Sunday night World of Greyhawk™ C&C game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Sunday night World of Greyhawk™ C&C game

Post by Kayolan »

I'm looking to run a C&C campaign online via Roll20 with voice chat only. The game will be every Sunday night. Time is anytime between 8:30-12ish pm Eastern. Using the C&C PHB with house rules. If you're interested let me know, post a character or pm me. I'm hoping to get at least two players but can handle up to 6 (or more!).

Edit: We now have 6 players! 8-)

HOUSE RULES

CHARACTER GENERATION:
I like characters to have medium to high stat rolls. As most characters have 2 to 3 primes, these should be higher than the rest. For ability scores, roll 1d6 + 12 twice and 4d6, reroll all 1's, take the best 3, four times. Arrange as desired. Players can roll two sets and choose either set of 6 scores. You cannot mix and match.

HIT POINTS: First level in any class gets max hit points. For all other levels of the same class, roll the appropriate die roll for that class, d4, d6, d10, etc.

If character starts with more than 1 class, take max hit points for starting level for each class, then roll the appropriate die for all levels there after. Reroll all 1's. Note that if multi-classing or dual-classing, you must follow the rules as stated in the "Castle Zagyg: Class Options & Skills " doc.

The Castle Zagyg: Class Options & Skills doc can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/200805260710 ... zpdf1.html

Players can do their rolls on their own. I trust people not to cheat.

I require all character's attribute scores, hit points, and armor class upon character completion. This should be updated to me if they change (and are not temporary).

STARTING COIN: Max. gp at level 1 as per the PHB. For starting characters above level 1, use the following table to determine the amount to begin based on level. To determine a character's level if multi- or dual-classed, use the sum of the highest class and 1/2 of the next class, rounded down.

Char. Level Wealth (GP) Char. Level Wealth (GP)
1 Max per PHB 11 59500
2 1000 12 79000
3 2500 13 99000
4 5000 14 135000
5 8000 15 180000
6 12000 16 234000
7 17000 17 306000
8 24500 18 396000
9 32500 19 522000
10 44000 20 684000

STARTING EQUIPMENT: In addition to starting coin, players are permitted to start play with any item(s) they want for free as follows:

Char Level:
2-5 +1 item
6-7: +2 item or two +1 items
8-9: +3 Item or three +1 Items and one +2 item
10+: +4 item or any combination adding up to 4

CHARACTER EQUIPMENT: Players can equip their characters as they see fit.

ATTRIBUTE SCORES: Just as our characters gain experience, as they move through levels, they are perfecting certain attributes. Thus, there is an attribute increase every 3rd level. However, the attribute increase must be one of their primes, as these are the scores the characters 'specialize' in. Ex. A 9 level human fighter has 3 attribute increases. He must put them in one of his three primes, such as DEX, STR, and CON. He can put them all in 1 attribute, or spread them out. For multi-class characters, add up the class levels and divide by the number of classes. For every 3 levels, increase ability scores as stated above.

ABILITY MODIFIERS: As per C&C PHB

ALIGNMENT: While party cohesion is important for most parties, things happen. If fighter X is shooting enemies and fumbles say 3 times over a span of time and hits player Y, then Y should be able to react in whatever manner they want, with no restrictions. Player characters are not forced to be buddy buddy with other characters all the time (although it does make things easier). Some of the best role-playing comes out when there are party disputes, quarrels, arguments, and so on.

That being said, I don't restrict players to choose non-evil alignments. There is enough evil for the party to vanquish, but if someone wants to play an evil alignment, then they have to deal with the consequences if things go sour. I do not interfere with party activities and such. If an argument rises to where players are combating with each other, then we role-play it out. Nobody wants to lose a character to another player, however, not every group of adventurers will get along 100% of the time.

Finally, alignments can change during a game. If you are lawful good and continually cast fireballs at a town of innocent onlookers, chances are your alignment will not stay 'good' for long. There is no hard fast rule on what you can and cannot do under your alignment, just use common sense. If your actions will change your alignment, I'll point it out to you before the action happens just to remind you, but I wont restrict it in any way.

RELIGION: Most religious choices are made by divine or arcane characters, but any class can have a faith they follow. The deities available are those of the WORLD OF GREYHAWK fantasy setting. A fighter could be a devout follower of say Boccob, even though he doesn't have any arcane abilities granted by Boccob. The one advantage of choosing a deity for any class is that of god/goddess intervention. When people realize they are in mortal danger, they often make a plea to their god/goddess. It is very rare for someone "upstairs" to intervene, but it can happen. A character will get a bonus to the intervention roll depending on how devout they are.

DEATH: Even though player characters can all be considered heroes, more than most NPCs that exist in a given game, they do at times die. I don't intervene to stop player character death, nor do I offer 'fate' points or other methods GM's offer their players to escape from death. If you die, you have two options: Either roll up a new character of one level less than the character that died, no restriction on class, race, etc. Two, you can be resurrected, with a penalty of one level lower. Note that there has to be a divine caster with the appropriate levels and a suitable fee paid for this to occur.

Finally, when being raised from the dead, there will be a small % chance that you do not return from the dead. Even if you want to return, your soul belongs to your deity. There has to be some consequence for dying, if not, for me it creates party laziness and promotes recklessness.

For clarity, when you come back from the dead and drop a level if choosing to keep the same character, the following indicates what your XP would be based on character level:

Character Levels 1 to 5: Start exactly one level lower

Character Levels 6+: Start 1/2 way to the level just lost

NOTE: A character dies from hit point loss when they reach -10 - CON Mod. If a character has a 16 CON, they will perish at -12. All other rules for character status between 0 and -9 is as per C&C PHB. Note that this is the same for NPCs and monsters.

LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: Like most d20 games, this is based on the INT mod. You get your racial language for free, any local dialect as well, and then additional languages based on the INT mod. As well, if a character has a 0 or less modifier, they just speak their racial language. Depending on how low their INT score is will dictate how well a character can grasp his own racial language. If a player feels his or her character should be allowed to use any additional languages beyond what's given, explain why, and it may be permitted.

There are many different languages and local dialects in the Flanaess. The following are the more common ones that can be selected as regional languages:

Common, Suloise, Flan, Ancient Baklunish, Old Oeridian, Ferrel, Nyrondese, The Cold Tongue (Fruz), Velondi, Keolandish, and Lendorian

The list of bonus languages are as follows:

Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Giant, Gnoll, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

EXPERIENCE: Players are assigned experience in the normal manner, however, no experience is awarded for acquiring treasure. My experience progression tables have been created with this factor in mind. Treasure is a reward in and of itself. Bonus experience points can be given above and beyond normal role-playing depending on the circumstances.

CLASSES:There are a total of 28 character classes available; 13 in the PHB and 15 from the Netbook of Classes by Simon Washbourne.

Netbook can be downloaded at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/cc/

NOTE: There are no Psionics in my games, don't even ask.

There is a restriction of no more than 3 classes per human character and only 2 classes per demi-human. If a player chooses say three classes, he can assign any XP awarded to one class or spread it out amongst all three. Again, see the CZ doc on how multi-class and dual-class characters work.

FIGHTERS: The fighter class is under powered in my opinion compared to what other classes get as they progress through the levels. I am adding the following to the class as an incentive to play a straight fighter. If anyone plays a fighter, it will give me a chance to have it play-tested.

Level 1: Weapon Specialization 1 = The fighter can choose one weapon with which to specialize. All weapons are eligible, including ranged weapons. The fighter gains a +1 to hit and a +1 to damage using the specialized weapon of choice.

Level 3: Cleave = If a fighter deals enough damage to drop a foe under 0 hit points, or killing it, you gain an extra melee attack against another foe within reach (5 ft. for med and down, 10 ft. for large). This can be done once per round.

Level 5: Weapon Specialization 2 = The fighter increases his hit/damage to +2/+2 with his specialized weapon of choice.

Level 7: Great Cleave: As cleave, but there is no limit to the number of extra attacks per round as long as the foes keep dropping.

Level 9: Weapon Specialization 3 = The fighter increases his hit/damage to +3/+3 with his specialized weapon of choice.

Extra Attacks: Starting at 4th level, a fighter begins gaining an additional attack with any weapon. These extra attacks progress as follows:

Level 1-3 One attack

Level 4-6 Three attacks per 2 rounds (3/2)

Level 7-10 Two attacks per round (2/1)

Level 11+ Three attacks per round (3/1)

The following secondary fighting classes also get the benefit of extra attacks. These classes include:

Ranger / Barbarian / Monk / Knight / Paladin / Freebooter / Gallowglass / Horse Warrior / Marksman / Rogue / Assassin / Bard / Crowner / Executioner / Harlequin / Herald / Merchant / Spellsword

The following attacking progressions are as follows:

Level 1-5 One attack

Level 6 - 10 Three attacks per 2 rounds (3/2)

Level 11+ Two attacks per round (2/1)

DIVINE/ARCANE BLASTS: A new class ability for spell casters, including: wizard/illusionist/cleric/druid/houri. These are pure energy attacks that any spell caster can use every other round as long as they do not cast any spells on the round in between. Yes, this means all day long. This is because that round is a recharge/"gather the power" round. This attack requires a "To hit" roll versus the target's AC, but the caster's BtH for purposes of this attack is equal to their caster level and is modified by their DEX. Damage is 1d4 per 2 levels of the caster. Typically a cleric uses their holy symbol and arcane casters most frequently make a wand.

A SIEGE check can be made to blast every round, it will be CON based, and failed checks will cost a temporary loss of one CON point to simulate the exhaustive nature of wasting the energy as well as gathering it so quickly. The CL will equal the amount of dice you want to do for damage.

There is a slight change to the CROWNER class. I am removing the restriction on armor as I don't follow the logic of not being able to use heavy armor. So the armor for a Crowner should read (any).

CONVERTING SPELLS: Divine casters may switch any spell they have prepared to a healing spell of equal or lower level.

DIVINE DOMAINS: Divine casters will have access to their deity's domains as per the D&D 3.5 srd:
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm

RACES: All of the core races in the C&C PHB.

INITIATIVE ROLLS: As characters become more experienced, they are able to react to circumstances that initiate an encounter roll. In addition to being able to react physically based on DEX, a character is able to use their minds to scan the situation and react accordingly. Thus, they can also use their WIS or INT to add to the initiative roll. This will take some getting used to at the beginning of an encounter, but after awhile, players will be able to do this without much effort. At the beginning of an encounter, or whenever I deem an initiative roll needs to be made, roll a d10 and add the character's DEX modifier and the WIS/INT modifier (which ever is highest).

Note that this will be done for monsters and NPC's that you encounter. For any monster that does not include their ability level, it will be based on the creature's HD.

HONESTY: If we keep everything within the rules stated above, everyone will enjoy the game more. There will be no room for players who want to fudge die rolls, create 'optional' rules that I have not seen or read before and, or say they have spells/equipment/ and so on that they do not have. If I catch anyone cheating, they will be given one warning. If it continues, the player will be asked to leave the game.

