Would buying Fantasy Grounds

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Would buying Fantasy Grounds

Post by Treebore »

be worth it to those of us who play online together? $10 (US) each? It looks like a permanent license to me, but I haven't read it in detail.

I think it would be, even though it looks like I would need to buy 3 or 4 for my family alone.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: Would buying Fantasy Grounds

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
be worth it to those of us who play online together? $10 (US) each? It looks like a permanent license to me, but I haven't read it in detail.

I think it would be, even though it looks like I would need to buy 3 or 4 for my family alone.

Fantasy Grounds is a very nice program. I have the DM version, but only really used it as a player.

It is streets above Open RPG in terms of functionality, importing maps etc.

As you said, if you get bundled licenses it is not that expensive (except for you, who has to buy 4! ), and we seem to have some semi-permanent groups going on here, so one does not need to worry about buying and only using 3 times before the group collapses.

Note, everyone who ever wanted to maybe DM some day would have to get the DM (more expensive) version. Treebore would only need one DM version, and the various residents can hot seat that computer.

We had numerous problems with crashes and players getting booted, but that was version 1. They are on version 2 now. It was an impressive program though. Just try the dice roller once. You can never go back to the OpenRPGs roller
Also, as I recall It was very D20-ish. So for C&C it is great (especially with the new ruleset). But to play Call of Cthulhu through it, or Gamma World, you would only really be using half of the program, unless you are an XML genius with time on your hands, and can make your own rulesets.

One thing to emphasise is: it would require you to make your router open, the same as maptools etc. It does not use the remote server that makes Open RPG so easy for us

If you want, have everyone download the demo (which is version 1 style, not version 2) and we can do a brief tour (if someone can set it up outside of a router)

The version I bought a) was a permanent license, no more cost and b) when after many delays they fully revamped it into version 2, we got that upgrade free. I was very satisfied with the purchase.

Homer Simpson

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

I am in

I would want to get a GM version of it as well

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

how does it stack up against battle grounds?

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Yep. Excellent. You guys spend all the money and time and then let me know if it's good!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah I had some questions to those of you who use this? Is it easy for CKs? How about players?

Like Rhu, I eagerly await those who give C&C a try this way. Let us know. Thx.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:
Yep. Excellent. You guys spend all the money and time and then let me know if it's good!!

What the short guy said.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Emryys
Red Cap

Post by Emryys »

I'm considering it even though I'm comfortable with GRiP, Screen Monkey and Maptool...
Reasons...

-C&C rule set

-Savage Worlds rule set

-Surge of the CDN dollar...
My only reservation is in regards to adding houserules, etc. I'm sure I could figure out the XML easy enough

heruca
Skobbit

Post by heruca »

Wulfgarn wrote:
how does it stack up against battle grounds?

Each program has it's own strengths and weaknesses.
This Feature Comparison Chart can help compare the two.