Monday Night Kingdoms of Kalamar Game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Monday Night Kingdoms of Kalamar Game

Post by Lurker »

Fun fight last night, good high stress start with 2 of us being feared and running away (even better since it wasn't Lupa failing the save and running away like happens so often) then good fight and good tactics with the mass of cannon fodder and use of our tower. Then and finally, great end with the elf using fly fireballs and a rain of arrows to kill the spell caster and cleric.

I've been thinking, and I hate it, but we can't stay and clear out the temple . We can't even recover the bodies of my spies ... We have to take proof of the evil cleric mage etc to the city and then stop the Niawee from finishing kidnapping the songtress . Yeah I sent the local constables to stop him. However, I doubt the evil DM will let it go that easily ... I'd hate to spend the last few hours of the night raiding the temple, and cleansing it of its evil just to get home and find out that he and his party skulked out of the city with her and now has a 4 hour head start crossing the desert .

Once we make sure she is safe, we can come back and take care of the temple.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

What'd you go and do?

Sorry I missed, went for a walk and crashed.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

We tracked the worshipers of the god of murder that had kidnaped my street spies. We figured out (With Tree's druid turning into a bird) how to sneak around all the nugs to the entrance to the temple carved into the hills. We broke open the doors (covered by silence to not alert said nugs) 3 of us went into the temple and 2 turned and ran in fear. the 2 fighters and cleric (then a mage) attacked us from the temple. I eventually mocked on fighter enough that he came out, and tree crushed him with our favorite little fortress (using it to block the entrances to the temple). The assassin/thief/thug working for the Niawee was invisible and tried to back attack, but boloed the attack. We quickly killed him (he wasn't honorable and tried to back stab me from invisibility so I had no problem not dueling and killing him one on one). the leaders from the temple eventually lead the nuggs against the tower (they have a back door out of the temple). We laid waste to the nuggs but the cleric and mage rained fire down on us on the top of the tower (that did hurt a bit) so we all went in to fire from the 2nd floor arrow slits. Then the elf (invisible) flew to behind the mage ad cleric, hit them with a fire ball, hid again, fire balled them a 2nd time, then rained down arrows on them killing them both.

Barleg did a lot of shooting (lost of misses against the bigger bad guys in the temple, but then laid waste to the nuggs0 helped me burn a good group of nugs that got into oil flask distance of the tower, and I'm sure made fun of me when the fireball and then fire strike chased me scorched off the roof top.

Oh yeah, tree actually did his first successful thiefie back attack on a fighter and hit and did BIG damage
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The following items where found to be magical:

Bracers of armor +4
Spellbook: all 0 level, 12 1st level, 8 2nd level, 4 3rd level
Scale mail +2
Chainmail +3
Longsword +2
Longsword +1
Leather armor +4
Rapier +3
Ring of Minor fire resistance
Ring of Climbing

I also updated exp on the front page of the thread.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

only a little less than 25k till I get 8th level ... doesn't sound like a lot, but considering that would take Lupa from 1st all the way up to 5th level, it may take a while.

To make sure I'm tracking (I'm sure I've asked this before but can't remember for sure) items like magic bracers don't stack with magic armor correct ?

Lupa can't have his +2 steel breast plate and those bracers can he ?

Also, I can't have the gloves of dex and the ring of climbing on at the same time can I ?

Even If I can use the bracers and the ring(s) I'm sure they (the bracers) would be better Tree or some one else . I'm fairly sure I have the 2nd highest AC in the group so though the +4 (if it stacked with my +2 armor) would be nice, it will do someone else more help than me over all.

Similarly, the ring of climbing, I do have the thief ability, at 3rd level, plus the gloves of dex, so I am not perfect at it but fairly well skilled . Would it help Barleg or Sorousis more ?

If no one minds I would like to see if we can trade the +1 and +2 Long Swords for similar powered cut and thrust / swashbuckler swords for my 2 students , or better use the to pay for enspelling the masterwork swords I commissioned for them ?

