Victorious will be next...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Victorious will be next...

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
DMMike wrote:Ok, so what about an opposed Telepathy vs. Telepathy to find the villain(ess)?

Mike the Curious
That can be done. Just like the given examples, the higher level one will give the other a higher penalty. Faith is only Rank 1. So Faith can try to find her, but she will have to get lucky, or burn 3 VP's. I imagine G would be willing to burn 3 VP's for a definite success.
Boy, we ARE burning through VPs !

& I have to save at least 2 to get rid of the insanity I have built up ...

I hope Faith like digging around in my brain and seeing growing up in England, drinking tea and crumpets, having good tutors in the various studies and going to (nearly) the best schools, and then spy games in the Mid East.

Hay, can she get access to etiquette (polite) from my & the general's memories , and etiquette (crass) from my memories, especially as she has had to dig around in there 3 times now on me ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Feedback time. So what did you all think of the "negotiated" victory? Did you like it? Would you have preferred the more classic fight to the death final battle? Did her desire to have her horrible scarring fixed make sense to all of you as her motivator to make peace?

I did it because I thought it made sense, after she absorbed Alexandra's memories and knowledge. I was escalating to a final nasty battle, but when she got hold of Alexandra's full memories, this alternative idea that resulted is what I decided to give a try.

So basically, I want to know if you enjoyed this final twist to the outcome, or if you would have preferred I stuck with the traditional blood and guts mutual destruction kind of finale?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Based on her motivations and personality, I thought it was a reasonable conclusion.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

It may sound odd knowing my background and personality ... but I at times prefer a negotiated victory. Heck I have given my girls extra exp for good role playing and good rolls that result in a negotiated victory or alliance instead of a fight. Down the road, they will have a chance to negotiate a 'victory' against a local group of thieves and highway men instead of fighting them and clearing them out of the area (they will 'take taxes' to protect the roadway and oppose the foreign bigger bader bad guys invading and doing truly harmful raids.

With last night, it makes since and does fit her personality as you presented it. Powerful, self interested, vain to a point, and not desiring to be directly involved in the thick of it ... oh yeah intelligent and not a sold out believer in 'the cause' .

So, it fits for her to want to trade a probable benefit of her repairing her looks (and salving her vanity) for a treaty with us. Plus she has the memories of 3 of us, and know all 3 are honorable and not likely to break the treaty on our part (unless she first breaks it). Plus, direct combat is always an iffy thing and we could have pulled out a victory (which would result in Roger killing her to protect the Queen's and the Home Office's information) with luck. Also, she doesn't believe in the reason behind the death of the General so has no reason to sacrifice to accomplish it. So, a probable benefit vs a possible loss death for no true reason she believes in is an easy decision for her.

Now, we have to decide if we want to pursue in depth the one who hired her to kill the General? Or, do we pass it on to another 'less super' element to follow up on ?

It will be another night of us doing spy and cloak and dagger stuff, which limits what some are able to do in the session.

If we want to follow through with it, I would say Roger and Jean C should go to the General (maybe with Faith too), with the secretary and the chief of security there to hear, and let him know we raided the Turkish consulate. There we found a bit of info that points to the Turks only being middle men, that they were hired by a 3rd party to support the true assassins, and the one that is paying them and directing everything is ... well we don't know for sure yet, but the info referred to a poker queen or something (our Turkish isn't good enough to figure it out att). We can have Damon & Galahad follow anyone of them that head out towards Sonja. Also, I can shadow walk and search the secretary's office and the chief of security's stuff if needed, or faith could try and read (surface thoughts only) of them as we give him the General the news.

If it is neither of them, then the senator (I believe he was from Chicago, but I'm not sure on that) could be the one who ordered the assassination. If so again a good intel gathering operation would work (Faith's mind reading if she is careful to not go TOO deep again).