HENCHMEN/FOLLOWERS: No player is permitted to play a second character. If your character, through game play has acquired a henchmen or follower, they will not be permitted to travel with the group. I find that at times, this takes away from the game and in game terms, reduces experience and game play from all players. If you have a familiar or pet like a dog, that is up to you if you want them to travel with the group, and you are aware of the consequences that may occur bringing a low level critter along.

RANGED COMBAT: When firing ranged weapons into melee, the attacker must be a certain distance away from the target in order for the ranged attack to be effective. If the ranged attack consists of arrows, bolts, etc., the attacker must be at least 10 feet away while thrown ranged weapons like axes, knives, etc. have to be made at least 5 ft. away. This prevents ranged attacks being made in melee which doesn't get the velocity and distance required to maximize damage.

As well, if you shoot at your target and miss, there is a chance that your arrow, bolt, axe, etc. may hit a target not of your choosing. When there are more targets in melee, friend or foe, a random die will be rolled to first see the direction of the missed projectile by me. If a 1-3 on a d8 is rolled, a secondary attack roll is made and damage is rolled if the hit is good. The missile weapon doesn't disappear when it misses the target. It hits something, another party member, monster, the ground, and so on. This is a realistic approach to missing that is not done in other games. However if it tends to bog things down, I'll certainly review the rule and modify or delete if necessary.

TRIP ATTACKS: You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller. This can only be attempted using a weapon that permits the attempt, such as a whip. Make an unarmed melee touch attack (target doesn't get his armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus, if any). If your attack succeeds, make a STR check opposed by the defenders DEX or STR check (whichever is higher). A combatant gets a +4 to the check for every size category he is larger than Medium and a -4 for for every size category his is smaller than Medium. If you win, you trip the defender. If you lose, the defender can immediately react and make a STR opposed by your DEX or STR check to try and trip you. A tripped character is prone (prone means they take a -4 on their own melee attack, while gaining a +4 to AC from a ranged attacks and a -4 to AC from melee attacks made on the prone character).

Weapons that can be used to make a trip attack include: whip, spiked chain, heavy flail, light flail, guisarme, and halberd. The distance from the trip target must follow the range of a weapon, ex 15 ft. for a whip.

MAGICAL ITEM ATTRIBUTE BONUS: M&T is somewhat contradictory regarding the type of attribute bonus of items from its descriptions and tables. FYI, the items that give a bonus to attributes are only of the +2, +4, or +6 variety. Thus, characters are not permitted to purchase say Gloves of Dexterity +1 for 1,000 gp as per the item description. Anything over +6 is possible, but it is considered an epic item and very costly.

DISPEL MAGIC (REVISED):
CT 1
SV: see below
R: 100 ft. + 10 ft. / caster level
SR: Yes
Duration: see below
Comp: V, S

This spell ends ongoing spells and spell-like effects that have been cast on a creature or object, temporarily supressing the magical abilities of a magic item or counters another spellcaster's spell within an area of 20 by 20 by 20 feet. The caster must make a successful Intelligence (Arcane) / Wisdom (Divine) check against each spell, effect, object or creature in the area of effect to succeed. Some spells, as detailed in their descriptions, can't be defeated by dispel magic.

All magic within the area of effect is affected. The functioning of magic items is suppressed for 1d4 rounds. Artifacts/Sentient Items are uneffected

Interdimensional portals close for # rounds = caster's level

A creature or object who's presence is maintained by an ongoing spell, such as a summoned monster, is sent back to hence them came. The caster can automatically dispel any spell or spell-like effect caster by the owner.

Targeted Dispel: Dispel Check: 1d20 + caster level + INT or WIS mod (Whichever is prime for the spell caster)

If targeting an ongoing spell cast by another spell-caster The target check is vs 12+spell casters level + INT or WIS mod (Whichever is prime for the spell caster).

If targeting an item, you make a dispel check vs a Challenge Rating for the item in question.

The CR for each item/spell/spell-like ability is done in a table I have created based on magical potency and currency value. Don't ask for the table.

CONCENTRATING IN SPELLCASTING: When interrupted in casting a spell, a spellcaster must make a WIS (for divine casters) or INT (for arcane casters) check for the spell to succeed. If it fails, the spell is ruined, but is NOT lost from memory. The check is 12 + spell level.

OVERCASTING MODIFIED: from the PHB. If a spell caster wishes to cast a spell from a scroll that they do not have access to at low level, they can make a SEIGE check, vs TN at 12+2CL, where CL = the spell level above the spell level of the caster x2. So an 8th level wizard can cast up to 4th level. They find a scroll with a 7th level spell on it. To cast the 7th level spell, its 3 levels higher than she normally can cast. So the TN = 12 + 3(2) = 18. If the check is made (1d20+caster level + INT mod (for wizard), the spell goes off as normal. If the check is unsuccessful, the spell does not get off and is wasted.

Note that if a spell caster is casting a spell of 1 level higher, The CL = 1 So they need to roll a 14 or higher. If the spell is 2 levels higher, check is 16, 3 levels higher, check is 18 and so on.

I've change this as I think, for example, a 16th level mage can cast a 9th level spell much easier than a 1st level mage. From the PHB, the siege check for both 1st and 16th mage would be the same. TN of 21. In my format, the 16th level mage would have a TN of 14 while the 1st level mage would have a TN of 28. (Which would be quite difficult for a low level mage to pull off.)

