Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Post by Tadhg »

Aarons that ;)

Go Pack!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

11 25 18 Beldiff returns!

2 guards leave the flying pigkeeper and they are leading adventurers forcibly in front of them. The guards say they stole, but one says no they did not try to rob a vault!

So Omad enters with the rest of the party, Omad intent on a secret tryst with Dharva under her boss’s nose. Dharva is working with Finnula. Dharva warns security is tight right now, and she has been yelled at all morning.

Triss greets Finnula. Who is just as friendly as before “Hi.” in a deadpan is her response.

We head to our vault with her. We teleport along, and there are two guards outside the vault who wait outside for us.

Zumbido goes outside and tells her it is the wrong vault. Says we have two vaults, this is not the one we need. Dharva suggests we might be able to find out by owner. So we go back to the skull room, she goes in and finds he only owns the one vault. So we talk of Vartha, and she can verify there is a Vartha (spirit who guards) there. But she is nervous and so we leave, with Omad making flowery speech before departing.

Back to the flying pigkeeper. We ask for the rumors. Those adventurers are being held in prison. So we decide to see if we can advocate for them. So we head to the temple of Tius. Triss immediately sets the snob who greets us straight, and demands wine from the Lord High magistrate. His name is Pious.

Pious knows Dharva and trusts her as a professional. He says he would love to have a good Paladin like Triss check the security. We also find Delessa is more in charge. Finally we are led to meet the prisoners. We head to the dungeons.

Triss introduces herself and offers food and amber firewater. They dig in well. She explains we are friends. They continue to plead innocence. Triss can not detect evil on them.

We find a woman who works at the bank tipped them off. We think the prisoners may be patsys. We ask to see the papers. Zumbido copies down the vault numbers, all are medium security, with an invoice of what they paid for. The pig Larry is fed. We get a paper to give to the vault telling them we are investigating.

Back at the flying pigkeeper. Dharva comes in and is looking very down. She had a bad day, she got another talking to, and is to stay home for the next week. Someone has replaced her from another office. We feel it is Beldiff.

Ayn, Vinegar Tom and Jaques scour the town to see if they find Beldiff or anything suspicious. Omad walks drunk Dharva home to be sure she is safe, Vinegar Tom follows discretely.

Morning comes. It is the 6th of the month Pyanepsion We get breakfast, Zumbido buys all the donuts with sprinkles so the mages can not buy them. She tells the clerk she is delivering them to the bank for the, then we head there. We find Finnula laughing outrageously. With Beldiff, who introduces herself as Scalopenni, and Zumbido lets them know they have their sprinkled pastries. We let them know we are here to inspect the vaults but Beldiff is twitchy. She invite us into her office, she is using Dharvas. She setup the adventurers and got Dharva out of the way. The wizards are sleeping their drinks off she gave them for a couple days. She has the coordinates from the skull! She can get us back there but then can do no more. Once we teleport in, we will have several vaults to negotiate, several guards we should not kill, and possibly trapped floors.

We need to get a box with a ring and a key, anything else found is ours. Omad wants to leave gold to make up for Dharvas lost wage but is criticized by Beldiff for leaving to many tentacles leading back to us.

End session.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Leaving for Indiana, not sure if I'll be back in time for the game.

Have a good one!

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

12 2 2018 Heroes and Scoundrels The Big Heist!

Scalopini comes out and says she will return to her branch and will reinstate Dharva. She immediately comes in and Zumbido explains she found the coordinates to the other safe in her rucksack, so Dharva(Beldith)gets us teleported.

Passing four guards in another room,, we come to a door guarded by two suits of armor holding swords. They block anything trying to pass them. Lisette tries to push through and they attack! Dharva (Beldith) tells the guards we will need help! She charms one and sends him for a deactivation wand.

Lisette dents one of the suits of armor. The guards teleport out to get the rod. Some of us just bounce attacks off the armor before both attack Lisette, but she deftly dodges the attacks for now. Beldith nervously pulls a dagger out and sort of stays in place. She warns us her powers are of illusion and she will not be much help right now. And tells us to call her Dharva, she is a method actor who stays in character. Zumbidos sling dents one some more, as Lisettes sword rips one open like a can opener, but it is still standing. Omad bounces a rapier off one and they scuffle back and forth before Ayn tries in vain to slide on the floor under them. The Lisette rends the one in front of her and the light goes from its eyes, and it falls in pieces.

