Magic Dragons

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Magic Dragons

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

If there is anything in C&C I am not satisfied with that is dragons. I admit D&D 3.5 is to blame. There older dragons are quite the spellcasters. The C&C dragon cannot compare. So how would you make more magical dragons. I was thinking of using the Powers system from the Book of Powers for Amazing Adventures.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Magic Dragons

Post by Go0gleplex »

The easiest and fastest way would be to simply grant the Dragon in question the ability to cast spells as a "casting class" of equal level to their HD; or if that is too much, 1/2 of their HD; and restrict them from using spells opposing their primary element. (ie. A Red (fire) can't use ice/water spells.) Otherwise, simply adapt things over and flavor as needed/desired.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The low tech approach is to simply give the dragon whatever spells/magical powers you think it should have. You're in charge, not the text of M&T. It is unnecessary to rely on mechanical systems from AA. Just do what you want directly.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Buttmonkey wrote:The low tech approach is to simply give the dragon whatever spells/magical powers you think it should have. You're in charge, not the text of M&T. It is unnecessary to rely on mechanical systems from AA. Just do what you want directly.
Rgr that. If you want a dragon to fling spells around, do so no issues at all.

Heck I remember a troll witch I had as a monster back in the day. Explained it by having her been trained by some hags (oh yeah, my trolls tend to be more Tolkienish than the standard AD&D tall skinny dumb critters). Great fun seeing the party wade through the goblin cannon fodder she had, and start pummeling the male troll there with her, then out of no where comes a summon swarm on the party's mage (disturbing his spell that round), then an entangle tangling up the groups thief ... fun times

So, any monster in your game you want to have spells, you can without any issue at all.

I would say it is like cooking though. A little pepper here and there makes a good stew, to much of it ruins the pot. So, give magic to the monsters as needed, but don't have every critter in every encounter be a spell slinger or it will get old and lose its effect.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

Great, so I guess for calculating XP value I need to add the value for level of spells in categories I - 1-3d level, II - 4-7 lvl, III - 8-9 lvl.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Dorf the Dwarf wrote:Great, so I guess for calculating XP value I need to add the value for level of spells in categories I - 1-3d level, II - 4-7 lvl, III - 8-9 lvl.
Hmmm...I've always just used the highest value for spells used. So if it can use 8th level spells add a single cat. III xp value. Though I admit it could be correct to add one of each category rather than just the highest. Serl or one of the Trolls probably need to weigh in on this one.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Dorf has it right. Creatures with spellcasting ability get the special for each "breakpoint" in spell levels. Thus a spellcasting dragon able to cast 9th level spells would receive a Type I, Type II, and Type III special.

As to not being satisfied with dragons, my solution wasn't to beef up their spellcasting capability as I didn't feel spellcasting was an issue. Instead, I boosted their hit dice to d20.