Or we could say we do that, find out who it is, and Tree hand waive the events, and then fast forward us to when ever the new scenario starts.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Treebore wrote:Feedback time. So what did you all think of the "negotiated" victory? Did you like it? Would you have preferred the more classic fight to the death final battle? Did her desire to have her horrible scarring fixed make sense to all of you as her motivator to make peace?

I did it because I thought it made sense, after she absorbed Alexandra's memories and knowledge. I was escalating to a final nasty battle, but when she got hold of Alexandra's full memories, this alternative idea that resulted is what I decided to give a try.

So basically, I want to know if you enjoyed this final twist to the outcome, or if you would have preferred I stuck with the traditional blood and guts mutual destruction kind of finale?
My perception was a much more cosmic battle with us in the middle, powerful forces beyond our control. Felix came from a different dimension to fight this woman but once everyone sat down and had tea the situation was defused. I suppose in some ways this is an ideal Victorian outcome. I thought the party accepted her promises rather quickly. I suppose in some ways it was our surrender: she was in 3 minds and I think outside of your meta comment that she couldn't do more, I am not sure we knew that. And 3 minds is enough.

I don't see a problem with NPCs acting logically. I think your explanation for her behavior makes sense on some level. Felix going from "Let me help you destroy this woman" to "Maybe I was mistaken. Ah well, bygones!" makes me wonder if he is insane though. Cats tend to be insane.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:
Treebore wrote:Feedback time. So what did you all think of the "negotiated" victory? Did you like it? Would you have preferred the more classic fight to the death final battle? Did her desire to have her horrible scarring fixed make sense to all of you as her motivator to make peace?

My perception was a much more cosmic battle with us in the middle, powerful forces beyond our control. Felix came from a different dimension to fight this woman but once everyone sat down and had tea the situation was defused. I suppose in some ways this is an ideal Victorian outcome. I thought the party accepted her promises rather quickly. I suppose in some ways it was our surrender: she was in 3 minds and I think outside of your meta comment that she couldn't do more, I am not sure we knew that. And 3 minds is enough.

I don't see a problem with NPCs acting logically. I think your explanation for her behavior makes sense on some level. Felix going from "Let me help you destroy this woman" to "Maybe I was mistaken. Ah well, bygones!" makes me wonder if he is insane though. Cats tend to be insane.
Felix is definitely insane, he is very highly intelligent. Being orchestrated by a far less intelligent CK.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am putting this here because I see this being usable in any of the SIEGE games that use magic, or even psionics. This is created by Gaming Ronin. I am open to giving it a try in any game I run.

I've been toying with the idea of freeform magic for Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE system. Using both Ubiquity and D6 system as inspiration I created some basic guidelines. I'll refine them as I go.

To cast a magical effect the player describes the effect they wish to cast. The player calculates any bonuses or penalties based on Range, area effect, familiarity, and time.
The GM looks over the spell effects and decided the appropriate base cost. Take the base difficulty and add bonuses and penalties plus ten. This final number is the cast difficulty.

Casting difficulty:
TN of spell effects is 10+ spell effect, then add bonuses or penalties for Range, Area of effect, familiarity, and time. Casting rolls are made on Intelligence with focuses being the four spell type catagories.

Range:
Touch -1
Close 0 (within 10 yards)
Medium +1 (within 50 yards)
Long +2 (within 100 yards)
Extreme +3 (within 200 yards)

Area of Effect:
Single target 0
Circle, small 6yard, +1
Circle, large 10yard, +2
Cone or beam +1

Familiarity:
Held, touched, true name -1
Seen up close, conversed 0
Seen from a distance, +1
Can't see but know it's presence, +2

Time:
End of turn/Instant. 0
End of round. +1
End of end of scene/combat. +2
End in an hour. +3

Spell effects:

Control (push/pull)
1 really small object, under 1 pound
2 Small object, up to 10 pounds
3 medium object, up to 40 pounds
4 large object, up to 200 pounds

Alter/Enchant
1 change appearance, superficial.
2 limited physical change, property. +1
3 strong but uncomplicated, nature. +2
4 Significant and invasive, +3
5 powerful and complicated. +4

Create/Conjure
1 simple raw material
2 small simple items
3 summon mindless,tool, weapon,
4 summon larger, complex, attack animal,
5 summon intelligent attack, large.

