The Black Death as an encounter/situation for PC's

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

The Black Death as an encounter/situation for PC's

Post by Arduin »

After reading many first hand accounts from the first half of the 2nd millennium; From Japan to Africa to the British Isles. I came up with simple "encounter data" that is pretty accurate as to probability of catching, dying or, surviving this event.

When entering an infected inhabited area (or area where humans were alive up to 2 weeks prior) GM secretly rolls a Con save (CL0) for each PC.

Results:

A) Those who roll the minimum # to save get the disease for 3D4 days but survive.

B) Those who fail the save die in 2D4 days.

Cure disease or Heal completely handle an infected individual.

Symptoms
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Black Death as an encounter/situation for PC's

Post by Buttmonkey »

Pretty nasty, but I supposed the plague was pretty nasty. How does this specifically relate to the Wilderlands of High Adventure?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote: How does this specifically relate to the Wilderlands of High Adventure?
No idea. I created this in Open Discussion. Board glitch.

House Rules

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Freaky. Anyway, I like the mechanic.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote:Freaky. Anyway, I like the mechanic.
Thanks.

House Rules

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

I know this is an old thread but I like it. In fact I'm going to try to incorporate it into my game. My PC's have experiencd one of the party appearing to turn into a zombie. They may be a little more cautious this time. Thanks for sharing this idea.
Resistance is futile.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

A little necro here, but I just stumbled across this one. Sounds like a great story arc. I'm a big fan of late Roman/Early Byzantine history and the "Plague of Justinian" had a huge affect on the empire and opened the door for more barbarian conquests of their territory. I'm thinking of a something on a lesser scale, but with some "walking dead" elements incorporated.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Worse...the Bubonic Plague had a high chance to develop into Pneumonic Plague which had a 100% fatality rate and was an airborne contagion vs a parasitic borne contagion (fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, bedbugs, etc.)

Even if the person heals themselves or survives the initial infection, unless the contagion sources are dealt with, they risk re-infection within days if not hours depending on the surrounding parasite density.

On a side note: There's actually an anime playing this season where they are dealing with this very issue. Parallel World Pharmacy. Fantasy version of Europe centered on a France inspired setting.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Arduin wrote:
Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:26 pm
After reading many first hand accounts from the first half of the 2nd millennium; From Japan to Africa to the British Isles. I came up with simple "encounter data" that is pretty accurate as to probability of catching, dying or, surviving this event.

When entering an infected inhabited area (or area where humans were alive up to 2 weeks prior) GM secretly rolls a Con save (CL0) for each PC.

Results:

A) Those who roll the minimum # to save get the disease for 3D4 days but survive.

Symptoms
Emphasis mine.

Late to the party... but I like it. 8-)

Maybe those who fail the CON save by X or more revive in a certain amount of time as... zombies, of course. And maybe those rolling a Nat 1 on the CON save revive as ghouls whose bites and claws automatically infect those damaged by them even if the ghoul doesn't kill them. Just thinking out loud here... :lol:
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:31 am
Arduin wrote:

Results:

Symptoms
Emphasis mine.

Maybe those who fail the CON save by X or more revive in a certain amount of time as... zombies, of course. And maybe those rolling a Nat 1 on the CON save revive as ghouls whose bites and claws automatically infect those damaged by them even if the ghoul doesn't kill them. Just thinking out loud here... :lol:
NICE !!!!!

Maybe 'unless receive the needed cure disease or heal is cast on the corps before it is buried or burnt etc'. ..... Does the town priest have enough prayers to waste it on a dead victim while the living can use it , or do the risk a hungry plague vector clawing out the death pit in a day or 2 ???
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lurker wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:02 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:31 am
Arduin wrote:

Results:

Symptoms
Emphasis mine.

NICE !!!!!

Maybe 'unless receive the needed cure disease or heal is cast on the corps before it is buried or burnt etc'. ..... Does the town priest have enough prayers to waste it on a dead victim while the living can use it , or do the risk a hungry plague vector clawing out the death pit in a day or 2 ???
Emphasis mine.
Good thinking! I like to throw hard choices at players from time-to-time... ;)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander