Glimmertoad

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
ArgoForg
Red Cap

Glimmertoad

Post by ArgoForg »

Another one from my own setting, World of Phantasie...
Glimmertoads are generally harmless, but their light show can hypnotize predators and even careless adventurers.
Glimmertoads are generally harmless, but their light show can hypnotize predators and even careless adventurers.
Glimmertoad.jpg (106.07 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
GLIMMERTOAD

No. Encountered: 1-4 (solo) or 6-36 (in nesting areas)
Size: Small
HD: 1-1 (4 hp)
Move: 20
AC: 12
Attacks: See Below
Special: Hypnotic Lights
Saves: P
Int: Animal
Alignment: Neutral
Type: Magical Beast
Treasure: Nil
XP: 5 + 1

The Glimmertoad is a small amphibian-- usually between six and ten inches from end to end-- found along creeks, rivers and in swamps, especially in warm climates. Although Glimmertoads may be green, brown or black, their main identifying marks are the yellowish to white sacs that appear at various points on their back. These nodes often glow with a very faint light.

The nodes are in fact filled with a phosphor-like chemical, which is the Glimmertoad's sole means of defense from becoming prey. Three times per day, it can cause these nodes to exude a colorful, glimmering light show that can daze and hypnotize those who see it and leave them unable to act for a time. Glimmertoads use this ability mostly to effect escapes from larger prey, but it also plays into their mating cycle, as Glimmertoads use the lights in a manner not unlike fireflies to find mates.

Some creatures, notably giant alligators, have begun to evolve immunities to the Glimmertoads' lightshows, and sometimes act symbiotically with them, following Glimmertoad light shows in the hopes of finding larger prey. Therefore it is not unknown for some of the Glimmertoads' predators, stunned in such a manner, to have themselves become prey to other hungry creatures in the area.

Glimmertoad sacs are sometimes sought by mages and alchemists as spell components.

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Hypnotic Lights - A character who sees the lightshow of a Glimmertoad must make a Wisdom save to avoid the hypnotic effects or become become enthralled, able to take no actions other than to pay attention to the effect, even being dazed for some time after the effect has disappeared.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Glimmertoad

Post by Omote »

Pretty cool sir. I did think that there was going to be a picture of the HYPNOTOAD in this post to be perfectly honest. ;)

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Nice one, AF.

Omote- Hypnotoad is pure win. You remembah dat.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

I really like it Argo. Lots of great flavor. I am totally borrowing this for my campaign. I can totally envision a point where the road passes close to a stream/swamp where an encounter could occur. Thanks!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Akeisha Roberts
Henchman

Post by Akeisha Roberts »

Definitely going to be making use of this one! :D

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Love this!