Rhu's Sunday ~ Scandia, The Last Druid/Gaxmoor

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rhu's Sunday ~ Scandia, The Last Druid/Gaxmoor

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:*snip*

That was my first experience with a flesh crawler.
Well . . not exactly!

Uhh, my bad. I presented one a couple years ago in our game and I . . . uhh, forgot to use the claw attacks!! :oops:

You guys killed the bastard so quickly before I realized my mistake!! :lol:

[Fake excuse - something happened during combat that distracted me and failed to follow through on the FC's combat attacks!]

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The fleshcrawler's XP does indeed seem low.

But you guys may recall that I give extra XP for a good battle - particularly when the PCs roll bad and the monster rolls high, but you still defeat it ~ as in this combat.

Also, roleplaying XPs are mostly given each session as well as battle roleplaying XP.

SO, the party stands to gain mucho XP from this encounter with Hugo, the fleshcrawler who was only looking for lunch.

Saxbert would have been lunch and diner!! ;)

R.I.P. Hugo (big jazz fan). :(

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:From what I read earlier in the thread about Monks, am I correct in understanding that brass knuckles ADD damage to the attack with the fist?
Yes.

Spiked gauntlet and brass knuckles add damage to the attack!!

:P

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:I really liked our encounter and I always appreciate a TPK because they get me thinking. How will I approach this monster the next time I see one? If I am including it into one of my own games, what can I do with terrain to make it harder for the monster? That kind of thing.
Yep, I think like this sometimes!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:Ayn Boone

Gnome

Chaotic Good

Monk half assassin

Cousin to Franklin Fort.

She does whatever it takes to do the right thing for those she wants to do right by, The rest can go to hell.

From the Temple of Lorn, of the Rational Stars, Servants of Garl Glittergold.

Str 13
Dex 16
Con 17
Int 18
Wis 15
Cha 12
Cool. Love assassins in C&C. I play them as monster hunter/sharpshooter/sniper types.

Here are my house-rules for gnomes:

Innate ability spells (available to all gnomes):

dancing lights
ghost sound
prestidigitation

add:

know direction
mage hand
mending
open/close

Gnome casters at first level know six 0-lvl and 3 1st-lvl spells.

At third level casters know all 0-lvl spells.

They also now have the ability to blast enemies.

Arcane = 1d4+1 twice a day at 1st lvl (minor)
Divine = same

Spell resistance – same as elves.

Resistance to arcane magic – same as dwarves but @ +4.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Very cool. I am toying with ideas in my head. I like the idea of CG for alignment. I don't think this girl is gonna care two wits about the law. I have been tempted, 18 INT aside, to say that although she is an assassin, she MIGHT not use poison? Don't quote me on that, but I am toying with it. Maybe she doesn't see it as exactly fair, or maybe she ONLY uses poison for death, OR only uses poison to debilitate, never kill, or or or....

So many ideas!

I was told Gnomes here have Garl as a deity, and I wanted to give an homage to LE Modesitt, thus the temple of Lorn thing.

Then, there is my love of Marvel and the recent netflix movies. Since her cousin is Franklin Fort(A Castle, get it?) I decided to do something similar Ayn (RAND) (Daniel) Boone.

Way I see it, she will be sometimes Zen, sometimes mischievous. She won't be above using prestidigitation to make someone spill a drink in their lap for not saying bless you when someone else sneezes. Being good, she will usually be trying to do the right thing, but it will be what is right in HER mind. Which will be heavily influenced by her training and youth growing up in an order of Monks who will kill to make things in the world right.

WELL! That verbal spillage made up my mind! She will not eschew poison! Maybe she will have a rule of her own, or of the order that says she must only poison with intent to kill, whether with the poison or the poison as an aid, but she must never poison then leave the subject of her administrations alive behind her...

Spike gauntlets? Where can I read about those?

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:The fleshcrawler's XP does indeed seem low.

But you guys may recall that I give extra XP for a good battle - particularly when the PCs roll bad and the monster rolls high, but you still defeat it ~ as in this combat.

Also, roleplaying XPs are mostly given each session as well as battle roleplaying XP.

SO, the party stands to gain mucho XP from this encounter with Hugo, the fleshcrawler who was only looking for lunch.

Saxbert would have been lunch and diner!! ;)

R.I.P. Hugo (big jazz fan). :(
I'm not terribly concerned about the xp; that isn't what motivates me. I was super surprised at how powerful a 3 HD creature could be -- especially because it shares the page with an Ettin who kinda/sorta does similar damage but is a 10 HD creature.

Next time I see one I will certainly treat it as the boss monster it is.

I liked your use of terrain btw in that encounter. I can see how if we were quick of thought we could have used it to our advantage. If I had kited it down the hallway with ranged attacks instead of dithering we could have safely knocked those points down and survived without divine intervention. And you did foreshadow the encounter with the other orc who was slumped in the hallway. That is how we knew to pepper it with arrows before approaching. That was a good encounter design in my opinion.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Scitzz wrote:Very cool. I am toying with ideas in my head. I like the idea of CG for alignment. I don't think this girl is gonna care two wits about the law. I have been tempted, 18 INT aside, to say that although she is an assassin, she MIGHT not use poison? Don't quote me on that, but I am toying with it. Maybe she doesn't see it as exactly fair, or maybe she ONLY uses poison for death, OR only uses poison to debilitate, never kill, or or or....

