Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Post Reply
User avatar
Gringnr
Ulthal
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Gringnr »

OK, been a while since I used SKYPE. Are SKYPE to SKYPE calls still free? I'm not trying to subscribe.....maybe I'm just being cheap lol.

Also, I'm not gonna be able to do 7. So I will deffo have to wait for another opportunity... I get off work at 7 on Sundays. I was looking at ways to work it out, but nah, it's not gonna work. Which sucks, but I will finish my character anyway(I have a neat concept for him) and look for another opportunity. And I will stay in touch here. Still very much interested. But I will only make a commitment if I know I can keep it.

And, as always, thanks for your help and patience. I hope to play this game soon. The community here is awesome!
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:OK, been a while since I used SKYPE. Are SKYPE to SKYPE calls still free? I'm not trying to subscribe.....maybe I'm just being cheap lol.

Also, I'm not gonna be able to do 7. So I will deffo have to wait for another opportunity... I get off work at 7 on Sundays. I was looking at ways to work it out, but nah, it's not gonna work. Which sucks, but I will finish my character anyway(I have a neat concept for him) and look for another opportunity. And I will stay in touch here. Still very much interested. But I will only make a commitment if I know I can keep it.
SKYPE is free.

7 is start, but you can certainly join us later in the evening if you wish.

With online games, us CKs are very flexible - so no worries there with regard to how and when you can play.

So, you don't necessarily need to commit to every Sunday.

I sense that you would like to try to game with us. Do it!

Even if your char is not ready, feel free to join the call and listen in to see what the gaming experience is all about.

Rhu. :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Gringnr
Ulthal
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Gringnr wrote:OK, been a while since I used SKYPE. Are SKYPE to SKYPE calls still free? I'm not trying to subscribe.....maybe I'm just being cheap lol.

Also, I'm not gonna be able to do 7. So I will deffo have to wait for another opportunity... I get off work at 7 on Sundays. I was looking at ways to work it out, but nah, it's not gonna work. Which sucks, but I will finish my character anyway(I have a neat concept for him) and look for another opportunity. And I will stay in touch here. Still very much interested. But I will only make a commitment if I know I can keep it.
SKYPE is free.

7 is start, but you can certainly join us later in the evening if you wish.

With online games, us CKs are very flexible - so no worries there with regard to how and when you can play.

So, you don't necessarily need to commit to every Sunday.

I sense that you would like to try to game with us. Do it!

Even if your char is not ready, feel free to join the call and listen in to see what the gaming experience is all about.

Rhu. :)
Sure, man, I will then. I was only hesitating because I didn't want to hold the game or group back. So, yes, I will definitely be here tomorrow night. Lemme get my SKYPE deal worked out.....and thanks!

Edit: I just added you to my contacts list, Rhuvein. But I will be using an old SKYPE account that is still active(Microsoft never forgets).... you will be getting a message from excla.melonase ....NOT TheRealGringnr.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent, see you there . . . or here! :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Treebore »

At best, it looks like I will be late tonight, and very possibly miss the entire evening. I'll play if and when I can.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

OK, Tree. Thanks for posting.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

New character, played by Aergraith's wife:

Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, Elderly (300 years old) Female Gnome Cleric Level 1

AC 14 (cuir bouille and buckler)

Hit points 6

STR 10
DEX 7
CON 9
INT 10
WIS 17
CHA 10

Weapons:
Knitting needles which do double duty to hold up her hairdo ( I thought I could use the dirk stats for this)
A big-ass wrench passed down through the Tinkerton family line on her mother's side. (I was thinking I would use the heavy mace stats for this)
Sling with rocks


Worships:

Alisa Copperpot (Of Gods and Monsters)
Deity of Rune Waving and Magic
Symbols: Knitting Needles, Yarn Ball, Silver Ring, Scroll Tube
Deity Province: All types of weaving and magic use
Granted Abilities: Worshippers make unusually warm cloaks, so much so that they are +2 in protection for armor and magical checks.

Benekander (from Mystara's Wrath of the Immortals)
Some engineering guy from a spaceship that crashed thousands of years ago in Black Moor. Everyone kind of thinks he is an immortal but he is actually just a regular guy. His symbol is a wrench,

Stuff Carried:

Quartz crystal
lodestone
holy water
wolfsbane
travel tea set including: tea leaves. kettle, mug
yarn (string in the book)
bandages x 3
sewing kit
tinderbox
flint
winter clothing
rations - 1 week
tobacco
2 wooden holy symbols
shoulder pack
winter blanket
winter clothes
37 gold

She also has a non-magical pet jumping spider (less than 1 cm in width) just for flavour.
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Server is up

Rhu's game

pass = tron

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Great session!

