Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Do you allow non typical char/class combos? Such as halfling or gnome wizards?
I think halflings and gnomes make excellent wizards.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Do you allow non typical race/class combos? Such as halfling or gnome wizards?
I think halflings and gnomes make excellent wizards.
Cool, thanks!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Delbert Marshwiggle

Gnome wizard.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Woot, yeah.

I rolled an 18 attribute ~ using the C&C purple dice!!!

For HPs 1st lvl, I used the C&C black regular d4 and rolled a 3!!!

For HPs 2nd lvl, I used the C&C purple tube style d4 - I know, I was thinking this die is not going to roll. But it did and . . . a 4!!!

OK, so now what to do with the 18?

Not going to take it for INT (the bonus spell doesn't happen until much leveling and I did roll a 14 - so I'll take an extra 1st lvl spell).

So it's either CON for the xtra HPs or DEX for the AC bonus and ranged weapon bonus.

I will take the "shield" spell so that comes into play when deciding.

I love this part of the game - figuring out how to best use one's attributes!!!!

:P

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The adventure also strongly requires/recommends 1 cleric, and recommends a fighter and a rogue.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:The adventure also strongly requires/recommends 1 cleric, and recommends a fighter and a rogue.
Indeed.

I haven't looked at this module (and won't) in over 10 years or just after it was written. I wonder if Mike had the C&C White Box in mind when he put this module together?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The core four are always a solid base for a party in any adventure I think.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

See the Castles and Crusades Ruleset for hints: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/inde ... ser_Guides

Also, when setting up your sheets, if you are a magic type, familiarize yourself with the Spells tab and how it has a Standard, Prep, and Combat mode.
Also, remember you can just grab spells and equipment from the PHB in FG and drag to your sheet. Then when you click on them they will have info and stats. It knows the difference between a weapon and armor and random gear and whether you are carrying, wielding, have it in a backpack, etc.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:The core four are always a solid base for a party in any adventure I think.
Yep, harkening back to the beginnings of the game.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

OK, so how to connect to your server?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:OK, so how to connect to your server?
Nevermind, I think I've got it!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I like what I'm seeing so far in Fantasy Grounds!
Attachments
Delbert.jpg
Delbert.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 14325 times

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Wow! Great image.

Can I make a suggestion I think will make our party as strong as possible? Feel free to disregard if you have some character concept in mind.
As the fighter I promise to try to keep you out of harm's way. Our cleric is practically a superhero who will easily heal anyone who does get hurt. What we really need from you is hard hitting damage from spells. Would you consider moving your top stat into INT?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny, for sure . . in that if this was a long term game, one should probably put the 18 on INT.

But here's my thinking . . char concept as you mentioned ~ I'm going for a more aggressive combat oriented chaotic neutral crazy SOB gnome nutbag.

So . . putting the 18 into DEX helps my AC and gives me ranged attack bonuses. And yes, I can throw my clubs at +4 to hit with 1d6+1 damage. I have loads of daggers and darts I can throw as well with that +4 to hit.

But, before I engage in combat, I most certainly will use my 7 0 lvl spells and 2 of my 1st lvl spells (sleep, magic missile).

Now how about this . . if I feel totally insane, I cast shield on myself which kicks up my AC and I can add my +3 from DEX to that ~ so, in melee my AC is 19, and against ranged attacks, it's 20 or 21 depending on the weapon used against me.

I need to ask Aergraith, if I use burning hands and the enemies ignite, do they suffer 1d6 fire damage each round after the initial damage?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Penny, for sure . . in that if this was a long term game, one should probably put the 18 on INT.
Haven't looked at your stats, but a 16-17 would give you an extra 2nd, and 18 would give you an extra 3nd level spell, and you aren't high enough level to cast either and won't likely level in this module. Though who knows, maybe this party goes elsewhere.

A 13 to 15 is all you need for an extra 1st level spell, so if you have that you are golden.
But here's my thinking . . char concept as you mentioned ~ I'm going for a more aggressive combat oriented chaotic neutral crazy SOB gnome nutbag.

So . . putting the 18 into DEX helps my AC and gives me ranged attack bonuses. And yes, I can throw my clubs at +4 to hit with 1d6+1 damage. I have loads of daggers and darts I can throw as well with that +4 to hit.