Ayn runs behind the final standing armor, gives it a healthy smack with her club then crouches behind it as Omad gives it a mighty shove and it topples to the ground behind her. Before anyone can react he stands back up. Lisette puts a nice gash in it, but Omad jostles Ayns arm when she comes in with a club, but redeems himself by ripping it open pretty well with his magic rapier. It has only managed to scratch Lisette. Ayns sinks and arrow into its eye slit, and Omad finishes it off, as the guards reappear saying they could not find the rod. So we take off running, and Dharva tells us since it is not dark yet, they will not have activated the traps, so off we go.

Suddenly, we encounter a barricade in the wall! It is dark, there is a table with a candle, 2 guards and another person , who says “Slow down there people, slow down!” He is amazed to see us, and introduces himself as the keeper of the vault, and it is up to him to make sure we belong. All we have to do is defeat him. There are many options, a challenge to a battle of wits, or beat him at his game of choice. His game is crazy eights, the game of champions!

Zumbido goes for a game of wits. So he motions the guards to stand back. Then he says 20 questions, each guessing the monster we think of. Beldith writes down what it is, and hands it to one of the guards. He does the same

So our first question, is it humanoid? Yes.
2 Is it undead? No
Does it have more than 2 legs? No
4 Does it have fur? No
5 Is it goblinoid? No
6 Is it large sized? No
7 Does it have scales? No
8 Is it small sized? Yes
9 Is it magical? No
10 Is it sometime and adventurer? Yes
11 Do they often wear beards? No
12 Does it have hairy feet? Some do, yes.
13 Is it a halfling? Yes

Now his turn. He is VERY sure of himself

1 IS it some sort of ooze? No
2 Is it undead? No
3 Does it stand on 2 legs? No
4 Do they tend to be evil? No
5 Is it an animal? Yes?
6 Is it feline? No
7 Is it canine? No
8 Is it porcine? No
9 Is it vulpine? No
10 Is it a walrus? No
11 Is it avian? No
12 Is it a bat? No
13 Is it bovine? No

He thinks we have cheated, so inspects the paper, and reads, in the shadows, looking over his shoulder. He says the paper may have been tampered with.

Suddenly, there is an explosion as he and the guards are engulfed! Oh no! Beldith used explosive ruins! They all go up in a burst of flames.

It was a dark mantle, it was a magical beast, so when we answered animal, we misled him, but not on purpose.

Except for Zumbido, she knew better.

Down the hallway floats an apparition of a woman, her burial gown seems to blow in a ghostly breeze we can not feel. Jaques says it is a Vartha, and would be terrible to defeat. She appears to be a freshly embalmed corpse, wearing partial plate armor and a morning star. Zumbido greets her and asks if we may pass, she says it is her curse that she can not allow us to pass. A wizard took the recently deceased and set her to guard this treasure. We could set her free by raising her from the dead, removing the curse, or knowing the password.

She is very friendly and helpful, telling us of how others have fared, how she doesn’t wish to protect the treasure, but has to. She was a worshiper of Ossa. She begs us to reconsider.

We confer and decide perhaps we can be invisible

End session

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Tonight we wrap up I think.
Update... the Vartha is turned... maybe this won't be so hard.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

12 9 2018 The Big heist continues

Ayn has been casing the target but learns very little. We confer with Beldth about her spells available, and lists them off.

Jaques gives Ayn a drop of oil of invisibility, and the potion to neutralize poison for the acid pool.

Jaques walks up and the Vartha says “So it begins, go ahead.” and he turns her!

“Well done” she says, turning and fleeing, “This is terrifying!”

We approach the pool in a sphere of invisibility. 10 to 15 foot long tentacles flail slowly around the room as it feels our presence and searches. Ayn sneaks up quietly and pours a potion into the pool of acid to neutralize it, changing it to water, and the anemone begins to thrash at the change in PH! Zumbido casts her ivey wreath into the pool and casts entangle. She suddenly becomes visible.

