful as the spell. The ability will allow the character to sway people toward their desire, help convince people to follow them, even pull those hostile toward them to at least neutrality toward them. But they do not have the ability to semi magically beguile others

Depending on the character background etc, I may give an additional Generic Class ability – so do a good in-depth interesting character background – after character creation, but for the most part, unless it is critical for the character concept, I won’t be starting out swapping class abilities for the Generic Class ability

Some basic skills will be assumed depending on the character background / history. For example any rural or rustic character will know how to saddle and ride a horse, / harness a wagon and drive it (now being good enough at that to ride through the woods at break neck speed chasing an evil cultist that transformed into a wolf and is fleeing into the night, you may need the animal handling or ‘ace’ ability to not be overly relying on luck).

With it being a Grim Gothic setting, some of the Generic class abilities will be barred , at least at the start. For specifics I’ll cover it 1 on 1

Knowledge skills will be used, though modified from 1920s back to 1880s

Anyone starting with a forbidden lore knowledge will also start with a low level insanity – nothing earth shattering, but something to reflect that you have peered into the darkness and seen that there is more there than just things that go bump in the night. Something like shallow end signs and symptoms of PTSD or something like that.

Not all magic is considered ‘forbidden lore’, so anyone starting with an Arcanist does not necessarily start with forbidden lore and an associated insanity. Also though there are definitely dark evil insane occultists driven across the line of sanity by their magic pursuits, not ALL magic will eat away at ones sanity and psyche. So, not all magic practitioners are insane occultists.

There will be holy/religious based mystics/practitioners (unlike the ole 2e Red Death that had any priest/preacher etc classed as a type of rogue). There will be Catholic and Protestant holy men that can and do preform exorcisms and push the dark forces out of their presence, faith healers and can miraculously restore the gravely wounded, caring ‘Mother Teresa’ that can comfort the suffering, and more. Not every preacher will have access to mystical/arcanist powers, but some will. However, other ‘holly men’ will be con artists or corrupted and be evil serving Red Death – some knowingly and some deluded into it.

With it being a Grim Gothic setting, Some of the more flashy magic powers will be barred – companion p.60 as a base line. That list of barred powers may grow and change as the game progresses.

However, as I read the ole 2e Red Death & Raven loft books, I saw multiple spells that I don’t see (at a quick cursory glance) in C&C AA. Anyone playing a spell caster that wants to convert them, by all means do so. (Some of the spells may be converted already & I just missed them, or are under another name)

I will be using Fear horror insanity and corruption check – more modified from 2e than AA – the base is wisdom check/saves for almost all of them (That wisdom prime is going to be oh so vital !) . However, the insanities and corruption will not be a sever as the Red Death/Ravenloft btb, and corruption will not cause the physical mutations in the character going down the dark path to control by The Red Death

Equipment etc – retrograde everything back to 1880

Armor … good luck, with it being Grim Gothic, the AA ‘Pulp’ armor is not allowed. With that, your dex modifier is going to be critical!

*** I'll use the BTD from powers book p 7
However, I will switch the gumshoe and the gadgeteer base bonus - there is no way a tough as nails PI should have lower AC than a techno geek.
Each class will start with their base BTD plus dex bonus, then AC will increase by +1 every 3 levels.

For the BTD, if you don't have the powers book, I'll let you kno the BTD after you make the character.
All that said, AC will still be lower than the normal hero C&C game, so the spells, talismans, charms and the like that will bump your AC at least for periods of time, or against specific types of monsters will still be something you will need

That said, it is Grim Gothic, so combat will be more dangerous than the standard C&C group of heroes wading into a troll’s layer and laying waste without fear of taking much damage.

The setting is Gothic Earth – 1880, with all main earth historic events happening as they did in our history (though there may be a darker sinister hand behind some of the events). The main game will be focused on the US, but there will be times that the characters are in other locations across the world.

With that, your character histories should cover from 1880 back to (however old you are). You don’t have to start with an American background, but if you don’t you may have limited contacts friend etc to reach out to once the game is focused in the US until you establish a good network of friends associates etc.

There are cabals and secret societies as per the 2e Red Death setting, I may ad modify or swap them as we play, but they will be out there for good and ill. With that, if you want to start with a contact in the secre society, it is possible, but use it with a soft hand (you are 1st level, and they are long hidden secret groups that survive because not every Tom Dick & Harry knows about them or has a contact into one). On the other hand, some classes are going to inherently be in at least close proximity to some of them even at 1st level simply because of the class itself. No Demon Hunter will exist outside of the sphere of influence of Van Helsing and his ilk.

A good background will be helpful – you are people stepping into the Grim Gothic Dark contesting against all those things that do more than go bump in the night, and just an average Joe tends to avoid that kind of life, so you need something to show why you are trudging, or being drawn down that dark dangerous path . With that, a background with some god idea seeds and ties for me to use will be beneficial to you in the long run (and maybe right out of the gate). Especially if you pull info from real historic 1880s events people etc (historic and literal, Mister Doyle’s great detective DOES exist in the Grim Gothic along with other literary /gothic persons)

If you have any questions concerns or want to kick around some ideas for your character, IM me.

If you need the AA books let me know & I’ll let you use my PDFs- I can’t email my Red Death book, it is to big and I can’ zip it down small enough to send.

It will be a discord based game, with theater of the mind. No maptools or roll 20 - so break out the old real life dice !

Oh yeah, nat 20 nat 1, I like the AA exploding nat 20 adding extra damage in combat, but that may not fit in non combat, so out of combat, the nat 20 may have results that end up helping you later. Similarly a nat 1 may set into motion things that effect you later.

Rule #1 trumps all

Also, remember this is a Grim Gothic setting so don't focus on the uber powerful fantasy character. Look at it as if you are characters in a Poe influenced story, so as we play & see that some rules (or that my DMing) leans more away from POE and toward classic fantasy, we may have to correct things back on track as we go.

& yes as I worked on the adventure for the 1st night I caught myself leaning to the fantasy hero and forgetting the Grim ... so I will have difficulty with it myself

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 am
Clang lives!

Post Re: Monday night Ne’er Do Wells Siege Masque of the Red Deat
Characte concept, in brief:

An American born Irishman, theologian/historian studied at a Jesuit college in New York. Got "special" training at the college by the Jesuits to hunt down demons, devils, and the like.

R-

My Game Threads

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

I'm out!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Rhuvein wrote:
I'm out!

Rgr, you will be missed. & like I told Mike, anytime you have a Monday you want to play, I'll have a good NPC for you to guest run

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]