Welcome to Aergraith's wife and Gringnr!!

Many thanks to y'all!

:D
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
ssfsx17
Unkbartig
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 am
Location: San Francisco Region

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by ssfsx17 »

Since Norik and Barduris survived a quest, they now have backgrounds.

=== Norik's Background ===

Languages: Common, Dwarven

Patron God: Lathander - creation, life, etc.

Many of Norik's relatives were hammered, imprisoned, and executed because they did not craft things exactly the way their Mountainhome King wanted. Some examples of the king's pronouncements against his family:
- The pattern of Mythral must have this exact ratio. You did not follow it, therefore you are sentenced to 10 hammers.
- My ancestor liked obsidian chairs, gilded and encrusted with chrysolites. You encrusted the chair with chrysoberyls, therefore you are sentenced to 50 hammers.
- My throne must be made of darkwood. You instead made it of ebony wood, therefore you shall be executed for disrespecting the throne.
- Your donation to the temple of Mythral was short by one copper piece, because you rounded your fractional taxes differently from the official recordkeeper. Therefore you must be chained to the floor of the dungeon for 300 days.

Norik picked up all his belongings, arms, and armor, and walked out of the Mountainhome. He felt that he had no worthwhile kin left alive there. He still wanted to be a cleric, but he was thoroughly disillusioned with the entirety of peacetime Dwarven gods, traditions, and culture. He started worshipping Lathander because he was a god of both creation and life. Norik felt that Dwarven gods were of creation and death instead.

Norik's temple of Lathander hired Barduris to help him kill some critters. Norik felt that he did not need any help, and so resented this greatly. Nevertheless, Barduris is attached to him by contract. Norik begrudgingly allows Barduris to accompany him on his various adventures. He is also still in a big learning process, as he does not know as much about Lathander as a human does.

=== Barduris' Background ===

Languages: Common, Orc

Father was a human named Bartan, mother was an orc named Dura. His older brother is Bardum, and Bardum was much more justice-minded.

He worships no gods. He does not know much about any of them. Perhaps one day, he will find a patron god who he feels kinship with.

When Bardum and Barduris were young, their human father Bartan tried to kill them, because they were "so ugly and good for nothing," and Dura looked on approvingly. So Bardum took up his orcish uncle's large mace and smashed both their parents to death. This was the first time Bardum knew rage against injustice.

Bardum took Barduris to join various fighting guilds. Bardum was the most motivated one, always trying to correct injustices, and getting angry at those who would harm innocents. Barduris took more readily to the piercing axe, preferring to do jobs quickly and professionally. They split ways. Bardum went on to join another adventuring party, while Barduris served as a mercenary for some time.

Eventually, Barduris got hired by a temple of Lathander to help Norik kill some critters - against Norik's protests that he didn't need any help. Since then, Barduris has followed Norik due to the contract he is under. He knows that Norik doesn't like him, but he figures that this is the best deal he can get in life for now.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

That is fantastic, ssfsx17!
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

ssfsx17 wrote:Father was a human named Bartan, mother was an orc named Dura.
Now this is interesting.

In my D&D mind, I always sort of figured that half-orcs were the product of a male orc rape of a human women!

So that, when I introduced C&C to my daughter and nephews, I didn't have any half-orcs (didn't want to go there as to explanations and such) so I created half-giant class ~ a la Hagrid from Harry Potter.

Anyway, I have thoughts . . . re: Barduris. I will PM you with them for your review!

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Session III ~ Expedition to the Ice Crystal Grotto.

Players:

ssfsx17 as:

Norik, dwarf cleric
Barduris, half-orc fighter

Aergraith as:

Elderberry Scrubroot, gnome rogue

Aergraith's wife as:

Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, gnome cleric

Gringnr as:

Gringnr, dwarf cleric

Aristobulous Falthor, elf mage

The action:

The party in the vault room descend the stairs and open the door. Elderberry peeks in and sees 5 undead creatures known as Haugbui. Their stature seems to be of dwarven size. He steps back and alerts the party.

The 2 clerics, Penny and Norik working together are able to turn 3 Haugs who then move to the corner and cower.

