Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Rhu's Sunday night Silver Dragon play test

Post by Tadhg »

This game is now a play test for an original C&C module called:

In Search of the Silver Dragon

{Edit - 1st post of this thread as written below:

Thinking about running a game. Getting bored with Dowton Abbey.

Anyway, 1st level ~ In Search of the Unknown, Cairn of the Skeleton King, Yggsburgh Environs, Castle Zagyg Upper Works - something along those lines. Dungeon crawl a la C&C Collector's Box/B1/Holmes BD&D.}

SKYPE and Maptool.

7 PM central - 10 PM central - every Sunday night

Thanks. :)

[XP totals: 3,298 per player] as of 8/11/15.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Gauging interest in a Sunday night game opposite Nate

Post by Treebore »

I've thought about it off and on over the last few months, meaning running a game myself, but I like having so many Sundays free. So haven't done it. Plus I only rejoined Nate's game a week ago. I hadn't realized I had been out of that game for over a year.

Edit: I am going to try to keep it all in one place, so we won't have to flip back and forth and scroll up and down to read and search for info.

The northern peninsula of Scandia is a land of ice and snow during winter months and warm around the summertime solstice. There are plenty of forests, lakes, rivers as well as well as mountains to the north.

Inhabited by hardy people who enjoy all the bounty their land can provide. An abundance of game, fowl, fish and seafood sustain all, throughout the year and particularly during the harsh winter months.

Trappers, gnomes, hunters, woodsmen, elves, fishermen, traders and many others make their home here.

North of the Village of Tronheim, at the foot of Silver Mountain, there lies the renown Fountains Abbey. It is said, the Abbey has the largest library on Jord. It is also a place that tends to healing, solitude, study, counseling and most notably, prayer for the lesser, needy, sick, poor and otherwise unfortunate peoples that struggle to survive in the world.

Oh yes, and then there is the old myth and/or legend about a silver dragon who is said to make his home up in the mountains north of the Abbey.

Most humans and halflings don’t believe there is a dragon. Some do and have stated that their grandfather/mothers have seen it. The disbelievers just shake their heads and say that he is dead or gone away, never to return.

Gnomes are silent on the matter. Elves will tell you if asked, that it’s a certainty that Lord Argenteus, a Prince of the Silver Dragons lives. But, they will also say that he is away from his lair sometimes for many a year.

Scandia is loosely governed from Fountains Abbey by Sir Regis Mallory due to the Writ of Argenteus granting some lands, custodies and holdings in fee, to the Abbey, the hamlet of Tronheim, the city of Helsingborg as well as several thorps and farms.

The Abbot, Sir Regis, is a retired cleric who was knighted by Argenteus for his service to both dragon and country.

The port city of Helsingborg is where travelers disembark from crossing the sea channel from the mainland. It is a thriving medium sized city that has a large fishing industry. Salmon, cod, herring, lobster, crayfish and squid among others are harvested from the sea everyday.

Salmon is cured and sent north for trading with Tronheim. That hamlet returns roedeer and lake trout. Cod is salted and dried for export to the mainland for gold or trade for spices and other comestibles. Other items ~ like animal furs, wood and logs go from north to south to be traded for goods from the mainland and other parts of the world.

The hamlet of Tronheim in central Scandia is kept safe by the Sheriff, Mortimer along with his 2 deputies and 5 men in a small keep. There is a parsonage, several stores, stables, a blacksmith, furrier, butcher as well as several score homes. There is also a Halfling quarter on the west side of town in some small hills containing a score of hobbit holes. Gnomes, elves and dwarves make their home in the hamlet as well as a small population of humans.

To the west of Tronheim, in the White Forest there is large halfling community located in The Shire of Knobhill in the West End. There are about 300 or so sturdy folk comprising the very industrious shire. Most are farmers ~ growing cabbage, turnips, carrots, peas, wheat and barley. Others raise pigs, chickens and dairy cows. There is a mill, village hall, brewery, general store, tavern, chapel, stables and a large (for halflings) Inn, called The Silver Dragon.