So many ideas!

I was told Gnomes here have Garl as a deity, and I wanted to give an homage to LE Modesitt, thus the temple of Lorn thing.

Then, there is my love of Marvel and the recent netflix movies. Since her cousin is Franklin Fort(A Castle, get it?) I decided to do something similar Ayn (RAND) (Daniel) Boone.

Way I see it, she will be sometimes Zen, sometimes mischievous. She won't be above using prestidigitation to make someone spill a drink in their lap for not saying bless you when someone else sneezes. Being good, she will usually be trying to do the right thing, but it will be what is right in HER mind. Which will be heavily influenced by her training and youth growing up in an order of Monks who will kill to make things in the world right.

WELL! That verbal spillage made up my mind! She will not eschew poison! Maybe she will have a rule of her own, or of the order that says she must only poison with intent to kill, whether with the poison or the poison as an aid, but she must never poison then leave the subject of her administrations alive behind her...

Spike gauntlets? Where can I read about those?
I love this character already. The poison thing reminds me of the samurai rule of never exposing your blade unless you intend to bloody it. When I played a wu jen I had to add on a superstition each time I levelled up. That was fun. If I ever betrayed it I would lose my spells for the day.

Are you familiar with Jim Ward's gnome pantheon? I think it is so clever and fun. I would love to play a game that uses it someday.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:BTB, the flesh crawler contains 70 XP + 3 XP per hit point. 73 XP would be for a one hit point flesh crawler. An "average" flesh crawler would have 106 XP.
Hey BM.

I haven't used the monster XP chart in years as I do the assigning of the XP in my games.

But as I recall, the base is the base and is not tripled – only the per hit point amount.

A typical 3hd monster has 20 as the base amount. Some monsters have a higher 3hd amount such as the fleshcrawler.

So, the XP assigned according the BTB chart would be as follows:

60 + 3x21 hps = 123.

I would give additional special category bonuses.

Special I for animate shell (10xp)
Special I for death throes (10xp)
Special II for 5 or more attacks (15xp)

Grand total for fleshcrawler = 168 divided by 4 PCs = 42 xps

Anyway, that's too low for me and I would probably give him 300 totals xps.

:)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote: Spike gauntlets? Where can I read about those?
Hmm, odd. I couldn't find a pic in the 2nd E Arms & Equipment guide or in the C&C Arms & Armor book.

So, give it a duck duck go search!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

So, dagnabit ~ I forgot to utilize the fleshcrawler's - death throes damage when y'all killed it (that won't happen again). :x

:D

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:I liked your use of terrain btw in that encounter. I can see how if we were quick of thought we could have used it to our advantage. If I had kited it down the hallway with ranged attacks instead of dithering we could have safely knocked those points down and survived without divine intervention. And you did foreshadow the encounter with the other orc who was slumped in the hallway. That is how we knew to pepper it with arrows before approaching. That was a good encounter design in my opinion.
Thanks! :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:I was told Gnomes here have Garl as a deity
Yes, some do. But don't feel you need to choose him (you won't lose any divine protection - it will just come from whatever deity you choose).

So, pick as many as you wish from any pantheon or world (Greyhawk, Aihrde etc.).

My campaign world is Scandinavian in nature in the northern regions, and all regions are situated in a Greyhawk/Aihrde global world.

You can also be a patron of King Argentius, a silver dragon guardian of Scandia and the north regions.

8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:I like the idea of CG for alignment.
I do too.

BTB says assassin alignment must be any non-good, but this CK allows any alignment for this class.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Whooops, I forgot about not being a good alignment for an assassin! I could go CN if needed. I don't mind playing by rules, I have played 3 CN characters recently and wanted a little change up is all. CG does sound like a fun twist on this character, since being an assassin is an afterthought. That was my thought in the beginning about not using poison. Yeah. Yeah. Maybe we could say she is able to be good because her order eschews poison? The rest of the traits are offshoots of specialized monk-ish training?

There I go, talked myself out of poison again!

Also, didn't I read on page three in this thread you allow leather coat or padded armor for a monk? Imma take any advantage I can get, without abusing the system you put in place if I can. You might find that I come up with thoughts of how to do things but if they don't fit, I won't get upset when I can't do them. It is your world, baby, I am just playing in it :)

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rhuvein wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:BTB, the flesh crawler contains 70 XP + 3 XP per hit point. 73 XP would be for a one hit point flesh crawler. An "average" flesh crawler would have 106 XP.
Hey BM.

I haven't used the monster XP chart in years as I do the assigning of the XP in my games.

But as I recall, the base is the base and is not tripled – only the per hit point amount.

A typical 3hd monster has 20 as the base amount. Some monsters have a higher 3hd amount such as the fleshcrawler.