Barduris and Norik destroy the other 2 haugs and then the party kill the cowering haugs. A small stash of weapons and jewelry are found:

A gnome sized broadsword
A ring
An amulet
A large mace

The party recalled a section of the dungeon that was not explored and carefully make their way to that area.

They find the secret door to the entrance of the 2nd vault room and descend down to the vault itself. There they encounter 5 skeletons armed with crossbows!
The skellys are turned and quickly killed. Unfortunately, all but 1 crossbow are destroyed in the combat.

Elderberry opens the vault door and see a stone statue. As he advances a step into the room, the statue animates and lifts his arms in an aggressive manor. He moves back and Gringnr moves into the doorway to observe the golem. He sees dwarven runes upon the base. He tells the party that only dwarves can move past the golem to get to vault.

The special key from Captain Hrothgar and the Abbot opens the vault and the chest within. The party takes possession of Page 2 of the Codex Argenteus which is in a special container.

Upon exiting the Ice Crystal Grotto cave entrance, the party is ambushed by hobgoblins. The shaman casts sleep and all the adventurers fall down in slumber except Aristobulus. Hob archers take shots at him but miss as he ducks down for cover.

As Aristobulus scans the area and can see some of the hobgolbins, he suddenly sees several of them take arrow hits from behind. Aristobulus moves quickly to wake Penny, who then wakes up Elderberry.

More arrows reign out from behind the hobgoblins. The rest of the party comes awake and they attack the hobgoblins and kill them all. Arlyss comes out of the bushes followed by Nils leading the mules.

2 bows are retrieved as well as a halbard and axe. Some gold and silver pieces are found on the hobs. The hobs are then dragged out to an opening where Torsten, Torgils and Torger will wait a day or so before feasting.

As you leave the area on your mules - you hear Torgils exclaim, "I'm not eating those ugly brutes! Can't they leave us at least one mule?" Torsten ruffles his feather and says in reply, "You'll be the first one in that fat hairy brute tomorrow!!" Torger blinks and defecates on his scaled legs and drawls, "Ah that feels good!".
"I . . will not . . . Torger is the one who will eat anything!", bellows Torgils!

The adventurers chuckle and then leave to follow the main trail back to the Abbey. Along the way, the group meets up with the Snow Elf Princess Freylin and her pet Kayla - as well as a small band of elven fighters/archers. She asks the party about their mission and the group tells gives her a brief summary of what occurred at the dwarven outpost.

She then excuses herself and walks over to Nils, who is tending to some of the mules. They converse out of hearing range. She seems happy and oddly animated when talking to Nils. Kayla, her big cat familiar is nearby and lays down purring while they talk as Nils scratches her head.

Freylyn then gives the brutish half-orc a hug and saunters back to the party. She and her captain and the rest of the snow elves give the party a farewell greeting and they turn to head north back up into the mountains.

It's a beautiful day to journey and the party observes giant eagles flying above as well as artic fox roaming up in the hill in addition to seeing many other woodland creatures going about their business.

All seems perfect for travelling until the adventurers round a bend and and are surprised by
group of harpies ~ some sitting on high rocks, others flying around. One begins to sing and
several party members are enthralled by the song.

Arlyss, sensing danger exchanges looks with Nils who seems to nod.

The half-orc drudge suddenly walks toward them and throws a ruby gem up in the air to harpy 2. The singing harpy, seeing the bauble - abruptly stops her song and takes flight to go after harpy 2.

Harpy 2 grabs the gem and flies away. All the others turn and follow, flying and attacking her as she tries to get away with the beautiful ruby.

A huge battle ensues with the harpies ripping each other to shreds . . hmmm, thinking of the Blondie song ~ Rip her to Shreds!

Back to the Abbey, where Sir Regis identifies the magic items and arms and then gives each party member a sack of 50 GPs!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

XP

I goofed up the XP slightly for session I and II. Fix it.

I'll put the running total on page 1.

XP for session III

277 for each adventurer!

I'll post treasure and equipment found soon.

Harpy bag containing 2 small pearls.
1 skelly crossbow (aged and beaten ~ -1 to hit).
3 useable bolts.
2 bows from hobs
7 arrows
shaman staff of evil

Still updating . . 5/18/15 9PM central

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

If anyone remembers any other action or cool stuff done whilst playing, feel free to post same.

Or if I have forgotten any loot, lemeno!

Thanks!