Hickory creek runs through the shire and provides perch, crappie, trout and rock bass.

The halflings work hard from morning until noon, allowing for 1st and 2nd breakfast and then lunch. Another hour or two at work and then it’s teatime. Few return to work after this. Some go home to their halfling holes or burrows and tend to their flowers and herb gardens. Others stop in at The Blue Bottle Tavern for a pint of bock or ale. They will enjoy a pipeful of Longbottom leaf whilst discussing events of the day or other news from around Scandia.

In the evenings, many families will go to the Inn of the Silver Dragon for a nice dinner. The proprietors, Delbert and Amaryllis Bagwell run this excellent establishment and serve up tasty vittles for the shire folk as well as travelers coming through. The Inn is large enough to accommodate big folk like elves and humans. Rooms are available for rent and they have a stable out back to care for horses and carts.

The halflings trade goods and services with gnome and dwarf communities, as well as with the good elves at The Dancing Goats Inn. Trappers and hunters come here to sell and trade their wares, in addition to other traveling merchants who peddle jewelry, fabrics and other goods from the mainland.

The road north from Tronheim through the forests, valleys and between low level mountains up to Fountains Abbey is generally safe and well traveled. Sheriff’s men, clerics, trappers, seekers, woodsmen, merchants, pilgrims, minstrels and others might typically be seen. Bandits and humanoid monsters were very rare, but of late residents of these lands have been seeing more of them and so most travelers tend to stay in groups for protection as they journey.

The bridge over Ice Mountain River is generally watched by the sheriff’s men and rangers from nearby thorps. Forest elves from the Silvan Woods to the east like to keep a watchful view of the bridge as well. Billy goats can be seen grazing nearby. You notice that one of them is particularly large in size. ;)

More than half way to the Abbey, there is a well known roadhouse called The Dancing Goats Inn. It’s a goodly sized tavern dwelling with excellent food and rooms to rent for the night. There is a small general store, smithy and stables nearby.

Most travelers to and from the Abbey will stop in to rest, drink, eat and exchange information. In nice weather tables are available outside in the back of the Inn.

Many residents and farmers of the area also drop in for food and drink as well. Minstrels and acting troupes perform there during the summer months. Once a year, a traveling circus will spend a few days in the nearby fairground.

The proprietors are Ladnar and Lucilla Greenleaf. He the bartender and she the cook. Their children assist with the running of the inn ~ Hans moves barrels, assists in the kitchen, loads and tends the roasting spit and also will also help at the bar. Stephania and Violeta are serving wenches. They have 2 scullery maids, a pot boy and a cook’s assistant.

The main room is large dining area with a long bar and another shorter bar. There are private booths along the front windows. Many long tables, large and small round tables in addition to the seating at the bar. Two private dining rooms are available. There are three fireplaces that are burning from late fall to early spring. Several large owlbear rugs cover different parts of the dining room floor. A stuffed moose head is mounted over the bar. Hanging on the east wall is a large painting of a silver dragon.

The second floor has a common room for sleeping as well as many private rooms of different sizes on the east side. The other side has the living quarters for the family and staff.

On any given day, there may be hunters, gnomes, bards, woodsmen, merchants, travelers, trappers, sheriff’s men, rangers, halflings, acolytes, local families and many others ~ enjoying a good meal and drink.

From the Dancing Goats Inn, the road continues north through Snow Valley and up past where Baba Yaga’s Hut can occasionally be seen back from the road and recessed among large blue spruce trees.

Turning back northeast the road continues around through Jarl’s Rift. Legend says this is where Argenteus found the Jarl, Grunwald and several other frost giants invading his land. The dragon raked the giants, paralyzed them with his breath and then hurled them into a chasm. Snow, ice boulders and huge rocks cover the bottom providing a grave. A large stone statue stands on a dais showing Argenteus clutching the jarl in his huge claw serves as a warning to other frost giants.

It gets windy and cool here even in summer. North and then back west along Eagles’ Pass (very slow and quietly during winter – avalanches) and then back north, on to the Abbey.