TURNING UNDEAD AREA OF EFFECT: If a divine turning check is made, any undead within "Line of Effect" of the cleric can be affected. The undead does not need to see the cleric as it 'senses' the presence of the cleric and his holy symbol. Sight of the undead is not necessary. Think of the line of effect as being a 10ft./caster level radius blast of positive energy. This is essentially line of sight but is not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

MONSTER ATTACKS: Monsters use their HD for attacks comparable to BtH for PCs. I have been using their STR mod as well. However, some critters that I have used and will in the future have a very high STR mod. To edit this, I am using a block 4 per increase of STR mod starting at 20. This means that a 20-23 on STR gives a +4 , 24-27 = +5, 28-31 = +6 and so on.

SPELL RESISTANCE: According to M&T, to overcome a foe's Spell Resistance (SR), the spell caster has to roll an unmodified 1d20 roll. If this is equal to or exceeds the SR of the creature, then the spell works. C&C from what I can see has baddies that do not have an SR greater than 20, so this system seems fine. However, since I draw on a lot of d20 resources that have critters with SR over 20, this system will fail. So...... To beat a foe's SR, the caster must roll a 1d20, and add their spellcasting level plus their INT or WIS, whichever is prime for the spell caster.

HASTE (CLARIFIED):
Level 3 Wizard
Range: 50 ft.
Duration: 1 rnd/lvl
Save: CON (see below)
SR: Yes

Description: The transmuted creature can move and act more quickly than normal. This speed has several effects:

1. The hasted creature can move double their movement as a full round action. No other actions can be taken if the hasted creature moves twice their move. If the creature moves 1/2 of this movement score, they can:

A. Receive an additional attack.

B. Sing an additional spellsong (Bard only).

They are not permitted to cast any extra divine/arcane spells.

2. The hasted creature receives a +1 bonus to AC and DEX-based saves.

3. At durations end, or if the spell is ended prematurely, the hasted creature must make a CON save CL 5. If the save is passed, the hasted creature suffers no ill effects. If fails, the creature suffers from fatigue.

FATIGUED: A fatigued creature takes a -2 to STR, -2 to DEX, -10 to movement and cannot cannot run at full speed for 4 hours. If a fatigued creature acts in any way that would normally cause fatigue, the creature becomes exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

EXHAUSTED: An exhausted creature takes a -6 to STR, -6 to DEX, and can only move at 1/2. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted creature becomes fatigued.

BOOTS OF SPEED: The wearer of these boots may act as if a haste spell was cast upon him for up to 30 rounds each day. The duration does not need to take place over consecutive rounds. Each time the wearer ends the haste effect, a CON save is made as per the haste spell.

ARCANE SPELL CASTERS AND ARMOR: Arcane spell casters are permitted to wear armor, but the percent chance that their spells will be disrupted depends on the type of armor; light, medium, or heavy.

Light Armor imposes a 15% spell failure rate.

Medium Armor imposes a 25% spell failure rate.

Heavy Armor imposes a 40% spell failure rate.

Any arcane spell caster attempting to cast a spell while wearing armor will have to make a % roll. If the roll is under the percent assigned to each armor type, the spell is disrupted and ruined.

Light Armor includes:

padded, leather coat, leather, ring mail, hide, studded leather, and laminar leather

Medium Armor includes:

mail shirt, scale mail, cuir bouille, bronze breastplate, brigadine, steel breastplate, mail hauberk, coat of plates, and Greek ensemble 1

Heavy Armor includes:

banded, splint mail, Greek ensemble 2, Roman ensemble 1, full chain shirt, plate mail, Roman ensemble 2, full plate, and Polish hussar

ARCANE SPELLBOOKS: Through practice and studying, as a wizard moves up in levels, he is able to write new spells into his spell book. A wizard is able to add 1 + INT mod spells in his spell book. The maximum spells added at the current level of the caster is 3.

For example. Mr. X has an INT of 18 (+3 mod). Mr. X moves from level 1 to 2. The initial number of spells in the book is 4 0-Level + 3 1-Level PLUS 4 spells. He is permitted to have 2 new spells at 1st level and 2 more 0-Level.

Thus, Mr. X has 6 0-Level and 5 1-Level spells in his spell book. He is able to cast 4 0-Level and 3 1-Level for the day.

Mr. X now moves to Level 3 gaining 2-Level spells. He gains 4 more spells in his spell book. Only 3 can be 2nd-Level and 1 more can be 0-Level or 1-Level.

Mr. X add 1 more 1-Level spell to his spell book including the 3 2-Level. Hence, his spell book now contains 6 0-Level, 6 1-Level and 3 2-Level. He is able to cast 4 0-Level, 4 1-Level and 2 2-Level.

WRITING NEW SPELLS: An arcane spell caster can copy spells from another source (scroll/spell book/etc.) into their own spell book by first spending 1 day + 1 day / level of spell writing into their own book.

Once done, before attempting to cast the spell from his/her own spell book, an INT check must be made to cast the spell with the challenge level = spell level.

More intelligent casters can shorten the time required to write the spell into their own book by subtracting a day per INT modifier of the caster.
The minimum time is still 1 day regardless of the level of spell being written.

For example, Mr. X find a scroll with 3 spells on it that he doesn't have in his own spell book. His Intelligence modifier is +3. The spell levels are 0, 3 and 8.

For the 0-Level spell, it takes 1 + 0 (level) = 1 day to scribe it (minimum)
For the 3-Level spell, it takes 1 + 3 (level) = 4 - 3 (INT Mod) = 1 day to scribe it.
For the 8th Level spell, it takes 1 + 8 (level) = 9 - 3 (INT Mod) = 6 days to scribe it.

SPELLBOOK SIZE: Each spell book unless otherwise noted contains 100 pages. A spell takes up 1 page per spell level (0-level takes 1 page).