Rhu. :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Tomorrow is a holiday, so if anyone can't make it tonight - no worries.

But, I do plan on running the game ~ only it will start 1 hour later or so as I have to work this afternoon.

I'll have SKYPE and Maptools up before I leave for work, so if anyone wants to chat or set up macros you can.

I should be online at 8:15 PM CDS!

See ya then!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Great session and game!

Thanks to all who played.

Whoa, some excellent combat and role playing fun!!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

I see Penny-Whistle is a new member of our forums!! :D
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
ssfsx17
Unkbartig
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 am
Location: San Francisco Region

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by ssfsx17 »

Crazy session! We got pretty close to a TPK twice, but luckily for us, our great and awesome CK has seen fit to provide us with a powerful NPC to babysit us.

----

Both Norik and Barduris were wrapped in bandages, almost looking like mummies. They were laying down on comfy beds in the Silver Dragon Inn, full of solid food and the house's special brew.

Norik muttered, "You should have run away from that fight."

Barduris clapped Norik on the shoulder. "What, and leave you for worg food? I'm sworn to protect your sorry ass, whether you like it or not. And I'm not gonna turn down a good scrap."

"Don't you have more in common with those ugly bastards than with any of us?"

"Look, Norik. I don't know a whole lot about Lathander or whoever it is you worship, but your god doesn't discriminate between races. So why should you?"

"Yeah, yeah, morning and renewal and all that. But orcs and ogrillons make it awfully hard to believe that the new dawn is gonna happen while those abominations are out there corrupting the world and spreading chaos across the land."

"If you say so. I'm gonna spy on my half-orc compatriot." With that, Barduris dragged himself out of bed and crawled over to the stables.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Haha!!!!

Excellente!

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Treebore »

My Half Orc Ranger, Verthak, is posted on page 1 in the same post Aristobulus is posted. Just let me know when you want me to use him, if its before Aris dies.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:My Half Orc Ranger, Verthak, is posted on page 1 in the same post Aristobulus is posted. Just let me know when you want me to use him, if its before Aris dies.
Very good. I'll take a look at him!

Is Aristobulus a member of the Mystic Enclave and . . is he named after the quasi or is it demi deity Aristobulus in Aihrde?? :)

[I know we sort of picked his name for you, but feel free to keep it or choose another]

Also, pick 3 deities for your char!

Thanks.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:
Treebore wrote:My Half Orc Ranger, Verthak, is posted on page 1 in the same post Aristobulus is posted. Just let me know when you want me to use him, if its before Aris dies.
Very good. I'll take a look at him!

Is Aristobulus a member of the Mystic Enclave and . . is he named after the quasi or is it demi deity Aristobulus in Aihrde?? :)

[I know we sort of picked his name for you, but feel free to keep it or choose another]

Also, pick 3 deities for your char!

Thanks.

:)
He'd be interested in becoming a member of the Mystic Enclave, but he currently belongs to nothing, His teacher was an independent Elven Wizard that lived deep in the forests. As for where his name came from, he never found out. I also added three deities to each of my characters. I went Greyhawk with Aris, and and Forgotten Realms with Verth.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Penny-Whistle
Ulthal
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:I see Penny-Whistle is a new member of our forums!! :D

Thanks for having me! You are running such a fun game. I very much enjoyed the improv you and Aergraith performed last night.

Here's my re-cap of last night's game. Short on details because that is just the way it IS with gnomes.

Dearest Winky-dink,

So much has happened since the last time I wrote. There is the small matter of my temporary death but more importantly I haven't had a moment's grace to work on the toque I've been knitting for baby Pickle-knot. Grr. I sometimes think this adventuring business is perhaps a bit too disruptive.

Naturally, you will want to know how your dear son Elderberry is fairing. Isn't he just the cleverest gnome? A natural born rogue: quick of thought and sly of hand. But you brought him up good and proper like. He is as devout a gnome as any mother could hope. And brave. When I fell like a sack of turnips he was the one who dragged me out of the melee to safety. There will be an extra slice of rhubarb pie for him when we get back but I fear the lovely scarf you wove for me for Mother's Day was torn. Completely ruined. Regret. I ought to have left it at home.

If you received my other note you will know we recovered the first page of the codex and are en route for the second. Any doubts I had that the balance of good and evil is out of wack have dissolved like sugar in hot tea. We saw the oddest creatures on a public highway. They looked like bears with the beaks of owls. No. Really. I haven't been nibbling mushrooms. Lately. As ridiculous as they may sound they were tough bastards. If it wasn't for some divine intervention in the form of a saber toothed tiger we would have been done for. All praise to Alisa Copperpot and please pass the peas.