On the road, one is likely to see clerics, dwarves, pilgrims, trappers and other travelers coming from the Abbey heading south. Along the cliffs and high hills in the distance ~ artic fox, moose, bear and goats can be seen. At night, you may hear wolves baying. Looking closely in bushes and along high ridges, lynx and hoar fox are roaming quite aware of you.

You will have been advised to stay on the main road as there are large and vicious saber toothed cats, ice elementals and yeti that inhabit the lands west and east of the Abbey.

My Character:

Aristobulous Falthor
Elf Mage
Gawds: Corellan, Boccob and Wee Jas.

Level 2
XP: 2,601 / 2,601

HP: 7/ 7

=== Stats ===

AC: 14
BtH: +0
Damage: 1d6
Move: 30 feet

STR: 08
DEX: 16 (+2) - Prime
CON: 09 (+0) -
INT: 17 +2-Prime
WIS:09
CHA: 9
16, 08, 17, 09, 09, 11
===Abilities / Spells ===

0th: (4)
-Dancing Lights
- Light
- Detect Magic
-Endure Elements

1st: (4)
- Charm Person
- Sleep
-Sleep
-Sleep

=== Racial ===

+2 to all Listen Checks
Twilight Vision
Move Silent (DEX)
+10 to saves versus Sleep and Charm effects

=== Equipment ===

Gold: 21

Magic: Amulet of Natural Armor +1, Ring of Protection +1

Sling w/20 stones
Staff

-Tent
-Tinderbox
- Flint and Steel
- Waterskin (1 gallon)
- Rations (14 days)
- Bedroll
- Blanket, Winter
-Small Tent
-Belt Pouch, Spell Components
-Canteen
-Rope, 50 feet
-Backpack
-15 sheets Vellum
-Flask, 10
-Flask of Oil, x4
=== Background ===

Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc

My Character:

Verthak
Half Orc Ranger
Gods: Eldath, Mielekki and Silvanus.
Level 1
XP: 0 / 2,251

HP: 8/ 8

=== Stats ===

AC: 15
BtH: +0
Damage: 1d6+5 (Godentag)
Move: 30 feet

STR: 17 (+2) Prime
DEX: 15 (+1) - Prime
CON: 13 (+1) -
INT: 10
WIS: 10 Prime
CHA: 9

===Abilities / Spells ===

Combat Marauder
Conceal (DEX)
Delay/Neutralize Poison (WIS)
Move Silently (DEX)
Scale (DEX)
Traps (WIS)
Survival (WIS)
Track (WIS)
Favored Enemy (at 6th Level)

=== Racial ===

Darkvision, see up to 60 feet in COMPLETE Darkness
Enhanced Sense of Smell, Smell the PRESENCE of anything within 30 feet, 60 feet if Upwind. (p. 56-57)
Martial Prowess, +1 to AC when not wearing any type of Armor, stacks with Rings, Cloaks, etc...
Resistant to Disease, +2 to any Disease save.
Ranger +2 to Track
Languages: Common, Goblin, Orc

===Weapons===
Godentag 1D6+3 base damage
Sling 1D4
Club 1D6

===Armor===

Cuir Bouille +4
Large Wood Shield +1 versus up to 3.

=== Equipment ===
Backpack 2g
Bedroll 1s
Belt pouch large 1g
Blanket, winter 5s
Canteen ½ gallon 2g
Flint and steel 1g
Hammer small 1g
Lantern hooded 7g
Oil 6 flasks 6g
Pitons / spikes 10 1g
Rope 50’ hemp 1g
Sack large 2 1s
Torch 5 5c
Whetstone/weapon kit 1g

Case scroll or map 1g
Chalk 3 pieces 3c
Chisel 1g
Cord 50’ 5g
Crowbar 2g
Dust bag of 3 -
File metal 1g
Sack small 1s
String 50’ 4s
Vial 4 4s

Water skin 1g
Cheese block 2 4s
Rations 2 weeks 6g
Tea 1month supply 1s
Pipe, and 2 weeks pipe weed 6g

Total 46 gp

===Wealth===
74 GP
00 SP
00 CP
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wow, I hadn't realized you were out of his game. I've been out for a year so as well. After working Sunday nights for 7 months, I was glad to stop the other job and relax on Sunday evenings and watch football.