But, before I engage in combat, I most certainly will use my 7 0 lvl spells and 2 of my 1st lvl spells (sleep, magic missile).
7? Your spellbook would have 4, and you could cast 4 per day. You're messing with me...
(Oh, maybe you're a Gnome and have those racial cantrips?)
Now how about this . . if I feel totally insane, I cast shield on myself which kicks up my AC and I can add my +3 from DEX to that ~ so, in melee my AC is 19, and against ranged attacks, it's 20 or 21 depending on the weapon used against me.
Hey, staying alive has a lot going for it! Not to mention you might land your ranged touch attacks with a high dex. Though you don't get, say, Acid Arrow until you can cast 2nd level spells.

I need to ask Aergraith, if I use burning hands and the enemies ignite, do they suffer 1d6 fire damage each round after the initial damage?

If they ignite. If you cover them in pitch (3gp/1 lb jar) or oil or they are wearing plain cloth or papier mache armor. Otherwise the normal damage against hardy monsters and people is what is listed in the spell. Even vulnerable-to-fire creatures usually only specify double-damage per attack. I'd have to consider people wearing cloth without leather or other armor over it. They could end up naked with modest burns.

Be careful what you wish for -- the flip side is I start checking for potion and scroll damage when you get fireballed.

The real challenge with Burning Hands is keeping your friends out of the way. Depends on your alignment, I guess.

By the way, do you know of a rule in PHB or CKG that specifies ongoing fire damage? I know WoTC has such a rule, but can't find it in C&C. Things like Pitch (CKG) and Oil (CK screen) specify, but they have a number of rounds they burn because they are highly flammable fuel.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:Penny, for sure . . in that if this was a long term game, one should probably put the 18 on INT.

How you want to do it sounds grand!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote: By the way, do you know of a rule in PHB or CKG that specifies ongoing fire damage? I know WoTC has such a rule, but can't find it in C&C. Things like Pitch (CKG) and Oil (CK screen) specify, but they have a number of rounds they burn because they are highly flammable fuel.
I think some of the fire causing spells mention the 1d6 damage and how long the burning lasts, I'll have to take a look.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Here it is . . PH spells, fireball, fire storm and flame strike mention the 1d6, but the duration is only instant. Still looking around as I seem to recall something about catching fire and unless one tries to put it out, they continue to burn (although this may have been someone's houserule).

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The hellhound does 1d6 damage from it's fiery bite (in addition to the regular biting damage)!

Still nothing about any added duration or what happens if cloth ignites.

Mebbe, the trick is somehow using or throwing oil before fire spells.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Could possibly adapt from 3.5e:
Catching On Fire
Characters exposed to burning oil, bonfires, and noninstantaneous magic fires might find their clothes, hair, or equipment on fire. Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash.

Characters at risk of catching fire are allowed a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid this fate. If a character’s clothes or hair catch fire, he takes 1d6 points of damage immediately. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out. (That is, once he succeeds on his saving throw, he’s no longer on fire.)

A character on fire may automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself. If no body of water is at hand, rolling on the ground or smothering the fire with cloaks or the like permits the character another save with a +4 bonus.

Those unlucky enough to have their clothes or equipment catch fire must make DC 15 Reflex saves for each item. Flammable items that fail take the same amount of damage as the character.
DC 15 would be CL0

AD&D has:
Crossing Flaming Oil: Leaping over a puddle of flaming oil will cause no damage, unless the creature so doing is highly inflammable. Creatures with garments of cloth must save versus FIRE, NORMAL on the ITEM SAV- ING THROW MATRIX or have their garments catch fire. Walking through or standing in flaming oil will cause the creature to take 1-6 hit points of damage per melee round.
So a save seems fair anyway, if you are likely to burst into flame.

This kind of makes a torch a good weapon at first level, especially if it's otherwise 1d6+1 like a club.

If I say fire doesn't make you burn, I know you guys will just stand in bonfires and fireplaces and hum happy songs just to rile me.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, very interesting. Food for thought.

But I'm thinking that Delbert, the goofy club throwing wizard might wrap his clubs in oil cloth and then ignite them before tossing them during combat!!

Yes, I like it ~ 1d6+1 and 1d6 fire damage. :P

[Oh, and all you other PCs - clubs are free and all over the place, so stock up and follow my lead!]

