Disney's Gargoyles?

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
serleran
Mogrl

Disney's Gargoyles?

Post by serleran »

Has anyone considered a setting / write-up for the cartoon of the same name, using AA rules? I'm thinking it could be quite fun... sort of modern, but also possible to span a variety of centuries, with magic and tech interwoven.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: Disney's Gargoyles?

Post by finarvyn »

I haven't watched that series for a long time, but I (and my kids) have some really happy memories of the show. I hadn't made the connection, but I think that this could be an awesome AA campaign!

I think that I'd go back to prewritten RPG gargoyles as a starting point. For stats, one could dip into PF or 3E. For example, my PF Bestiary gives the following stats for gargoyles: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7. I assume that you'd want to adjust the Int and Cha numbers for the campaign, as in the Gargoyles show they clearly are more articulate than "average" C&C gargoyles.

Maybe adjust more like this: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10.

And, of course, this would represent a "typical" gargoyle from the campaign. Individual characters would have variants of the above.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

That would be badass. I'd love to see someone do something like that and share it here. Alas, I don't have enough in-depth knowledge of the show, nor the time, to cover it myself.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have the knowledge, but not the time.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Do you know offhand if the Gargoyles series ever made it to DVD? My kids owned a bunch of the old VHS tapes years ago and those were purged from my household ages ago. Now I'm inspired to watch again....

I guess I could just do a Google search. ;)
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:Do you know offhand if the Gargoyles series ever made it to DVD? My kids owned a bunch of the old VHS tapes years ago and those were purged from my household ages ago. Now I'm inspired to watch again....

Okay, so I answered my own question. Amazon has three $10 sets for Gargoyles -- Season 1, Season 2a, and Season 2b -- so I guess I can own the whole thing for around $30. I haven't checked to see if that is all that was made...
Marv / Finarvyn

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

finarvyn wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Do you know offhand if the Gargoyles series ever made it to DVD? My kids owned a bunch of the old VHS tapes years ago and those were purged from my household ages ago. Now I'm inspired to watch again....

Okay, so I answered my own question. Amazon has three $10 sets for Gargoyles -- Season 1, Season 2a, and Season 2b -- so I guess I can own the whole thing for around $30. I haven't checked to see if that is all that was made...
Its not the whole thing. It's the first two seasons but they did not, that I know of, release the Goliath Chronicles (third season) on DVD.

In fact, season 2a and 2b are lucky to exist seeing as Disney had allowed the 1st season out, and watched its sales.... and disapproved of the numbers so canceled further releases. These are "new" releases so I'd say, if you liked the show, snap them up. I did.