To be an arrogant Bravo, I'd like to claim the rapier from the thief/assassin the Narwiee was using and send back to my family so they can rub it in the face of the Narwiee ... However, a +3 weapon is worth a lot (so I don't want o let pride waste all that party money you all earned) and it wasn't a true fair duel, so Lupa won't do more than mention it in passing.

Rigon, I just thought of something. As a swashbuckler, I have the combat sense ability,

starting at 3rd Level
Combat sense (Wis)
The swashbuckler has a canny ability to sense (and avoid) attacks that would surprise others.
With a successful wisdom check, the swashbuckler can cancel the to hit bonuses for a thief/assassins surprise based attacks, or avoid a back attack from any class (The attack can still be attempted but will have no bonus to hit)
At 6th level, even with a failed wisdom check, the attacker's bonus is limited to half
At 9th level a swashbuckler cannot be surprise / back attacked
What about when the bad guy is invisible ? Is the invisibility spell level the wisdom check DC ?

Oh yeah, I don't remember anyone stating it prior to us leaving with the Duke's son, if they did great, if not ... we need to re-provision our little tower of safety. We have had up to 3 archers raining arrows of death out of it and my cross bow, plus what was shot from its provisions the last few times we used it. Also, it would probably be a good idea to put flasks of oil and torches in it too ... I wonder can we put a kettle for burning pitch and tar on its roof and have that shrink and be stored when the tower is minimized and expanded ?

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Bracers of armor do not stack with magical armor, as it's the same type of bonus. Just like rings of protection don't stack with magical armor/bracers. You can wear rings with gloves.

As to your class skills, you have to remind me on things like that. But since he was invisible, I would have probably had the CL fairly high.

Stocking the tower is something I'd have to look into. I'm not sure what all you can keep in it when it shrinks. I know it won't close when there is a person in it. I'll research the rest.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'll throw in for either of the rings. I'm good with both armor and weapons for now.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

After doing some research into the instant fortress, I will allow you to supply it with standard rations (50 or so days worth) and standard equipment (ie: rope, spare armor/weapons, backpack, even a ballista - no more than 500 lbs of stuff) and 5 small (15 gal) casks. As to the burning vat of oil, you can have a vat (again no larger than 15 gals and counts against the cask limit), but it can't be burning all the time. You can activate the tower, start a fire and boil oil (if you want), but you can't start a fire, get the oil boiling and then deactivate the tower... Well, you could, but the oil would not be boiling when you reactivated it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:After doing some research into the instant fortress, I will allow you to supply it with standard rations (50 or so days worth) and standard equipment (ie: rope, spare armor/weapons, backpack, even a ballista - no more than 500 lbs of stuff) and 5 small (15 gal) casks. As to the burning vat of oil, you can have a vat (again no larger than 15 gals and counts against the cask limit), but it can't be burning all the time. You can activate the tower, start a fire and boil oil (if you want), but you can't start a fire, get the oil boiling and then deactivate the tower... Well, you could, but the oil would not be boiling when you reactivated it.

R-
Rgr that is what I meant, I must have miss typed if you thought it was a permanently burning fire with oil and pitch ready the second we popped open the little home of ours. As for the supplies, as a good Bravo, Lupa will want some good wine as part of the provisions, then some cheep wine for Barleg. No use wasting good wine on him ;)
maximus wrote:I'll throw in for either of the rings. I'm good with both armor and weapons for now.
Rangers don't have a climb ability, so I'd vote the climb ring for you.

To bad we can't transfer the raper's +3 to Dardo, the additional bonus to hit would be great. but Lupa couldn't be paid to trade his trusty Dardo for even that magical of a dandy's needle.

Like I said with the 2 magical L Swords, I'd like to trade them to get the masterwork cut-n-thrust swords I commissioned for my 2 students enspelled.