Ayn focuses on the anemone, but it seems to be thrashing and flailing more in agony than in attack. Zumbido casts knock on the chest down in the pool, where it is attached to chains that can be used to pull it from the bottom of the pool. The chest opens and water floods into it. Beldith approaches to see in and casts telekinesis, but she sees there is nothing in the chest! So she casts see invisibility, and she relays that there is a lever at the edge of the pool! But nothing in the damn chest! The anemone is oozing bile from its mouth as it continues to thrash. When we pull the lever the pool begins to drain and the anemone is obviously dying, as the Vartha is screaming “Where is the treasure! Where is the treasure? I must pursue the person who took the treasure! Release the turn, I will not harm you, I must find the treasure!”

Zumbido uses her ice blade to detect magic in the vicinity of the pool. She can find nothing. So Jaques drops the turn, and we decide to follow the Vartha. She comes to the pool and casts a spell. It does not seem violent but she asks what do we see in the pool? We tell her of our inability to find anything. She says she is going to follow us, “we HAVE to recover the treasure, we must find the key, we must take the skull from the skeleton we have found in the pool, and find a seer to ask it”. She swears there was a key in the box, and she screams, “I have failed, I have failed!” Then she bursts into flame and begins to disintegrate.

Zumbido uses her sword to look for secret doors next but again, nothing. So Triss moves the lever again and acid begins to fill the pool. We run to the teleporter and say Lobby. That is where we end up, but Beldith no longer looks like Dharva. Ayn says “Quickly, here, take this,” and hands her oil of invisibility to Zumbido who takes it, then casts open/close on the outer door. “Open sesame, whoooooo oooooooo oooooooooo” Finulla looks up, shrugs her shoulders, and says “whatevs.” So we exit the building.

Omad decides to stay on the island, and pursue his relationship with Dharva. They settle down in a little house. Theirs is not an easy relationship, but they make it work.

Steubing returns for the rest of us. He distributes money to us from his privateer license for the other ship we captured. 1500 is our share. Fizzbang pays us double since we did our job, and pays off 6000, and takes the skull for interrogation. Xylth is in chaos ready for war with their neighbor. Security is high. The second wizard tower is still fallen.

The key was to be used to open a pyramid, and is crucial he can open it.

25000XP and 17500 GP

Jaques can now follow his life goal and learn cure disease to cure himself. He starts a small shrine/clinic around the corner from Zumbido.

Zumbido allows Ayn to stay with her while she studies how to return to reclaim Comet. Ayn really misses her turtle.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:Tonight we wrap up I think.
Wait, . . what?

Your game was last week, why a game last night? Did I miss something?

:?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Yeah, we've been going every week, and the game is wrapped up... we're starting a new game next week.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

K.

What's the new game?

And, btw ~ what happened with Penny's game?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Details are on Discord. It's Swords and Wizardry, around 5th level to start, in the Lost Lands.
As for Penny's game, I'm not sure when she'll have another installment ready.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:
Wait, . . what?

Oh golly. So sorry we didn't make an effort to make sure you knew we were playing. =/

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Wait, . . what?

Oh golly. So sorry we didn't make an effort to make sure you knew we were playing. =/
Seconded! i thought you knew we were playing and decided to watch the bears, they had a big weekend, almost as big as my phish!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Wait, . . what?

Seconded! i thought you knew we were playing and decided to watch the bears, they had a big weekend, almost as big as my phish!
Indeed! :P

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Wait, . . what?

Oh by gosh, by golly . .

Thx, Penny!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:Details are on Discord. It's Swords and Wizardry, around 5th level to start, in the Lost Lands.
As for Penny's game, I'm not sure when she'll have another installment ready.
Sorry, count me out.

See my comments in discord.

:x

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I see where you are coming from and support your decision.

I'm just glad we can all continue to play together on Mondays. See you then!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:I see where you are coming from and support your decision.

I'm just glad we can all continue to play together on Mondays. See you then!
Yes, looking forward to the next game!

:)