CREATING SCROLLS:
The minimum level a primary divine caster (Cleric & Druid) can create a scroll is 7th.

The minimum level a secondary divine caster (Paladin) can create a scroll is 9th.

The minimum level an arcane caster (Wizard & Illusionist) can create a scroll is 7th.

SCROLL COSTS: To inscribe a spell on a scroll, the material used must be a specially prepared and clean piece of vellum, papyrus, or paper. The ink, chalk or other material needed to write the inscription costs 50 gp per spell, irrespective of level

Since a fireball at caster level 12 is much more potent that at caster level 7, its important to use a formula for the cost to create it based on caster level and not just the base 100 gp as per the C&C PHB. Also, there should be some incentive to casters to create their own scrolls as opposed to buying other's work. Hence I have made it cheaper to create their own.

The cost for inscribing a spell on a scroll is:

17.5 gp x the level of the spell x the caster level + 50 gp (materials)

Here are some examples:

7th level caster inscribes Detect Magic on a scroll: Cost = 17.5x1x7 + 50 = 172.5 gp (127.5 gp cheaper than M&T)

7th level caster inscribes Ice Storm on a scroll: Cost = 17.5x4x7 + 50 = 540 gp (60 gp cheaper)

The rationale behind this is that scrolls containing spells of a lower level are much more common than scrolls with higher level spells. Hence, the savings on the cost is higher at low spell levels.

4th level spells is the highest level spell a 7th level caster can create. Hence the scroll cost for all scrolls in M&T is based on caster level 7.

A caster is not able to inscribe spells on a scroll that they do not have access to. So, A 9th level cleric, for example, is only able to inscribe 5th level spells or lower on a scroll.

The maximum number of spell levels a caster can inscribe on a scroll is Caster Level + Attribute Mod. For example, Wizard X is level 9 and has an Int mod of +3. He can inscribe a maximum of 12 spell levels on a scroll. He can put twelve 1st level spells on the scroll, or six 2nd level, etc.

Fireball:

A 7th level Caster inscribes fireball on piece of paper: Cost = 17.5x3x7 + 50 = 417.5 gp

The cost of a Fireball scroll in M&T is 500 gp

Both would provide 7d6 if fire damage. The caster creating it is cheaper because of the time spent to create it.

INSCRIPTION TIME: The inscription process is demanding on those performing the action. To inscribe a spell, 6 hours per level of spell inscribed must be spent performing the action. This process doesn't need to be continuous (unlike potion making).

So, to inscribe a 2nd level spell, it would take 2*6 = 12 hours. It can be done over any period of time as long as 12 hours is completed in the end. Time keeping would have to be done if the caster is not doing it all in a 12 hour sitting. An hour can be done one day, 6 hours the next, and 5 on the third day, or any combination of time that adds to 12.

Inscribing a spell on a scroll is an exhausting process. The maximum number of consecutive hours per day that can be used to inscribe a scroll is 12. So, multiple days would need to be used to inscribe a scroll with spell levels equal to or greater than 3.

If 12 consecutive hours are used to inscribe spell(s) on a scroll, a CON check (CL = Spell level) must be made. If failed, any actions like combat are at a global -2 to attacks, damage, saves and checks until an 8 hour rest period can occur.

I think the time to create a scroll by the book is too high so I reduced it by 1/2. As for the cost, there should be some incentive to casters to create their own scrolls as opposed to buying others' work. Hence I have made it cheaper to create their own.

PALADIN SPELLCASTING: Paladins have always had the ability to cast a small number of divine spells in different versions of D&D. Hence, I would like to bring it into C&C as well. Beginning at 6th level, a paladin is able to cast first level spells. A new spell level is obtained every 2 levels after 6th. (i.e. 2nd level spells at 8th level, 3rd level at 10th level, and finally 4th level at 12th level where it caps off). The number of spells available to a paladin is shown in the table below:

Level/1/2/3/4

6/1/0/0/0

7/1/0/0/0

8/1/1/0/0

9/2/1/0/0

10/2/1/1/0

11/2/1/1/0

12/2/2/1/1

13/3/2/1/1

14/3/2/2/1

15/3/2/2/1

16/3/3/2/2

17/4/3/2/2

18/4/3/3/2

19/4/3/3/2

20/4/4/3/3

You also get a bonus number of spells the same as cleric. (See C&C PHB)
If you are playing a paladin, you will have access to the same spells as a cleric.

ARMOR CLASS CLARIFICATION:

Here is a list of things that do not stack based on what I have been reading in older editions of D&D, C&C, srd and 3.5:

1. Any item, spell or ability that offers the same type of bonus do not stack. The PC will use the highest bonus available.

2. Ring of Protection AND magic bonus on armor: If +2 ring and +3 armor, then the ring will not help with AC.

3. Amulet of Natural Armor (or racial Natural Armor) AND armor: Amulet of NA (or racial) will not grant a bonus to AC if the armor worn is medium or larger. NA does offer damage reduction. DR = 1/2 any NA bonus

4. Bracers of Armor AND armor: They both provide armor bonus and no not stack. Use the one with the highest 'plus' on it.

NOTE: This document is ever changing. If you think of any rules or options you would like to see changed, added, or created, let me know. I am open to all kinds of things. If it makes sense and will promote positive game play, I'll add it to this document.

