BEST ONLINE ENGINE FOR C&C?

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
dcfitch
Ungern

BEST ONLINE ENGINE FOR C&C?

Post by dcfitch »

I have been a gamer since 1982, but I am new to C&C (even though it is TRUE D&D). I was wondering what online engine is best to use for C&C? Roll20? Fantasy Grounds? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: BEST ONLINE ENGINE FOR C&C?

Post by Rigon »

It just depends on which one you are more comfortable using. Nwelte and I like MapTools, Treebore prefers Roll20, and others that like Fantasy Grounds.

I like MT mainly because I've been using it for several years and the macros are easy to write, it's easy to drop maps/tokens/pictures onto the server, and it's easy for the players to find their own character tokens and drop them onto the server.

If Roll20 ever gets to the ease of use that MT has, then I might switch as it is slightly easier to connect to the server.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

My preference is Fantasy Grounds. All the needed automation is already built in, plus you have the full set of books available online via the interface, right at your fingertips, with stuff like inventory items, spells, weapons, etc., available via drag and drop from the various books right into your online character sheet.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

team Roll20. I love that place. I run 2-3 games on it right now. Plus, it is the most popular one right now and us Trolls are really trying to make in-roads into the community. So I would suggest Roll20.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Roll20 has nothing to install, runs in a browser on most operating systems, and at the paid level can be played from a tablet. It has basic macros, music, and an image and token library with some free stuff to get started, plus you can upload your own stuff. It's free for your players, and for the CK as well until a certain amount of storage space, and has audio and video (but we don't use video and use skype for audio.) It now has a character sheet.

I've used Maptool and FG II as well and like them both. Maptool development has slowed and there are a couple of forks being developed; one had a kickstarter not too long ago. The macro language is powerful but quirky. It has a token-oriented approach where all of your code, even if it has nothing to do with a token, has to live in a token. Creating a proper character sheet or a full game system is possible but arcane and doesn't exist for C&C beyond some property sheets and macros. The app itself is it written in Java, so is cross-platform but has at a few points in Java's life had some minor issues crop up.

FG II is PC only unless you run Wine or Crossover Office. FG II knows the most about C&C (if you buy the C&C components), and is very good in particular for modules (you can hyperlink parts of them together, drag and drop encounters from the monster and treasure book, create read-aloud and ck text to drop into the play window, etc.) It has kind of a funky interface and unless you buy the ultimate edition your players need to buy copies.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

dcfitch wrote:I have been a gamer since 1982, but I am new to C&C (even though it is TRUE D&D). I was wondering what online engine is best to use for C&C? Roll20? Fantasy Grounds? Thanks in advance for your help.
As others say: it's all good. Back when we started we used teamspeak for audio (skype didn't exist) and OpenRPG for maps which were both pretty quirky. And we walked to school in the snow uphill...both ways! :lol:

If you are new to the whole thing, or some of your players are not tech sophisticates, the ease of Roll20's browser connection is pretty useful. The other two require the host to set up a server, which usually requires setting up a static ip address.

In terms of features, Fantay Grounds used to be best, then maptools, then bare bones Roll 20, but Roll20 has come a long way in terms of features, maptools has stagnated, and Fantasy Grounds costs $. My personal preference is probably maptools but that is mostly because I have played 95% of my games on maptools and know the system

One key question is "where are your players?". If you already have a group, you can adopt whichever system you please, but if you are looking for players, one system might be easier to find players than the others. Generally, the player recruitment sections of all of these games are plastered with pathfinder and 5e games. C&C games are harder to find.

Good luck with it. I have been playing online exclusively for about a decade and it is awesome.

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

Thanks for all the responses! I will look into all the suggestions above.... Can't wait to get into a C&C campaign.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

dcfitch wrote:Thanks for all the responses! I will look into all the suggestions above.... Can't wait to get into a C&C campaign.
If you're looking to join a C&C game, slimykuotoan is getting a new campaign set up to start soon. I think he is still looking for players.

About Maptools vs. Roll20, I like them both. The main advantage of Roll20 is just what Aergraith said, that it's run on your browser and requires no DL (or set up with your firewall or IP address, which can be a real pain).

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

If anyone wants to try out Fantasy Grounds, I can run a one shot for your group. I have an Ultimate license, so no one needs to pay anything to get a sample of how it works.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Don't care for Roll20, I don't hate it - but it's too clunky for my tastes.

Maptools is the excellence, IMO! :D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

JohnD
Ungern

Post by JohnD »

I'm a big fan of Fantasy Grounds, have used it for over three years now. Excellent product and excellent value.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

And speaking of online C&C - my Tuesday night game needs more players. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have the ultimate license for Fantasy Grounds, so players do not need to purchase anything to play in my games. Tuesdays, 8-11pm US/Central. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.