Damage/Heal
Chosen 1-6 for difficulty.
Damaging or Healing effect equals 1d6 plus a bonus equal to the difficulty.
Apply an element or source for damage add +2 difficulty. Damage is penetrating x 2 difficulty.

My original idea was for a system without magic points. But if using magic point cost to cast would be equal to final spell effect. Final cost equal to spell difficulty -10.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, all signs say tonights game is a go.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sounds good to me

Soooooo, are we going after the one that ordered the general's assassination, is it being hand waived that we caught him and turned him over, or are we letting the Queen of Spades mind wipe him ????

If either of the last 2 then we start on the next target ???

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

and my Skype connection *should* work this time!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My computer just restarted on it's own.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm having trouble with Skype too. I had to delete it and am reloading it now....

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sooooo I take it I'm not the only one with Skype / computer issues

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Curious, the last 2 sessions my computer was preventing me from gaming...Now it seems it was half the group other than me having computer issues.

My apologies if it was contagious! ;)

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

& I still am having trouble getting onto Skype ... Is it just me or are there others having trouble too ???

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:& I still am having trouble getting onto Skype ... Is it just me or are there others having trouble too ???
Kind of just you. I couldn't get onto my wi fi due to not knowing the PW. So couldn't get a working mic to run the game with. So you didn't miss a session.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

So, are we looking for the next game on Feb 19th?

Mike, wanting to smack some villains around!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:So, are we looking for the next game on Feb 19th?

Mike, wanting to smack some villains around!
Yes, and I will be back in St Louis, so should have no issues on my end.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Welllll, good ole NE Oklahoma is getting hit by T-Storms and high winds sooooo my internet is spotty . If I can't log on to the game it is because of that.

That said, we still haven't decided if we are spending game time to try and track down the guy that hired 'The Queen of Spades' to kill the general; if Tree is hand waiving it and saying our plan of dropping information (half true information) to the general in front of his secretory and his head of security and following the one that reacts to it worked and we catch arrest and turn the guilty party to the general (so we can move on to the next adventure); or just let the issue fizzle out and move on to the next adventure without finishing with the general.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, game tonight. Anyone not making it?

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Sorry, I'm not going to make it tonight. Not feeling so hot.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Anyone not makintg it tonight?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I should be there.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looks like I will be going to the ER for a very deep purple oozing hole I have near an open wound. An open wound I have had for decades. First time this has happened. My daughter will keep you all updated via Skype. Unless I come home much sooner than later. Then I will simply be here.

Edit: The color is deep, not the hole. The hole might be a 1/4 inch deep and about as big around as an erasure head. I keep this wound covered a week at a time, so I suspect its just a pimple gone really bad.

Edit: Staying home and doing walk in clinic tomorrow morning.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, hope you feel better and the docs can square you (and your deep-purple, not deep holed, oozing hole) away.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm going to cancel. Now I am feeling crappy and have a low fever. So I may be going to the ER after all. Hope this isn't blood poisoning.

Cross posted to SKYPE chat so Kurt gets it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Back from the hospital. Prognosis is good, follow up next Wednesday to ensure everything is healing well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Back from the hospital. Prognosis is good, follow up next Wednesday to ensure everything is healing well.
Good to hear.

But again, be careful or the VA Docs will end up taking a foot off and it may or may not be the one with the issue ;)

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:Back from the hospital. Prognosis is good, follow up next Wednesday to ensure everything is healing well.
Great! Travel safe and enjoy Garycon!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:
Great! Travel safe and enjoy Garycon!
I will. A lot of friends are going to be there, and a few of us, so far, are getting together Saturday night to play some Traveller.