Movement in C&C

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
marcuspeddle
Ulthal

Movement in C&C

Post by marcuspeddle »

Maps are done in 5 foot squares in 3rd and 4th editions of Dungeons and Dragons. If I remember correctly, they were done in 10 foot squares in earlier editions of D&D.

I am getting a little ahead of myself and I want to start designing an adventure before I order the Castles and Crusades books (I live in Korea so it will take a while). Could someone tell me if I should design my adventure using 10 foot squares or 5 foot squares? Thank you.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Even though Castles & Crusades doesn't really use the movement rules as presented in 3E or 4E, I;ve found using 5-foot squares on a battlemat works just as well.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

marcuspeddle
Ulthal

Post by marcuspeddle »

How are official Castles and Crusades adventures mapped? 10 foot squares?

When I played early editions of D&D I don't remember ever using battle maps but perhaps I just have a bad memory. I think everyone just said, "I attack the wounded orc" and we never really worried about where anyone was. Unless the orc was running for his life down the hallway or something.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

marcuspeddle wrote:
How are official Castles and Crusades adventures mapped? 10 foot squares?

Depends. Sometimes its 10, sometimes its 5, sometimes its more. It all boils down too how much map we need to get on a given sheet of paper, and the size of the paper.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

marcuspeddle
Ulthal

Post by marcuspeddle »

Thank you for the answer. I will try 10 foot squares at first and see how that goes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

In combat PC's can only move half their movement and attack. So that typically means 10 or 15 foot moves. 10 for halflings. gnomes, etc... 15 foot for humans, elves, and half orcs, etc...

So doing your stuff in 5 foot squares will probably work best. Otherwise your human sized PC's will be getting through only half a square a lot.

Now if you do it like I do, which is like 3E, and allow full moves of 20 and 30 feet, your 10 foot increments will likely work. Just realize that means they will only be able to move 2 or 3 squares, 4 or 6 on a charge.

So maybe play out a combat scenario with movement based on 5 foot squares, then on 10 foot squares, and see which you like better.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

I like hexes m'self.

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Treebore wrote:
In combat PC's can only move half their movement and attack. So that typically means 10 or 15 foot moves. 10 for halflings. gnomes, etc... 15 foot for humans, elves, and half orcs, etc...

Unless you use the encumbrance rules, in which case it's more complicated. And then there is the monk.

I find that 10-foot or 5-foot, it doesn't matter much in our case. We use tiles and figurines so figuring movement is easy whatever the way the place is mapped.

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

I almost never use minis except when relative position is absolutely necessary so my hexes are usually only relavent to overland movement where they are a mile to 30 miles across.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Movement in C&C

Post by Captain_K »

I would think that most depends on your figures (mini) what scale are they? I think the average mini is scaled to roughly 1" = 5'. I use an old chalk board (I hate dry erase boards for this task) and in the past I square gridded it in 1" squares but that made diagonal moves a hassle. Others suggested popsicle sticks cut to length, bar coded or color coded for classic half moves of typical races, full moves and charges... most folks move in more or less straight lines.. Also important for ranges of key weapons, each PC has their own stack of sticks they need.... just like their dice...

Anyway, 5 feet of board = 1"

Capt
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Movement in C&C

Post by alcyone »

The threadnomancer strikes!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com