Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Amazing Adventures is Pulp Role Playing: Hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle . . . .
Post Reply
User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3963
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Lurker »

can't remember where I saw it yesterday, but I saw something for AA Star Siege.

Is it a complete rework of SS to bring it into AA, or is it just reskinning the old rules into AA ?

What is the scoop on it. How big of a change will it be, how easy will it be to port AA (powers etc) into SS or will it be to different of a rule base for it

Similarly, how cross compatible with Victorious will it be (I'd done a bit of work and put some thought into adapting Victorious into a Star Wars setting)

I did like the idea behind the old SS rules but I could never wrap my little linear thinking mind around the tool box concept for powers equipment and the like
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Rigon »

I saw that in an email the other day. I went to look to see if I could find any information, but apparently it is an up-coming product. I would image it is a companion piece to AA so will not be much like SSEH. If that is the case, then it would be as compatible with V as AA is.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Go0gleplex »

From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Rigon »

Go0gleplex wrote:From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.
Yeah, that's what I figured after re-reading the email.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
finarvyn
Global Moderator
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by finarvyn »

A link on FaceBook allows you to download a "quickstart" version of this. I haven't taken the time to look at it yet, but I'm excited by the prospect of some StarSiege. 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3963
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Lurker »

finarvyn wrote:A link on FaceBook allows you to download a "quickstart" version of this. I haven't taken the time to look at it yet, but I'm excited by the prospect of some StarSiege. 8-)
I haven't seen that, but I don't go to face book that often.

Where is the link, I didn't see it on the AA page, but I may be looking in the wrong place
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Rigon »

It's up on the TLG store. I got it and gave it quick look over. I'll read it in more depth later.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

cheeplives
Red Cap
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Behind my eyes
Contact:

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by cheeplives »

Go0gleplex wrote:From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.
I have to disagree... StarSIEGE was the only TLG product that only used the SIEGE Engine. It didn't have any separate subsystems for combat, magic, or the like... it was meant to be a fully SIEGE Engine game.

I do wish the new incarnation more luck than the prior had, though...
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

User avatar
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Go0gleplex »

cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.
I have to disagree... StarSIEGE was the only TLG product that only used the SIEGE Engine. It didn't have any separate subsystems for combat, magic, or the like... it was meant to be a fully SIEGE Engine game.

I do wish the new incarnation more luck than the prior had, though...
Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

User avatar
soloplayer
Mist Elf
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by soloplayer »

Looking forward to the release.

cheeplives
Red Cap
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Behind my eyes
Contact:

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by cheeplives »

Go0gleplex wrote: Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.
I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

User avatar
dachda
Lore Drake
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Topsham, Maine

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by dachda »

cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote: Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.
I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.
I never had a chance to run it, but I thought your system was well done. I bought the box set, and agree a book would have sold better. But I do think that at the time it came out, its prime market was current C&C players. Once they realized SSEH wasn't a mix-n-match with C&C, like AA is, it lost its allure. I do think if the Trolls had had the ability or desire to market it to Sci-Fi RPGers, and not their current C&C player base, it could have done very well.

User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3963
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Post by Lurker »

dachda wrote:
cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote: Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.
I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.
I never had a chance to run it, but I thought your system was well done. I bought the box set, and agree a book would have sold better. But I do think that at the time it came out, its prime market was current C&C players. Once they realized SSEH wasn't a mix-n-match with C&C, like AA is, it lost its allure. I do think if the Trolls had had the ability or desire to market it to Sci-Fi RPGers, and not their current C&C player base, it could have done very well.

Rgr that on what Dachda said


I got it back in the day. Liked the feel of the rules, but never was able to play or run it. The only problem I had was bending my mind around the equipment rules. I understand the tool box approach, and am sure I would have 'got it' after a bit of playing but without playing it first hand ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Post Reply