Troll Lord Games
https://www.trolllord.com/forums/

Amazing Adventures - Star Siege
https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17436
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Lurker [ Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am ]
Post subject:  Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

can't remember where I saw it yesterday, but I saw something for AA Star Siege.

Is it a complete rework of SS to bring it into AA, or is it just reskinning the old rules into AA ?

What is the scoop on it. How big of a change will it be, how easy will it be to port AA (powers etc) into SS or will it be to different of a rule base for it

Similarly, how cross compatible with Victorious will it be (I'd done a bit of work and put some thought into adapting Victorious into a Star Wars setting)

I did like the idea behind the old SS rules but I could never wrap my little linear thinking mind around the tool box concept for powers equipment and the like

Author:  Rigon [ Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

I saw that in an email the other day. I went to look to see if I could find any information, but apparently it is an up-coming product. I would image it is a companion piece to AA so will not be much like SSEH. If that is the case, then it would be as compatible with V as AA is.

R-

Author:  Go0gleplex [ Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.

Author:  Rigon [ Wed May 15, 2019 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Go0gleplex wrote:
From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.

Yeah, that's what I figured after re-reading the email.

R-

Author:  finarvyn [ Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

A link on FaceBook allows you to download a "quickstart" version of this. I haven't taken the time to look at it yet, but I'm excited by the prospect of some StarSiege. 8-)

Author:  Lurker [ Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

finarvyn wrote:
A link on FaceBook allows you to download a "quickstart" version of this. I haven't taken the time to look at it yet, but I'm excited by the prospect of some StarSiege. 8-)


I haven't seen that, but I don't go to face book that often.

Where is the link, I didn't see it on the AA page, but I may be looking in the wrong place

Author:  Rigon [ Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

It's up on the TLG store. I got it and gave it quick look over. I'll read it in more depth later.

R-

Author:  cheeplives [ Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Go0gleplex wrote:
From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.

I have to disagree... StarSIEGE was the only TLG product that only used the SIEGE Engine. It didn't have any separate subsystems for combat, magic, or the like... it was meant to be a fully SIEGE Engine game.

I do wish the new incarnation more luck than the prior had, though...

Author:  Go0gleplex [ Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:
From what I've been told/seen, it is a full on supplement to AA and re-written to fully (or at least greatly increase) use the SIEGE Engine rather than its former incarnation which apparently didn't. It hasn't been released as yet, though I think the Twitter contest give away is sort of the prelude to that though nothing has been mentioned by the Trolls to that effect.

I have to disagree... StarSIEGE was the only TLG product that only used the SIEGE Engine. It didn't have any separate subsystems for combat, magic, or the like... it was meant to be a fully SIEGE Engine game.

I do wish the new incarnation more luck than the prior had, though...


Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.

Author:  soloplayer [ Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Looking forward to the release.

Author:  cheeplives [ Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

Go0gleplex wrote:
Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.

I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.

Author:  dachda [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:
Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.

I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.


I never had a chance to run it, but I thought your system was well done. I bought the box set, and agree a book would have sold better. But I do think that at the time it came out, its prime market was current C&C players. Once they realized SSEH wasn't a mix-n-match with C&C, like AA is, it lost its allure. I do think if the Trolls had had the ability or desire to market it to Sci-Fi RPGers, and not their current C&C player base, it could have done very well.

Author:  Lurker [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Amazing Adventures - Star Siege

dachda wrote:
cheeplives wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:
Not having had it myself, it was what had been said by others that had and had played it. If that information was wrong, it's wrong. But it sounds more like it was simply a framework when stated in that manner.

I'm not sure what "simply a framework" means, but, I can state that the intent behind my writing StarSIEGE was to create a game that used only the SIEGE Engine alone. I dropped all of the additional 3rd Ed stuff (which is why it did not need any OGL notices included), like AC, Base to Hit, etc. This was likely a misstep, since it made the game less compatible with C&C, but I never saw a need to have a sci-fi game that was compatible with a fantasy game.

So the game used Prime/Non-prime for all rolls. If you had Combat as a Prime skill, your base to hit before factoring your opponent's defense was 12... if not, you were going after 18 plus defense. Want to use your psionic powers? If Channeling was Prime, your base was 12, or 18 if not prime... All checks were skill checks that used the same mechanic. The new version will use AA, so it will bring it more in line with the existing TLG product line, using Classes, base to hit, and other 3e type stuff while relegating the "SIEGE Engine" to skills and saves. Likely a better move from a marketing perspective... I wish it well. I just wish SSEH could have had a real book release rather than the boxed-set approach. I think with some tweaking and a more cohesive format it would have done better.


I never had a chance to run it, but I thought your system was well done. I bought the box set, and agree a book would have sold better. But I do think that at the time it came out, its prime market was current C&C players. Once they realized SSEH wasn't a mix-n-match with C&C, like AA is, it lost its allure. I do think if the Trolls had had the ability or desire to market it to Sci-Fi RPGers, and not their current C&C player base, it could have done very well.



Rgr that on what Dachda said


I got it back in the day. Liked the feel of the rules, but never was able to play or run it. The only problem I had was bending my mind around the equipment rules. I understand the tool box approach, and am sure I would have 'got it' after a bit of playing but without playing it first hand ...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/