Soldier d8 HD ?

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Soldier d8 HD ?

Post by Lurker »

Ok the Grim Gothic game is getting closer to starting and I've been digging into the different classes

A will admit that when I first glanced at the soldier class, I wasn't sold on it. However, after reading it and thinking about it I got to actually like the idea of it.

However, as I've read and reread everything putting together some NPCs and thought through character progression, I do have a question on the soldier class/

Why a d8 hd for them ?

To me they are a fighter sub type, so should get the standard d10 HD. However, if there is a reason it is a d8, I'd like to know so I can better understand the idea that make the class.

I know I can always house rule it to a d10, but before that, I'd like to know why btb it is a d8 .
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Soldier d8 HD ?

Post by Lurker »

crickets chirping ...

So no one can say why the soldier's hd id d8.

So without good justification for what I think would be a sub class of a fighter having a reduced hd, I'll house rule it to be a d10
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:crickets chirping ...

So no one can say why the soldier's hd id d8.

So without good justification for what I think would be a sub class of a fighter having a reduced hd, I'll house rule it to be a d10
I'll hit Jason up on Facebook and see what he says. Which I meant to do when you first posted this, but I forgot.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

From Jason Vey: via Facebook:

I'm sure I've answered this question for him before, somewhere. But in the end, the soldier is a skill- and training-based class. It's NOT a fighter sub-class but was built from the ground up. Not every soldier is a special forces warrior designed to go in and suck up damage.

In fact, modern soldiers fight from a distance, rather than close-up, and are generally trained to fire from behind cover.

Soldiers represent a wide range of skills sets and abilities; this is an amalgam of them. Some are technicians. Some are tacticians. Some are communications experts.

Assuming that every soldier is the rough-and-tumble spec forces warrior built to suck up damage is an error. If anything, a solider should be trying to AVOID taking damage. But if that's not acceptable to him, he can raise the hit die. But he should be prepared to potentially unbalance his game. Raising the hit die to d10 would require changing the XP progression starting from level 1.
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rgr

Tell him thanks for answering it

I honestly do not remember asking that before, but I could have an don't remember it. If I did tell him sorry, but in my defense I've slept since the first time I asked him, and I did jump out of planes for a living so some time the ole brian doesn't fire on all cylinders in the memory department.

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

I did a write up of a soldier.

Rizgard The Ravager
Skobbit

Post by Rizgard The Ravager »

The only real problem I really see is the bayonet training. This would be great for a pulp era or earlier type of game, but it is kind of dated as no Soldier today uses a bayonet.

Rizgard The Ravager
Skobbit

Post by Rizgard The Ravager »

Alright, I stand corrected, turns out they did it up to 2010.