But now I'm bored.

For anyone interested, I will be committed and available any evening, but Saturday. No more working Sunday nights . . evar!! :D

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'm also thinking of a 10th anniversary Rising Knight adventure. I can run as is or modified (perhaps an adjacent dungeon is now being populated some years after the BN was cleared out by some other heroes). :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Gauging interest in a C&C box/BD&D style game - any nigh

Post by Tadhg »

Still kicking this around. After all those BtB/3d6 att rolls threads, I'm still itchin to run a kick ass dungeon crawl.

Lemeno if any are interested.

:D

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Right now I'm keeping my Sunday night open because I don't know if a certain person is going to be running a game that night in the near future or not, I'm on the list of players and have committed to that game already. If this changes I'll let you know.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:Right now I'm keeping my Sunday night open because I don't know if a certain person is going to be running a game that night in the near future or not, I'm on the list of players and have committed to that game already. If this changes I'll let you know.
Thanks for the interest, K. I originally was thinking Sunday nights, but have changed the thread - any night except Saturday. So we'll see if there is any other interest and take it from there.

Rhu. :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I think I'll put my "almost btb" house rules here.

3/4 (75%) max HPs + CON attribute modifier.

When advancing levels and rolling for HPs, re-roll any 1 or 2.

3/4 max starting gold.

Roll 3 d6 for attributes.
Re-roll ones when totals are less than 6. If a 3, 1 & 1. Only re-roll one 1 (or 1 one)! :lol:
When all rolls are complete, if you do not have at least one 13 or above - take a 13 instead of your lowest roll. But for only one atr!

Arrange as desired.

Racial modifiers can be added, you don't have to subtract them! :-)

All races get 3 prime attributes.

Demi-human races have magic users and clerics.

Mages can wear non-metal armor (+3 max) and use a short sword, or short bow (pick one only).

Monks can wear padded or leather coat (+1 max).

Rogues can wear hide (+3).

No evil PCs.

Please feel free to pick 1 or more deities from Of Gods and Monsters, Greyhawk, Aihrde and/or another source.

Illusory magic:

Illusory monsters or spells cause damage to the mind/psyche – 1D6 (at least through the first 4 levels of spells). No physical damage occurs.

Cure spells can only cure above type damage, not gaping wounds that are bleeding out. The wounded fellow may think he is healed and feel great, but blood is pouring out and infection is imminent, so he needs a divine healer.

Major image – caster can only present images of creatures that he has seen in battle and the monster cannot be one of a higher HD than his (per Robert’s house rules). If you’ve seen a monster, but he didn’t move/fight etc., you can present that image and it will be unmoving – as you saw it.

Illusory rope/bridge/latter, etc.: Excellent illusions, but cannot be physical. So the party or other monsters cannot climb the rope or walk the bridge. However, used as decoys/bait, foes can be fooled and easily killed if they fail their checks and try to utilize said illusions.

No remove blindness/deafness unless caused by an illusory spell (not sure if there is one that can cause them).

Other:

I don’t allow insta-kill spells. If blasted by that type of spell, the PC goes to -1.

All magical protection items stack . . armor, cloaks, rings. etc. And they all stack with expert armor.

Work in progress. Updated 1/30/16 (for HP leveling re-rolls).

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I'd be interested. I'm new to C&C, have the box and a few books. Long time gamer who hasn't gamed in a long time. Have played a ton of D&D, as well as other RPG's. Now I'm old, and none of my friends game. C&C caught my eye, so I picked up the box set at a used book store, and, later, some of the books.

Best times for me are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Maybe Sunday evenings. I have a pretty busy life, so I'd be looking to keep things pretty casual. But if I make a commitment, I keep it.

I'm also laid back and easygoing, if that matters. Honest, too.

I regged here a few weeks ago, haven't posted though.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to have me along, we'll see what we can work out time-wise.