The second codex page is supposed to be held in a sorcerer's tower. We had a bit of a set back yesterday as we approached. In fact, pretty much all of us died. More evidence that the balance needs to be restored. It seemed we had no luck what-so-ever. Peeps were dropping weapons left and right. Our feets were tripping and slipping like kinderkids playing lacrosse in the mud. We couldn't have been more clumsy-mumsy. You know how odd it seems when a surefooted housecat accidentally slips from the mantle? Imagine the same kind of thing with a genuine Elf! If it hadn't been a matter of life or death I would have laughed myself silly. You do NOT want to know where that sling got all wound up. Ahem. Ok. Maybe you do but I'll tell you in person next time we meet. Snort.

I have a new respect for the half-orcs of the world. Barduris is as happy in battle as a dog playing frisbee. Poor Nils. He is so humble he prefers to sleep in stables rather than inns. I had to show him how to hold a tea cup. Poor creature. I intend to bake him a batch of Really Good Cookies when this is all done. And maybe slip a comb into his pocket when he isn't looking. He'll groom the horses all night long yet pay no mind to his own coif.

Any-hoo. This tower seems to be swarming with orcs and some particularly nasty Things that sort of look like orcs but are bigger and even scarier. Maybe their mothers sprinkled them with bone meal after they sprouted. They are tougher, meaner and believe it or not even uglier than your garden variety orc. Shudder.

Norik, the dwarven cleric was particularly offended by these foul beings. Gods how I wish I had had my fountain pen handy during the battle. He made the Most Inspirational Speech Ever. Don't you just hate near death experiences? Quite inconvenient. If I hadn't been lying in the mud mostly unconscious I should have liked to record his words for posterity. But he is a most intrepid fellow. We've come to expect that sort of from dwarves but it is always nice to bear witness. Worships the wrong sort of god naturally but I feel I can overlook that.

Today we rest recovering from our near-deaths. You and the rest of the family are in my thoughts. Hope all is well at the temple. May your yarn always remain untangled.

Love,
Granny Penny-Whistle

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Treebore »

Awesome "letter"! Love it!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Yep, great letter Penny!!

Well done!

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

Session IV XP = 380 per character!
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Mink Hollow

Post by Tadhg »

Session IV ~ Journey to the Sorceress' Tower.

Players:

ssfsx17 as:

Norik, dwarf cleric
Barduris, half-orc fighter

Aergraith as:

Elderberry Scrubroot, gnome rogue

Aergraith's wife as:

Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, gnome cleric

Treebore as:

Aristobulous Falthor, elf mage

The action:

The party rests ups and recuperates at Fountains Abbey for a couple of days. They enjoy some excellent food and wine while the Abbot hosts a dinner for the group. He introduces you to some of the other guests in the great dining hall.

You meet a tall, very handsome half-elf named Argentim who seems to have a very regal bearing but is friendly and engaging. Hrothgar the dwarf captain of the guard is in attendance as well. Other guests include Prospero, a powerful wizard who occupies the tower on the Abbey grounds ~ and Count Rhuvein, a battle mage from Jomsborg in Normandia who brings news from the mainland about the current situation in Dania. He is accompanied by Shu Lien, a monk swordsmaster from the other side of the world.

After dinner all the guests gather in the great library lounge for Valunan fire amber, sweets, tea and pipe smoking ~ featuring longbottom leaf from Knobhill.

Sir Regis explains the next adventure to the group. He tells them about Mariel's Tower and the complex underneath. She uses it to house guests and conduct training for young sorcerers and sorceresses. There is a laboratory, dining rooms, guest quarters and various other rooms.

He shows the party a rough map of the tower and complex. On the west side, there is an old dwarven outpost where the dwarves stayed when they built the structure. It has since been abandoned and it's suspected that humanoids have moved in.

Captain Hrothgar tells them that the vault containing page 2 of the Codex of Argenteus is in the back of the dungeon complex and can be accessed from the dwarf entrance or though Mariel's lower quarters. He gives them a key to the front door of the tower.

Sir Regis tells you that the tower and her part of the complex underneath are likely trapped. He doesn't believe that anyone is there now as Mariel has been away.