NEW EXPERIENCE POINT LEVEL REQUIREMENTS:

ASSASSIN:
1 0
2 1550
3 3100
4 5000
5 7200
6 9900
7 15000
8 22000
9 33000
10 46000
11 62000
12 82500
13 106000
14 130000
15 170000
16 215000
17 275000
18 340000
19 440000
20 550000

BARBARIAN:
1 0
2 2000
3 4100
4 6800
5 10500
6 15000
7 23000
8 32000
9 42000
10 61500
11 88000
12 130000
13 182000
14 237000
15 310000
16 385000
17 475000
18 575000
19 715000
20 880000

BARD:
1 0
2 1300
3 2900
4 5100
5 7600
6 11000
7 16500
8 26500
9 38500
10 55000
11 82500
12 120000
13 165000
14 230000
15 300000
16 380000
17 470000
18 560000
19 690000
20 825000

CLERIC:
1 0
2 2100
3 4200
4 6600
5 9400
6 13000
7 19500
8 27500
9 41000
10 58000
11 84700
12 127000
13 176000
14 234000
15 305000
16 380000
17 470000
18 570000
19 700000
20 850000

CROWNER:
1 0
2 1300
3 2900
4 5100
5 7600
6 11000
7 16500
8 26500
9 39000
10 55000
11 83000
12 120000
13 165000
14 230000
15 300000
16 380000
17 470000
18 560000
19 690000
20 825000

DERVISH:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9400
6 15000
7 22000
8 33000
9 46000
10 60500
11 87000
12 132000
13 182000
14 237000
15 310000
16 385000
17 475000
18 575000
19 725000
20 880000

DRUID:
1 0
2 1900
3 3600
4 5500
5 8600
6 13000
7 19500
8 36500
9 46000
10 57000
11 77000
12 105000
13 138000
14 195000
15 265000
16 340000
17 430000
18 525000
19 660000
20 800000

EXECUTIONER:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9500
6 15000
7 22000
8 30000
9 40000
10 60000
11 86000
12 132000
13 180000
14 238000
15 310000
16 385000
17 475000
18 575000
19 690000
20 880000

FIGHTER:
1 0
2 1750
3 3500
4 5500
5 8600
6 12700
7 18000
8 27000
9 45000
10 61000
11 87000
12 132000
13 180000
14 237000
15 308000
16 385000
17 475000
18 570000
19 715000
20 880000

FREEBOOTER:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9500
6 14000
7 20000
8 28000
9 41000
10 62000
11 86000
12 127000
13 170000
14 220000
15 275000
16 340000
17 420000
18 500000
19 600000
20 750000

FRIAR:
1 0
2 2100
3 4200
4 6600
5 9400
6 13000
7 19500
8 27500
9 41000
10 58000
11 84700
12 127000
13 176000
14 234000
15 305000
16 380000
17 470000
18 570000
19 700000
20 850000

GALLOWGLASS:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9500
6 14000
7 20000
8 28000
9 41000
10 62000
11 86000
12 127000
13 170000
14 220000
15 275000
16 340000
17 420000
18 500000
19 600000
20 750000

GOLIARD:
1 0
2 2100
3 4200
4 6600
5 9400
6 13000
7 19500
8 27500
9 41000
10 58000
11 84700
12 127000
13 176000
14 234000
15 305000
16 380000
17 470000
18 570000
19 700000
20 850000

HARLEQUIN:
1 0
2 1300
3 2900
4 5100
5 7600
6 11000
7 16500
8 26500
9 39000
10 55000
11 83000
12 120000
13 165000
14 230000
15 300000
16 380000
17 470000
18 560000
19 690000
20 825000

HORSE WARRIOR:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9500
6 14000
7 20000
8 28000
9 41000
10 62000
11 86000
12 127000
13 170000
14 220000
15 275000
16 340000
17 420000
18 500000
19 600000
20 750000

HOURI:
1 0
2 1300
3 2900
4 5100
5 7600
6 11000
7 16500
8 26500
9 39000
10 55000
11 83000
12 120000
13 165000
14 230000
15 300000
16 380000
17 470000
18 560000
19 690000
20 825000

ILLUSIONIST:
1 0
2 2200
3 4300
4 7200
5 10500
6 16000
7 24000
8 32000
9 42000
10 60000
11 87000
12 130000
13 200000
14 255000
15 330000
16 430000
17 540000
18 660000
19 825000
20 1000000

KNAVE:
1 0
2 1900
3 3600
4 5500
5 8600
6 13000
7 19500
8 36500
9 46000
10 57000
11 77000
12 105000
13 138000
14 195000
15 265000
16 340000
17 430000
18 525000
19 660000
20 800000

KNIGHT:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9500
6 14000
7 20000
8 28000
9 41000
10 62000
11 86000
12 127000
13 170000
14 220000
15 275000
16 340000
17 420000
18 500000
19 600000
20 750000

LORE WARDEN:
1 0
2 2200
3 4300
4 7200
5 10500
6 16000
7 24000
8 32000
9 42000
10 60000
11 87000
12 130000
13 200000
14 255000
15 330000
16 430000
17 540000
18 660000
19 825000
20 1000000

MARKSMAN:
1 0
2 1750
3 3500
4 5500
5 8600
6 12700
7 18000
8 27000
9 45000
10 61000
11 87000
12 132000
13 180000
14 237000
15 308000
16 385000
17 475000
18 570000
19 715000
20 880000

MERCHANT:
1 0
2 1300
3 2900
4 5100
5 7600
6 11000
7 16500
8 26500
9 39000
10 55000
11 83000
12 120000
13 165000
14 230000
15 300000
16 380000
17 470000
18 560000
19 690000
20 825000

MONK:
1 0
2 1500
3 3500
4 5500
5 10500
6 15000
7 23000
8 31000
9 41000
10 61000
11 87000
12 130000
13 200000
14 270000
15 350000
16 440000
17 545000
18 660000
19 850000
20 1000000