Also, Skype is cool, I have no idea what Maptool is.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Welcome, Gringnr!

Great post, I'm sure you'll feel comfortable here on this forum. Lots of old timers and more importantly, lots of younger people bringing new perspectives and freshness to the great game of D&D/AD&D and Castles and Crusades.

The boxed set is what got me interested in C&C. I started with Holmes BD&D.

Anyway, if we can get another person or two - then perhaps we can get a game going. I'm fine with only a couple of players. My last game had a lot and I'm tending to go the other way now.

Rhu. :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:I have no idea what Maptool is.
Oh yeah. Maptool is an online table top tool for gaming. Players log in and can see maps, use chat and roll dice. For the player it's very easy and we can help you get started. Using this software along with SKYPE is the closest thing to face to face gaming.

I've been doing it along with lots of peeps here for many years now. Very fun and rewarding!

:P

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Oh yeah. Maptool is an online table top tool for gaming. Players log in and can see maps, use chat and roll dice. For the player it's very easy and we can help you get started. Using this software along with SKYPE is the closest thing to face to face gaming.

I've been doing it along with lots of peeps here for many years now. Very fun and rewarding!

Sounds cool, I'll look at Maptool this evening.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

Sounds cool, I'll look at Maptool this evening.
If you haven't already downloaded and installed, we use this version 1.3.b91. But you can certainly use any version to test and play around.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Thank you for your help. I have downloaded maptool, but Java security is keeping me from running it? Trying to fiddle with it now....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Thank you for your help. I have downloaded maptool, but Java security is keeping me from running it? Trying to fiddle with it now....
Hmm, we've scene some minor problems with Java, IIRC in the past. Has your Java been updated lately?

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I believe it's the newest version of Java....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:I believe it's the newest version of Java....
Are you using the web launch?

If so, perhaps you might download the zip file and then install and run it.

Otherwise, what error messages are you getting?

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:

I've tried both. As far as the error messages, I'll have to take another look, either tonight or(most likely) tomorrow amd let y'all know.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

I've tried both. As far as the error messages, I'll have to take another look, either tonight or(most likely) tomorrow amd let y'all know.
OK, I'll try to help if I can! :)

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Haven't forgotten about this, just been very busy this holiday weekend. I will try to get to it soon.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Haven't forgotten about this, just been very busy this holiday weekend. I will try to get to it soon.
Thanks . . and no worries or hurries! :P

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Add more house rules. :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Low level dungeon playtest - any night!

Post by Tadhg »

Just finished a small low level dungeon for the module I'm writing (thread in the open discussion forum). Thinking about some play testing. Let me know if ye might be interested.

Thanks. :P

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

You still adding players?
Did you fix a night yet?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Relaxo wrote:You still adding players?
Did you fix a night yet?
Yes, you are welcome.

Haven't set a night, what is good for you?

:)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

House rules updated! :P

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Hey, still here. Can anyone walk me through installing MapTool? I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble. And I'm still very interested in getting into a game/group/community.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Hey, still here. Can anyone walk me through installing MapTool? I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble. And I'm still very interested in getting into a game/group/community.
Glad yer still interested. I can help.

I know you've downloaded Maptool and had an install issue, but I think I'll post all the steps (for anyone else who might be interested) and then you can tell me where you are having a problem.

To install Maptool:

Go to RPTools/download here:

http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/

Click on Maptool and select the top entry (should be 1.3.b91.zip.

After download, open the zip file and extract to any folder. I create a test folder with a subfolder called Maptool.

After extraction, go to subfolder and find the file called maptool-1.3.b91 and double click. It should then load.

I run Java 8 update 31. If you have any Java issues, check your version:

Start menu, look for all programs/java. In this folder, you should have a "about java" program. Double click and it should tell you what version you are running.

Gringnr, if you continue to have issues, no worries. We can troubleshoot them online in SKYPE.

:)

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I will try tomorrow, thanks for your help and patience.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:I will try tomorrow, thanks for your help and patience.
You're welcome!