The party gladly agrees to find the Codex scroll and bring it back to the abbey. The group spends the night and gets ready to leave the next morning. Norik and Barduris ask if Nils could accompany the group. Sir Regis tells you that he would wish to continue with the party and so he sends an acolyte to fetch the drudge.

The journey south from the Abbey begins and the party sees a few travelers. At a point about half way to the Inn of the Dancing Goats, the trail narrows and the trees and bushes are very heavy.

Suddenly, 2 owls bears swiftly run out from the brush to attack. A fierce battle ensues with the adventurers fighting hard, but losing ground. Then another owlbear joins the frey. Blood, guts and feathers are flying ~ when out the trees, comes a saber toothed cat leaping onto an owlbear. Raking and biting, the cat does massive damage while only taking a little damage to herself.

The battle ends and the cat disappears. The party recovers and heals up and then begin to move out. As they walk, some of the adventurers thought but were not quite sure if Nils seemed to not be there when the cat appeared. They couldn't be positive as they were all engaged in battle, so they held their thoughts until later.

At diner the party discuss the events with the owlbears and they confirm that Nils did indeed disappear about the time the cat approached. Later when the battle was concluded, Nils was standing - holding the reigns of his mount while looking for something in his saddle bags. Nobody is quite sure what happened as they were all fighting for their lives. Some thought that the gods are watching over them. And then, there was some talk of Nils being a druid. Fatigue overtook the adventurers and they retired for the evening, glad to be in a warm cozy bed.

The party spends a few days resting up at the DGInn rewarding themselves with good rooms, baths, meals and liquid refreshment. They meet and talk with locals and travelers from Tronheim and Helsingborg getting the latest news.

The journey to Knobhill is uneventful and the weather is perfect.

The Sorceress’ Tower is in an area called Mink Hollow.

Upon reaching the tower, the party observes two dragonets perched in 2 different trees watching them. And from behind the bushes a fierce looking dragonne appears and growls loudly. The group is cautious but realizes they are seeing an illusion as the dragonets smile and fly to another tree. The dragonne fades away.

The party then cautiously moves around to the west side of the tower complex to survey and see if they can find an entrance. They use the thick woods as cover.

The entrance way is spotted and the group sees a well nearby. Elderberry prays and drops a coin into the well. After some moments he feels as if he is more dexterous than before.

A rock is thrown in through the entrance way and within seconds two orc guards poke their heads out to look around.

Elderberry walks towards them and introduces his self speaking in a goblinish tongue.

The orcs seemed confused and a bit surprised at the gnome, but they don't feel threatened so they relax.

The orcs only slightly understand him as they struggle to translate goblin to orc.

Lion sounds are heard, and he then convinces an orc to follow him out to the woods for some fresh meat. They get down on the ground as more lion sounds are heard.

The other orc waits a bit and then, being somewhat suspicious head back into the complex.

Suddenly several orcs mass at the entrance way looking fierce and ready to do battle. They are sound bursted. More orcs and a worg come out as the party advances. Some are slept, others get out to fight. Then orgrillons come out with an orc sgt. and another worg.

The gnomes give the humanoids much trouble but ultimately succumb the stronger monsters.

Norik and Barduris show tremendous courage and fighting ability and are able to kill many of the evil creatures.

However, the party takes massive damage as they try to fight off the monsters. The elf mage realizes that he can only help the party by falling back into the woods. He may have another chance to come to their aid after he can assess the situation later.

Nils, seeing several adventurers fall down unconscious ~ moves up to attack the monsters. They can't seem to hit him, but he is able to inflict serious damage and kill several of them.

Some party members heal others and they fight continues with the group defeating all the monsters.

The adventurers decide to head back to Knobhill rather than camp/rest in the woods (I think, right?)

[This was an excellent play test of this encounter by the party. I didn't think to have orc x-bow men at the ready, as I assumed the party would enter the dungeon and I could put the squeeze on them from two directions inside. Close quarter fighting might have been quite crazy. So, by luring the monsters into the tight entrance and then drawing them outside worked very well for awhile.]

Let me know if I have forgotten anything or messed up the order of the battle events. I know some of the monsters were charmed (karmed, as Hagrid would say)!

Work in progress! Updated on 5/29/15, complete.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
ssfsx17
Unkbartig
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 am
Location: San Francisco Region

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by ssfsx17 »

Lovin' it!
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

User avatar
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

ssfsx17 wrote:Lovin' it!
Thanks . . to you!! :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Post Reply