So, the XP assigned according the BTB chart would be as follows:

60 + 3x21 hps = 123.

I would give additional special category bonuses.

Special I for animate shell (10xp)
Special I for death throes (10xp)
Special II for 5 or more attacks (15xp)

Grand total for fleshcrawler = 168 divided by 4 PCs = 42 xps

Anyway, that's too low for me and I would probably give him 300 totals xps.

The BTB figure (70 + 3) matches the chart's output, I think:

20 XP for having 3 HD
10 XP for death throes (Special Category I)
10 XP for animate shell (Special Category I)
15 XP for 5+ attacks per round (Special Category II)
15 XP for paralysis (Special Category II)

That adds up to a 70 XP base. The chart gives 3 XP per hit point for a 3 HD monster. That adds up to the XP value in the monster description (70 + 3).

Personally, I think a measly 15 XP for paralysis is way too low for a creature that gets 6 potentially paralyzing attacks per round. I'd recommend treating each of the 6 paralyzing attacks as separate Special Category II benefits so paralyzation adds 90 to the XP base bringing the total to 145 + 3. For a 21 hit point fleshcrawler, that comes to 208 XP. That's a lot more reasonable than TLG's calculation, but still a bit wimpy when you consider the fleshcrawler's capacity to TPK. I would have no problem with your 300 XP suggestion.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:Whooops, I forgot about not being a good alignment for an assassin! I could go CN if needed. I don't mind playing by rules, I have played 3 CN characters recently and wanted a little change up is all. CG does sound like a fun twist on this character, since being an assassin is an afterthought. That was my thought in the beginning about not using poison. Yeah. Yeah. Maybe we could say she is able to be good because her order eschews poison? The rest of the traits are offshoots of specialized monk-ish training?

There I go, talked myself out of poison again!

Also, didn't I read on page three in this thread you allow leather coat or padded armor for a monk? Imma take any advantage I can get, without abusing the system you put in place if I can. You might find that I come up with thoughts of how to do things but if they don't fit, I won't get upset when I can't do them. It is your world, baby, I am just playing in it :)
No problemo - go with the CG alignment.

Yes, monks get leather coat/vest or padded armor.

However, since your character is an assassin - you may take leather armor (+2).

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Scitzz wrote:
Are you familiar with Jim Ward's gnome pantheon? I think it is so clever and fun. I would love to play a game that uses it someday.
I am not. But I am now utilizing google in hopes of making up for said lack!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

One last post on fleshcrawler XP before I stop imposing on this thread. I checked the 1E DMG to see what BTB XP was for a carrion crawler. It was much higher than in C&C, something like 550-650 XP base if I recall correctly.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Wow. The C&C flesh crawler is a much scarier monster than the AD&D carrion crawler.

Behaviour: tentacle attack which if successful will lead to a bite the next turn vs 8 attacks per round all of which can cause paralysis in C&C
Okay, I lied. One more post. The quoted part above is inaccurate. In 1E, each tentacle attack carried paralysis unless a hit PC made a saving throw. That part is very much in line with C&C.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:
Scitzz wrote:
I am not. But I am now utilizing google in hopes of making up for said lack!
By now you may have found the book, if not ~ it's Of Gods and Monsters, a C&C supplement.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BM, no worries or imposition - we welcome your thoughts (even when they are ridiculous or plain wrong!! :lol: )

;)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The CKG elaborates slighty on the info from the M&T regarding the fleshcrawler (as it does for most of the other monsters).

It mentions that the creature grows too large to inhabit humans/humanoids and begin to go for cows, horses and other wild animals!!

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:Wow. The C&C flesh crawler is a much scarier monster than the AD&D carrion crawler.

Behaviour: tentacle attack which if successful will lead to a bite the next turn vs 8 attacks per round all of which can cause paralysis in C&C
Okay, I lied. One more post. The quoted part above is inaccurate. In 1E, each tentacle attack carried paralysis unless a hit PC made a saving throw. That part is very much in line with C&C.

I was using the Monstrous Manual from AD&D.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:

That isn't a 1E book. Maybe AD&D 2nd Edition? (I dropped out of gaming in the late 80s until 2007 or so, so I missed 2E and know little of its ways.)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:

That isn't a 1E book. Maybe AD&D 2nd Edition? (I dropped out of gaming in the late 80s until 2007 or so, so I missed 2E and know little of its ways.)
Right. As I said originally: "The C&C flesh crawler is a much scarier monster than the AD&D carrion crawler." Not sure how the conversation shifted to 1E but that was interesting to see.
I'm kind of AD&D centric right now because of the module I am currently running.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

So, if I am a level two Monk, for my half class, what level is my assassin? 0 or 1? New to multi and half classing...

Also, how will Ayn be making her entrance? In the dungeon as if she has been there all along? Find her there with no memory of how she got there? Something else? I have no clue what our goals are even, LOL.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Game on tonight?
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Game on tonight?
Yes!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Scitzz wrote:So, if I am a level two Monk, for my half class, what level is my assassin? 0 or 1? New to multi and half classing...
Not sure, what does the book say?

If I have time, I'll try to have a look.