And then, let's talk about Molotov cocktails . . .

:)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Hmm, very interesting. Food for thought.

But I'm thinking that Delbert, the goofy club throwing wizard might wrap his clubs in oil cloth and then ignite them before tossing them during combat!!

Yes, I like it ~ 1d6+1 and 1d6 fire damage. :P
And an EV of only 2!
Though I have to say, many of your enemies would delight in targeting a cloth-clad wizard with a bag of oily clubs as large as him with any kind of flame spell at all.

I should house-rule that nothing with an equipment list cost of "--" can be made "Expert".

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

:lol:

I love it when I think I'm being clever with my character and it just gives the CK lots of great ideas for my enemies.

But my char doesn't have any enemies and what could happen in a small hobbit town?

Btw, check my stats - Delbert had giantism when he was young and is now 7'6" and weights like 300 lbs. He'll be able to throw 3 clubs at a time with ease! ;)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Btw, check my stats - Delbert had giantism when he was young and is now 7'6" and weights like 300 lbs. He'll be able to throw 3 clubs at a time with ease! ;)
I'd better!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Games in 1984:
"Cool! I'm playing an Elf! I live in a treehouse and shoot a bow and can cast magic missile! Could things get any cooler?"

Games in 2018:
"I am a wizard/rogue/anti-paladin Elf/Orc with a limp, an eyepatch, a speech defect, a mortgage, and I have 3 arms and beetle mandibles. I always appear to be on fire and only eat foods that start with the letter Q. In Quenya. Which I don't speak, because I hate elves. I am the long lost son of the god emperor of your setting and my money is no good here. And I can fly. My skills include but are not limited to those of the classes I took -- I can do a little bit of all the other classes too. My eyes are orange and when I sneeze butterflies come out of my butt. I know there are no firearms in this setting but I have a bazooka and an Abrams tank. Besides the PHB I can cast spells from every other book you have plus all of the powers from Villains and Vigilantes. Just shaking things up a little... 13 classes and 7 races is pretty limiting."

:D

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

We may need to discuss how you are carrying 18 lbs of darts and dragging 5 walruses along with you.
This is like when bands put "no brown m&ms" in their contract rider, isn't it... you just want to make sure I read your sheet.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:We may need to discuss how you are carrying 18 lbs of darts and dragging 5 walruses along with you.
This is like when bands put "no brown m&ms" in their contract rider, isn't it... you just want to make sure I read your sheet.
What?

Who's dragging walruses around? Not me, I ride them and they have saddle bags holding all my stuff.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hehe, here's a word that describes my gaming and character creation ~ jocularity!

There may be a few things that I might like to do with my character - but of course, you are the final arbiter and referee with regard to anything I propose in your game/campaign.

And so, I'll clean up my character sheet (and yes, you should read our char sheets - cause you know how those old time CKs roll - "if it's not on your char sheet then you don't have it")!

Dude (does anyone use this term anymore?) I is totally looking forward to the game!!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:Games in 1984:
"Cool! I'm playing an Elf! I live in a treehouse and shoot a bow and can cast magic missile! Could things get any cooler?"

Games in 2018:
"I am a wizard/rogue/anti-paladin Elf/Orc with a limp, an eyepatch, a speech defect, a mortgage, and I have 3 arms and beetle mandibles. I always appear to be on fire and only eat foods that start with the letter Q. In Quenya. Which I don't speak, because I hate elves. I am the long lost son of the god emperor of your setting and my money is no good here. And I can fly. My skills include but are not limited to those of the classes I took -- I can do a little bit of all the other classes too. My eyes are orange and when I sneeze butterflies come out of my butt. I know there are no firearms in this setting but I have a bazooka and an Abrams tank. Besides the PHB I can cast spells from every other book you have plus all of the powers from Villains and Vigilantes. Just shaking things up a little... 13 classes and 7 races is pretty limiting."

:D
Yeah, I LIKE it!

It might be interesting for a one off night of gaming. Gonzo characters ~ but of course, the CK would be free to have gonzo monsters! Heh, perhaps this would be too crazy. My char would totally have 3 arms and beetle mandibles.

Orange eyes = Dune spice, right?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

A reminder that Daylight Saving time is in effect.