View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Amazing Adventures & Magic 
Lore Drake

Post Amazing Adventures & Magic
Grey Elf,

Was wondering what the design process was behind Spell Burn. Psychic burn makes sense as it represents the risk the Mentalist takes when attempting to use an ability more powerful than their current expertise in psionics. But spell burn is a chance with every spell an arcanist attempts to cast, not only could the spell fail to go off, but the caster takes damage. The 6th level arcanist in the book's example is casting a lvl 3 spell so has a CC of 18. But even with +6 for caster level, +5 for prime, and +3 for ability score, that is still a 15% chance of failing to cast the spell AND taking subdual damage as a result.

For those players used to C&C magic, where a caster has no chance of failure unless interferred with, this seems rather harsh. Could you explain the reasoning behind this, and maybe smooth a few ruffled feathers?

Thanks.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:28 am
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Amazing Adventures & Magic
I'm not Jason, but my best guess is this design was to better fit the tone of pulp fiction and Appendix N type fantasy or fantasy/pulp where magic is dangerous to use.
These aren't fire and forget artillery weapons, they are Forces Man Was Not Meant to Exploit. And those who do, do so at their own risk.
Something like that.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:06 pm
Red Cap

I agree with Relaxo on this one. One idea that could help too depending on your setting is foci. Items of power that could give bonuses to a "type" or individual spell. While these should never totally remove the danger of spell casting it could make it a little more reliable. Again it depends on your setting and if Foci fit into it or not.

Gritty6 (epic6)

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:20 pm
Grey Elf Troll

Yep, Relaxo and Ronin have it. If you don't like spell burn, feel free not to use it--it shouldn't hurt much. But the VASTLY increased flexibility spellcasters in AA have needed to be offset, and on average you shouldn't fail to cast a spell very often. I'd argue that only 15% chance of taking damage is pretty damn good odds (using the same example as you).

When you do, however, it's dangerous. You're channeling arcane energies from the wild spaces between spaces through your very body to wrest control over the laws of physics--that energy can burn you.

Hell, if I was using the Sanity rules in my game, I might actually attach a Sanity check to many spells on top of the chance for burn. Magic should be scary, mysterious, and dangerous in a pulp game. It's not a spellslinger thing like in C&C.

Amazing Adventures on Facebook | Amazing Adventures on Twitter

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:58 am
Greater Lore Drake

yeah, adding sanity risk as well makes it very pulp, IMO.
It's why the real world isn't teeming with Magic users (that you know of). recall these pulps stories are nominally in our real world.

sort of.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Red Cap

Or if your a big fan of the Dresden-verse its dangerous and fatiguing. Fatiguing if it works or not.

Gritty6 (epic6)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 pm
Lore Drake

Thanks all, that gives me a better idea of what's what with Pulp magic. Trouble is none of the pulp stuff I've read had any magic. 'Cept perhaps some Lovecraft(?). And I've never played any other pulp RPGs.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 am
Grey Elf Troll

Also keep in mind that "pulp" as used in Amazing Adventures isn't just relegated to a certain subgenre of stories published in the 20's and 30's in cheap magazines. The term has grown widely in popular use, and now includes the Saturday Morning Serials-style film tales of the 50's, radio serials of the 40's, even through things like Indiana Jones and some comics. The Dresden Files, in many ways, would qualify as a modern take on pulp. But even many of the stories published in the pulp magazines of the era included elements of the supernatural, and even THOSE magazines showed a wide variety of story types. Remember, Conan was pulp as well as the Cthulhu Mythos.

Amazing Adventures on Facebook | Amazing Adventures on Twitter

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]