If everyone is maxed out on AC I could use the bracers with my steal breast plate as the base AC, and use the magic +4 from the bracers instead of the armor's + 2. But I'm sure one of you could use the bracers more than I need an additional +2

The ring of fire protection could be helpful if they keep raining fireballs and divine fire from the skies on me while I'm out on the roof top shooting and using my ever smoking bottle. But is someone needs it more no problem.

Now that leaves armor (how is the cleric in that area )

and the spell book, I wonder who want's that ??? :lol:

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker, you could either use the bracers or the armor, not both. The bracer's magic replaces armor of any kind.

And rangers have a scale ability which is similar to climb.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There is nothing in that list my character wants. The Ring of Climbing would be a nice consolation prize, but I already have plenty of ways to avoid climbing.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Good point Rigon, plus I can levitate. Tree might be better suited with the ring of climbing.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:Lurker, you could either use the bracers or the armor, not both. The bracer's magic replaces armor of any kind.

And rangers have a scale ability which is similar to climb.

R-
Ok rgr, I think I got it now ... at least till I fall asleep and data dump any way.

So, who has less than AC 14 ? IF anyone does they should get the bracers

I must have missed the 'scale' ability when I glanced at my hand book.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Do we have a list of our assets?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:Do we have a list of our assets?
The following items where found to be magical:

Bracers of armor +4
Spellbook: all 0 level, 12 1st level, 8 2nd level, 4 3rd level
Scale mail +2
Chainmail +3
Longsword +2
Longsword +1
Leather armor +4
Rapier +3
Ring of Minor fire resistance
Ring of Climbing

I also updated exp on the front page of the thread.

R-
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Or do you mean person by person ?

If so Lupa has
Dardo (+2 Blessed / Prayer) broad sword
Steel Breast plate +2
Buckler +2
Helm (underwater free action breathing etc)
Gloves of dexterity

I just bought - Boots of striding & springing

For the group I have
Ever smoking bottle
Fan of winds

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Or do you mean person by person ?

If so Lupa has
Dardo (+2 Blessed / Prayer) broad sword
Steel Breast plate +2
Buckler +2
Helm (underwater free action breathing etc)
Gloves of dexterity

I just bought - Boots of striding & springing

For the group I have
Ever smoking bottle
Fan of winds
I was thinking group treasure

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Hey guys, sorry to do this on short notice, but I'm feeling like crap and it's the Mary's birthday eve, so I'm going to cancel and spend time with her and turn in early. Sorry for any inconvenience.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rgr, get some rest, take some good meds, feel better, have a good Mrs' Birthday.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My game January 1, 2018. No game on Christmas.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Did we leave off back in the city?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My recollection was that you were still at the temple and had not decided if you were going back to the city yet or searching the rest of the temple.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:My recollection was that you were still at the temple and had not decided if you were going back to the city yet or searching the rest of the temple.

R-
Rgr, we were going to search the temple, then after the game I remembered that there was still the songstress that was kidnaped. I'd hate to depend on the local cops to save her. So, Lupa will remember it after catching a breath and then say we need to get back to the city as fast as possible and see if she needs saving.

We can raid the temple later. it isn't going any where.

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

"See you in Zoa"

It just hit me, Lupa can't go back to Zoa for something like 7 more years with the 10 year ostracism ... Not unless his family & their political allies can get the ostracism lifted.

If he does he will legally cause his father to be removed as an officer and Aide-de-Camp to the Master of The Castle, and lead of the castle guards, and be expelled for 10 years. Plus Lupa will lose his claim to being a member of the family, and be an outlaw to all Zoa citizens ...

That is the one thing Lupa will not do ...