PALADIN:
1 0
2 2200
3 4400
4 7700
5 12000
6 17500
7 26000
8 36500
9 53000
10 77000
11 115000
12 160000
13 220000
14 286000
15 363000
16 450000
17 550000
18 660000
19 880000
20 1100000

PALADIN WITH SPELLS:
1 0
2 2400
3 4800
4 8500
5 13300
6 19500
7 28500
8 40000
9 58000
10 85000
11 127000
12 175000
13 242000
14 315000
15 400000
16 500000
17 600000
18 725000
19 1000000
20 1200000

RANGER:
1 0
2 2100
3 4000
4 6600
5 9400
6 15000
7 22000
8 30000
9 40000
10 60000
11 86000
12 132000
13 180000
14 237000
15 310000
16 385000
17 500000
18 575000
19 715000
20 880000

ROGUE:
1 0
2 1100
3 2200
4 3900
5 6000
6 8800
7 13000
8 19500
9 27500
10 38500
11 55000
12 74000
13 100000
14 125000
15 165000
16 210000
17 260000
18 315000
19 375000
20 450000

SPELLSWORD:
1 0
2 2200
3 4300
4 7200
5 10500
6 16000
7 24000
8 32000
9 42000
10 60000
11 87000
12 130000
13 200000
14 255000
15 330000
16 430000
17 540000
18 660000
19 825000
20 1000000

WIZARD:
1 0
2 2200
3 4300
4 7200
5 10500
6 16000
7 24000
8 32000
9 42000
10 60000
11 87000
12 130000
13 200000
14 255000
15 330000
16 430000
17 540000
18 660000
19 825000
20 1000000

ckemper13
Henchman

Re: Looking to start a game of C&C ~ players needed

Post by ckemper13 »

I am new to the game (just discovered it) but I would be interested.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

ckemper13 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm
I am new to the game (just discovered it) but I would be interested.
You are welcome to play. Do you have access to the Castles & Crusades Players Handbook? It's available as a free PDF here: https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/P ... p/89198194

If you have any questions do let me know.

ckemper13
Henchman

Post by ckemper13 »

I do have the book. just started reading it

Seurek Morak
Henchman

Post by Seurek Morak »

Until the trolls sort out my account, I'll use this one. I'm in. Get er going :)

LS.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Seurek Morak wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 pm
Until the trolls sort out my account, I'll use this one. I'm in. Get er going :)

LS.
Awesome, glad to have you in the game Lord Seurek! Post your character when you can.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I've created a Roll20 page so that you can add your characters to it, there are plenty of blank character sheets, just grab one and fill it out. If you prefer you can add you character sheet to this thread instead.

https://app.roll20.net/join/11092989/3or8AQ

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Galen Rolep: Human Cleric
Campaign: Josh's CnC Game
Level 1
Deity: Pelor
Movement: 30 ft
Allignment: Neutral Good
XP: 1000/2100
Hit Die: d8
BtH: 0
Initiative roll: 1d10+5 (+2 dex +3 wis)

Height: 5ft,11 in
Weight: 184 lbs

Raw Attribute rolls:
13, 13, 15, 12, 13, 15
16, 18, 9, 16, 9, 13

Attributes:
Str: 13 (+1) Prime
Dex: 16 (+2)
Con: 16 (+2) Prime
Int: 9 (--)
Wis: 18 (+3) Prime
Cha: 9 (--)

HP: 10/10
AC: 19

Racial Abilities: 3rd Prime

Cleric Class Abilities:
Divine Spell Casting
Bonus Spells: Bonus 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spell (Wisdom 18)
Turn Undead: Successful Wis check to turn undead within 60 ft with holy symbol presented.

Armor:
Full Chain Suit (AC +6)
Medium Steel Shield (AC +1)
Normal Helm

Combat (Weapons):
Morningstar: Attack: 1d20+1 Damage: 2d4+1

Basic Equipment:
Full Chain Suit
Coat of Plates
Backpack
Crowbar
7 days rations
Silver Holy Symbol
Hemp Rope (50 ft)
Flint and Steel
20 Torches
Quill
Ink (1 ounce)
Parchment (10 sheets) in scroll case
Small Belt Pouch
Waterskin

Currency: 181 gp 8 sp 298 cp
250 gp garnet

Divine Spells (Typical Daily Selection): 3/2

0-Level: Create Water, Detect Magic, Endure Elements
1-Level: Cure Light Wounds X 2

Divine Blast: Attack: 1d20+3 Damage: 1d4

L.S.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Edit: Looks like we are going with Sunday nights.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

All of the above good sir!

L.S.

GruntledGames
Henchman

Re: New C&C Sunday night game begins! ~ there's still room

Post by GruntledGames »

Hey- I posted Nocnivitr on the roll20 site - will write up her background

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: New C&C Sunday night game begins! ~ there's still room

Post by Kayolan »

GruntledGames wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 am
Hey- I posted Nocnivitr on the roll20 site - will write up her background
Cool!

ckemper13
Henchman

Re: C&C Sunday night Greyhawk game ~ room for more

Post by ckemper13 »

Posted character on roll 20.. I still need back ground and might change name

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Kos of the Northern Winds

Campaign: Greyhawk

Land of Origin: Frost Barbarians

Level: 1st

Race: Human

Class: Barbarian

Alignment: Chaotic Good

STR 18 +3 Prime

DEX 16 +2

CON 17 +2 Prime

INT 14 +1

WIS 10 Prime

CHAR 13 +1

Languages: common, the cold tongue

HP 14/ 1

AC 16

Armour: Hide, small steel shield

BTH: 0

To Hit/Damage: +3/+3

Weapons: Battle Axe, broad sword, dagger

Equipment:

backpack
waterskin
bedroll
large belt pouch
small belt pouch
fishing gear
winter blanket
whetstone
8 torches
flint & steel
pot
2 large sacks

Magic Items:

Treasure:

267 gp 2 sp

X.P. 864
Attachments
Kos.jpg
Kos.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 581 times
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Apologies for last week. Game will resume next Sunday!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Look at the first post, house rules have been added!

