Guardian Stone - Not gonna walk all over this defender

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Guardian Stone - Not gonna walk all over this defender

Post by Go0gleplex »

deleted
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Guardian Stone - Not gonna walk all over this defender

Post by Buttmonkey »

I like it, but you should tweak the intelligence rating. Average seems too high for a creature that cannot handle commands that are too complex. I think animal intelligence fits better. While the small unit tactics bit might suggest a higher intelligence, it could easily fall under the pack hunting skills of predator animals.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Depends on your definition of complex. Complex for me is expecting it to deal with orders like a Navy Seal might. It can handle and create small unit tactics such as your standard National Guardsman and adapt to enemy action.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

My take on this. Analyze to your heart's content.

Guardian Stone
No. Appearing: 1 or 1-6
Size: S (2’-4’ square)
HD: 5d10
MV: 20’
AC: 18
Attack: Bite (2d4)
Special: Camouflage, Howl, Immunity (Poison), Resistance (Magic), Tremor Sense
Saves: P
Int: Low
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: Construct
Treasure: Nil
XP: 320+5

The Guardian Stone appears as a simple stepping stone or part of the flagstone floor, usually within the stronghold of a wizard or other spell caster capable of creating them. The body is about twelve inches thick and resembles nothing more than a block of stone with legs. This construct can obey most commands as long as they are not too complex and if in a group, are capable of performing small unit tactics to deal with multiple intruders.

Guardian Stones are not interested in treasure and any valuables from slain intruders are generally collected by the masters of the place they guard. Since these constructs do not age and will continue to guard their master’s domicile until destroyed treasure may accumulate in the area around them should their master and any descendants die out or abandon the stronghold they protect. Guardian Stones will not communicate with anyone but their master and will not break from their assigned duties for any reason.

COMBAT: When intruders come within attack range, the Guardian Stone will lunge out of the ground or floor on four dog-like legs. It attacks by attempting to bite its victim with its large mouth filled with sharp fangs.

CAMOUFLAGE: Guardian Stones are able to blend in with their surroundings by lying flat and motionless. When concealing themselves, they have a +2 bonus to hide checks, and a +4 bonus to surprise rolls. They gain a similar bonus on any move silently checks.

HOWL: The Guardian Stone is capable of letting loose with a resounding howl that is clearly audible for up to a quarter mile away. It uses this to alert its master and any guards to the presence of intruders after it has made its first attack. Those within 30 feet of the Guardian Stone when it uses this ability must make a charisma save or be deafened and disoriented for 1d3 rounds due to disrupted eardrums.

IMMUNITY (POISON): The Guardian Stone's construction renders it immune to poisons of all kinds.

RESISTANCE (MAGIC): Guardian Stones are not affected by sleep, charm, illusions or death magic. Transmute mud and rock deals 1d6 damage to the creature per level of the caster. An earthquake spell instantly slays the creature.

TREMOR SENSE: The Guardian Stone is very sensitive to any movement. When they are laying still they can detect normal motion up to 60 feet away.

NOTES:
Type I: Camouflage, Howl, Tremor Sense
Type II: Immunity (poison), Resistance (Magic)
Type III: none

The mimic ability is more like a charon fiend's camouflage ability, so the camouflage ability of the charon fiend was ported over. The mention of dwarves receiving their +2 bonus was removed. They still receive that bonus, as per the dwarf description.

The Guardian Stone's immunities and vulnerabilities to magic were rolled into a single Resistance entry.

The creatures intelligence was downrated one step, to Low. Average is applicable to creatures like the aforementioned charon fiend, who attempt to avoid fights if outnumbered and unable to make an clean kill. The Guardian Stone, while having a grasp of tactics, appears to function on instinct in attacking; more like a pack of wolves if anything. Add to that the fact it cannot handle complex commands, which any average intelligence being should be able to do, and you can see why I downrated the intelligence.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Works for me Trav. I popped it out when half asleep, bored off my rocker, and at work away from all my books. Your version may actually be more coherent. (chuckle)