With that Lupa will try to have any priest that will do it for him divine if there is a place he can intercept the Niawee and the kidnapped songstress on their way back to Zoa, if there is a ship that can catch theirs that I can sail on, etc & scry to see the ship they are on etc

His only hope is that the Niawee is on a standard cargo ship that will stop and trade in the normal ports in S Kalamar, N Svimohia, & around the horn into Reanaarian Bay. That would give a fast ship a chance at catching them before reaching the home port of Zoa

If there is no way to head them off, he will see if the ostracism can be lifted. If not then he will see if his family can free the songstress by legal means, or by a covert raid on them. But, he will not risk his father's loss of his office and expulsion for 10 years by stepping foot in Zoa

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

:twisted: -insert evil CK laughter- :twisted:

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

We certainly have some decisions to make. Will the Prince release us from service? Are we finished in Djeshy? We might want to sell all the armor & weapons we won't be using to lighten our load as well. I'm overdue for a visit to the magic shop as well. I missed that session...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote::twisted: -insert evil CK laughter- :twisted:

R-
Sooooo it was done purposefuly ... Rgr that

& after the day I had today I should expect nothing less ...
maximus wrote:We certainly have some decisions to make. Will the Prince release us from service? Are we finished in Djeshy? We might want to sell all the armor & weapons we won't be using to lighten our load as well. I'm overdue for a visit to the magic shop as well. I missed that session...
Rgr, and everything I said earlier about wanting the magic L Swords to sell for my students to get magic cut & thrust swords and not neededing anything else is out the window. I'll use my share the loot to buy scrying & divination to see it and how to cut them off before Zoa /Eanniarian bay . If it is unlikely that we can cut them off, then I will pay for a magical message to try and get the exile lifted of to have my family prepare an ambush for them in Zoa

For your magic items, yeah you need to try and get some specific to what you need at the shop. Plus I know we can all use some cure potions

Hay ... fan of winds ... I have it for the party ... that will give us / the ship we are on a once a day gust of wind, that may help ... ok just read the description ... 1 round ... 6 seconds not that helpful

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote::twisted: -insert evil CK laughter- :twisted:

R-
Sooooo it was done purposefuly ... Rgr that

& after the day I had today I should expect nothing less ...
Of course I did on purpose. What fun is the rescue if you don't have to work for it?
:twisted: -more evil CK laughter- :twisted:

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

All,
Sorry if I sounded defeatist above, it was a VERY rough week at work and Tuesday & Wednesday were very bad days...

Now that the dust has settled, I do feel better in general and about the challenge of having to save her BEFORE getting to Zoa. However, it still stands that Lupa will not enter zoa lands and risk his father's position and safety.

Now, as I don't know, but Lupa may know, what magic can be used and are available to 1 figure out their path and figure out how to get ahead of them, 2 travel at rapid pace to get ahead of them 3 hinder their travel, 4 get rapid word to Zoa about them & possible lifting my ostracism.

If Lupa doesn't know, he will be asking the magic users in the party, and the local benefactors we know and have access too.

I know all those magic's will be expensive, and Lupa can't cover it with his funds, and even with the support of his family's trade and influence, so he will bargain with his talent and skills, offering a trade of him working for them and accomplishing something(s) (after the songstress is saved).

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:All,
Sorry if I sounded defeatist above, it was a VERY rough week at work and Tuesday & Wednesday were very bad days...

Now that the dust has settled, I do feel better in general and about the challenge of having to save her BEFORE getting to Zoa. However, it still stands that Lupa will not enter zoa lands and risk his father's position and safety.

Now, as I don't know, but Lupa may know, what magic can be used and are available to 1 figure out their path and figure out how to get ahead of them, 2 travel at rapid pace to get ahead of them 3 hinder their travel, 4 get rapid word to Zoa about them & possible lifting my ostracism.

If Lupa doesn't know, he will be asking the magic users in the party, and the local benefactors we know and have access too.

I know all those magic's will be expensive, and Lupa can't cover it with his funds, and even with the support of his family's trade and influence, so he will bargain with his talent and skills, offering a trade of him working for them and accomplishing something(s) (after the songstress is saved).
Clerics, and to a much lesser extent, Druids can help with much of that. If we can actually get on their actual trail, on land, Druids can help a lot.