Persimmon
Red Cap

Re: Sunday night World of Greyhawk™ C&C game

Post by Persimmon »

Hey gang--

Just joined up, but I have zero experience with Roll20. I logged into the game page and saw the chat from the last game, but where can I see all the PCs and character sheets? I have a couple ideas for a character class/race but I want to roll up someone who complements the existing party. And is there a brief summary of the campaign so far? Where is it located in Greyhawk, etc? I've got my old Greyhawk boxed set so I can use that to make up my background once I've got the basic info.

Thanks!
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

GruntledGames
Henchman

Post by GruntledGames »

I am in and no matter how many times this gets altered I am playing Nocnivitr - I know you are uprooting the game so I'll be forced to change my name damnit! U will not Win!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

GruntledGames wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:18 am
I am in and no matter how many times this gets altered I am playing Nocnivitr - I know you are uprooting the game so I'll be forced to change my name damnit! U will not Win!
:lol:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

The party needs a wizard.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Location is southern Ratik.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:09 pm
Hey gang--

Just joined up, but I have zero experience with Roll20. I logged into the game page and saw the chat from the last game, but where can I see all the PCs and character sheets? I have a couple ideas for a character class/race but I want to roll up someone who complements the existing party. And is there a brief summary of the campaign so far? Where is it located in Greyhawk, etc? I've got my old Greyhawk boxed set so I can use that to make up my background once I've got the basic info.

Thanks!
Don't worry about it, we'll get you up and running. The party is in southern Ratik, near the Bone March. The year is 576 CY so your copy of the boxed set is good but keep in mind I'm making the setting my own in some ways, as it was meant to be done. The party has begun exploring the legendary Dungeon of Graves, also known as Rappan Athuk among the dwurfolk. They are comprised of, so far, a barbarian, ranger, cleric, rogue, and possibly a marksman (see Netbook of Classes above).

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Cool; I was thinking of playing a spellcaster so it looks like that will fit. Now I just have to decide between the wizard or the illusionist. Or maybe a multi-classed demi-human. And it's spells only from PHB, right? None from the AB or Elemental Spells book? Will get my PC posted here in the next couple days.

GruntledGames
Henchman

Post by GruntledGames »

Please dear god in heaven DO NOT go Illusionist. We are playing an unforgiving Killer Dungeon

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I don't use the Adventurer's Backpack or Elemental Spells, only the PHB.

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Actually we've had multiple parties over the years with no standard magic-user but an illusionist and it worked out fine. Spells like paralysis and color spray can be super effective. Our most interesting party ever consisted of a paladin, barbarian, half-elf druid, fighter, and gnome illusionist/thief. And on multiple cases, the gnome saved their asses. But, no worries; I'll roll up a wizard tonight & get him posted here.

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Here we go:

Galmir Greymantle the Shadowmancer
Race: High Elf
Class: Wizard
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 135 lbs
Hair: Blond
Eyes: Green
Faith: Labelas Enoreth
Homeland: Gamboge Forest
Personality: Outgoing for an elf; has spent much time with other races

Align: Chaotic Good
Langs: Common, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Orc, Dwarf, Treant, Draconic, Ogre

Str: 12
Int: 18*
Wis: 16
Dex: 18*
Con: 13
Chr: 16
*Denotes prime; scores were adjusted for race

MV: 30'
AC: 13
HP: 5

Equipment: EV 12
Clothes, cloak, boots, etc.
Small Messenger Bag
Spell component pouches (8)
Summer Bedroll
Scroll case w/10 sheets paper
Inkwell & Quill
Sealing wax
Mage's Tome
5 Candles
5 Small vials, carefully wrapped
7 Days' Iron Rations
Wineskin with good Elven wine
50' String
3 daggers (1 on belt; 1 in each boot)
Quarterstaff (carried)
Pine Wand (Spell focus)
Wooden Holy Symbol
1 Vial Holy Water

Funds: 13 gp

Spells:
Dancing Lights
Light
Detect Magic
Mending
Magic Missile
Sleep
Read Magic

GruntledGames
Henchman

Post by GruntledGames »

Nocnivitr
Race: Human (Sof = Sulouise Orid and Flan stock)
Class: Cleric of Trithereon/Ranger
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 135 lbs
Skin tone: Pale
Hair: Wavy Dark brown with Auburn Highlights worn long and festooned with small animal bones and charms.
Eyes: Green flecked with amber
Faith: Trithereon
Homeland: Ratik
Personality: Acerbic, Witty, Vengeful,
Flaws:
Quirks:
Align: Chaotic Good
Langs: The Cold Tongue, Common (admixture of Ancient Balklunish and Old Oeridian)

Str: 14* +1
Int: 13 +1
Wis: 18* +3
Dex: 16* +2
Con: 18 +3
Chr: 09 +0
*Denotes prime;

MV: 30'
AC:
HP: 11

Equipment: EV

Funds: 13 gp

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Hey Gang--

I have to go out of town today and I'm not sure if I'll back back tonight for the game. If I'm not back, just presume that Galmir is back scrounging spell components or run him as an NPC.

Thanks!