Classes for a “Victorious Grim” game

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Classes for a “Victorious Grim” game

Post by Lurker »

As I mentioned in the GM forum last week, for some reason I've been thinking about a Victorian horror game. I was pointed to a few other games (Cthulhu by gaslight & Ravenloft's Masque of the Red Death among others) But also was reminded of your upcoming game.

I found some of the Ravenloft stuff for sale fairly cheap as PDFs and got some and dug around on my hard drive and found I had “Imperial Age” as a setting for modern d20. After skimming through Ravenloft's 2e kits and the IA Advanced classes I think I have a broad idea of classes that would be usable in a grim setting. However, what classes/templates would you have or suggest

Oh to clarify, for my version of grim I'd lean more toward Poe than Lovecraft, so the heroes do have a fighting chance and may not eventually go bat raving mad. So I tended to
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Classes for a “Victorious Grim” game

Post by DMMike »

Lurker wrote:As I mentioned in the GM forum last week, for some reason I've been thinking about a Victorian horror game. I was pointed to a few other games (Cthulhu by gaslight & Ravenloft's Masque of the Red Death among others) But also was reminded of your upcoming game.

I found some of the Ravenloft stuff for sale fairly cheap as PDFs and got some and dug around on my hard drive and found I had “Imperial Age” as a setting for modern d20. After skimming through Ravenloft's 2e kits and the IA Advanced classes I think I have a broad idea of classes that would be usable in a grim setting. However, what classes/templates would you have or suggest

Oh to clarify, for my version of grim I'd lean more toward Poe than Lovecraft, so the heroes do have a fighting chance and may not eventually go bat raving mad. So I tended to
Eh? The msg seems to end rather abruptly?

Anyway here is the current class list for Victorious:

*Contraptionist
*Hypnotist
*Inquiry Agent
*Magician
*Paragon
*Radiant
*Strongarm
*Vigilante

I suppose a "Monster Hunter" would be a good fit for such a Grim campaign. If you use the concept of divine power a cleric type would work as well. Alas, I'm not as up on Masque as I might be; I've got the box set but haven't sat down to read it. What classes of MRD are you looking to import?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sorry about cutting off the end of the last sentence, I'd copied and pasted from word and didn't pay enough attention to it.

I was ending with a point that my flavor of horror (back when I ran Beyond supernatural) was a fouch less deadly than Cthulhu and the players have a fighting chance of living.

Thanks for the list of classes
At first thought 'contraptionist' would not fit, but then I thought about some of the Imperial Age gentleman scientist/mad scientist classes I'd use so I guess it does.

Everything else would be easy to see.

From MRD kits,

All the soldier kits (soldier, carvery man, scout etc etc)
For the 'tradesman' kits, for some reason I really like the dandy … of course detective is a must (even outside a grim setting)& scholar. Maybe doctor (You do have to have Watson to go with Holmes), but I don't know about the others.

The Adapt & mystic kits would fit especially in a grim setting. Some of them are very close to you classes (I assume) and others, may need some fiddling

With grim of course I'd add a 'monster hunter.

I do like the idea of a cleric / divine 'good' power. It may not fit the standard setting, but I do feel that if you are going to be in a world of that evil, there will be similar good. The question is will the players be worthy of it ….

Of course I have no idea on how hard it will be to morph them into your game or which of your classes will fit the above classes.

I guess to see, my wife will have to get mad at you when I buy it once TLG gets it out :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

LOL Apologies in advance for any wifey anger. ;)

The Magician would probably cover the Adept bit, if I've got the MRD stuff understood. You can "tweak" each of these classes to make each one slightly different so the character is a bit more unique. As such, you can add and subtract certain abilities and shortcomings to get the class where you want for your particular milieu.

One thing this thread has done...It got me talking to my wife about whether or not I should add a Burglar class to V before it comes out. Some sort of generic criminal type, be it a Street Arab, Second-Story Man, Bludger, or even a Cracksman.

Opinions anyone?

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:LOL Apologies in advance for any wifey anger. ;)

The Magician would probably cover the Adept bit, if I've got the MRD stuff understood. You can "tweak" each of these classes to make each one slightly different so the character is a bit more unique. As such, you can add and subtract certain abilities and shortcomings to get the class where you want for your particular milieu.

One thing this thread has done...It got me talking to my wife about whether or not I should add a Burglar class to V before it comes out. Some sort of generic criminal type, be it a Street Arab, Second-Story Man, Bludger, or even a Cracksman.

Opinions anyone?

Mike
Oh I'll make sure she knows you apologized profusely for putting out a book that I just couldn't resist !

As for tweaking the classes in MRD, I never played it but as they are kits that is what I assume too. It is what I'd do if I ran it anyway.

Glad I got your creative juices flowing! I'd argue for one of some type. Knot knowing the specifics of the other classes (and their strengths weaknesses) I'm not sure what specific type of Rogue I advocate for, but surely that needs to be one in some form or fashion. Even in a hero / steam punk setting, but especially in a grim setting.

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Yeah, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion myself. I'll have to ask Steve where any of the work on the MS is so I know if I can slip the class in. Or if he's already done that part in which case I'll just make it a free pdf DL on the web. ;)

Mike