View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
[Q&A] Victorious rulebook (Digital) 
Unkbartig

Post [Q&A] Victorious rulebook (Digital)
Greetings,

As the no-art digital version of the rulebook went to backers just before Xmas I thought it would help to have a Q&A post. This way anyone who noted something odd in the rules can ask about it here.

I invite your correspondence...

GM Michael

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:09 am
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: [Q&A] Victorious rulebook (Digital)
I saw the no art book (was I supposed to get that at the $10 pledge?).

Character creation is a bit weird. The initial checklist of things to do does not include choosing a class, nor mention classes. Class levels are mentioned before classes. When you do meet up with classes, it's not clear what the list of skills, powers, and shortcomings are for. It sort of suggests that they are a baseline and you might not be able to buy all of them, but I don't know if they are things to attain to over the character's career, or if you are supposed to saddle yourself with shortcomings until you can take them all, or if you can just not take any of them and even take the ones for a totally different class.

Some of the suggested skills are at rank 2, which it's not entirely clear how to attain. Reading ahead we find out about power slots and that you can buy two skills for one power slot, but I couldn't find what it costs to increase a rank (I am assuming the same price as an initial skill).

Presenting concepts in the order they are needed, before they are needed is something I really value in a game, especially the first time I pick it up.

I like what I see, but I am stumbling over it.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:16 am
Unkbartig

Hey Aergraith!

Aergraith wrote:
Character creation is a bit weird. The initial checklist of things to do does not include choosing a class, nor mention classes. Class levels are mentioned before classes. When you do meet up with classes, it's not clear what the list of skills, powers, and shortcomings are for. It sort of suggests that they are a baseline and you might not be able to buy all of them, but I don't know if they are things to attain to over the character's career, or if you are supposed to saddle yourself with shortcomings until you can take them all, or if you can just not take any of them and even take the ones for a totally different class.

***Classes in Victorious are set up as suggested packages to meet a certain iconic type character. Thus the "Strongarm" offers suggested powers and shortcomings to meet that ideal character concept; much like the C&C paladin has bennies and limits to fit the holy knight ideal. The player is free to add more, cut some, and otherwise mix and match if they wish to fit their individual character concept. Its a baseline to start from, and is useful to get playing quickly with a preset class.***

Some of the suggested skills are at rank 2, which it's not entirely clear how to attain. Reading ahead we find out about power slots and that you can buy two skills for one power slot, but I couldn't find what it costs to increase a rank (I am assuming the same price as an initial skill).

***You are correct. For each skill rank (or power for that matter) it increases +s for using that skill or grants additional powerful capacity to a given supernatural power for increased ranks. The only power that has additional requirements is Lightning Speed, and you not only have to pay for more ranks to increase its power but depending on the rank you want there is a minimum Dexterity required to have that rank.

The thing to remember about ranks is 1-2-3. 1 Power rank equals 2 Skill ranks equals 3 Victory Points.***

Presenting concepts in the order they are needed, before they are needed is something I really value in a game, especially the first time I pick it up.

***Thanks for the input, and we'll certainly look it over. The thing to remember is that the "hero" class is the default class. That's why the more powers you buy, the higher your experience total becomes to attain the next skill level in the class.***

I like what I see, but I am stumbling over it.

Everyone, keep the questions coming!

Mike

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Hullo! I say old chap, the book is a bloomin (ye see, I didn't say "bloody" tha'd be a breech of Victorian etiquette, methinks) success, wot!

Was reading the Stalking the Night and Its Vermin sections.

Great encounters, but if I may make a suggestion (as I've developed a train encounter for my upcoming game), how about a train encounters event table?

Thinking of Fleming's From Russia with Love, on the Orient Express and Christie's Murder on the Orient Express among other sources would probably give you some ideas.

Hmm, might have to re-read the novels and/or watch the movies again.

The game is afoot!

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:41 am
Unkbartig

A simply splendid idea, good sir!

Of course, train encounters would have to be based on class (LOL) as one wouldn't encounter the 'wrong' sort of people in a first class compartment or the dining car. No, that would be in <shudder> coach!

Michael, a truly Genteel Magistrate

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:18 am
Cleric of Zagyg

DMMike wrote:
A simply splendid idea, good sir!

Of course, train encounters would have to be based on class (LOL) as one wouldn't encounter the 'wrong' sort of people in a first class compartment or the dining car. No, that would be in <shudder> coach!

Michael, a truly Genteel Magistrate

Indeed!

The murder/mayhem/bombing/poison etc. would be much more refined and subtle in first class than the bloody brutality that might occur in coach! :P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 am
Unkbartig

No indeed sir! Why, the very idea that we in the comfortable first class compartments could be assaulted by such rampant hooliganism is outrageous sir, Outrageous!

<slight hissing of a fuse in the background>

Now, if you will excuse me I will retire to my compartment for a nap...What IS that infernal hissing sound?

:D
Michael, about to get a much longer nap than he'd planned...!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:08 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Hmm, methinks TLG needs to add a monocled smilie!

Another hmmm, I used to have a smilie extension and/or add on when I used Firefox that has all sorts of great smilies which you could use on most forums, IIRC.

I now use Chrome, so I will check on that.

Rhu . . . a budding Genteel Magistrate! ;) :arrow: monocle falls off when he winks.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 pm
Unkbartig

Rhuvein wrote:

Another hmmm, I used to have a smilie extension and/or add on when I used Firefox that has all sorts of great smilies which you could use on most forums, IIRC.

Rhu . . . a budding Genteel Magistrate! ;) :arrow: monocle falls off when he winks.

I look forward to your efforts of invention sir!

Michael, the ever-winking Genteel Magistrate; you just can't see it!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:58 am
Cleric of Zagyg

DMMike wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

I look forward to your efforts of invention sir!

Michael, the ever-winking Genteel Magistrate; you just can't see it!

LOL!

I gave up on the extensions, they mostly seemed to be ad or mal ware.

But I did see this:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Looking at the equipment sections . . .

like it.

But, I think it would be cool to "beef" it up somewhat. Meaning :arrow: add more stuff. To me, this gives more fluff, even if players don't buy it, many items generate game/scenario ideas.

The travel sections should be re-worked. Having a city guidebook and a Cadillac automobile in the same table is odd . . . unless it was a game effort to show price scaling or some such. Anyway, this section expanded would be very excellent in my opinion!

Thanks for listening, friend Michael!

:D

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:48 am
Unkbartig

Not at all sir! All input is appreciated!

Though I must confess some surprise at your opinion of the equipment table, for I'd been rather proud of the fact that (AFAIK) its the most comprehensive of any Victorian RPG. What more do you think should be added?

Regarding travel, the guide book is a necessary part of travel in a new city...especially if one is walking or using public transport. The automobile is there as it was available at the end of the period in question (1896-1901) and would certainly be available earlier in a Grand style Steampunk chronicle. Or am I misunderstanding your issue?

Michael, awaiting your replies!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:41 pm
Mogrl

Let me guess, knowing Rhu, you didn't put a Walrus on the Equipment list?

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:00 pm
Unkbartig

Dagnab it! I knew I was forgetting something! ;)

GM (Walrus-less) Michael

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Treebore wrote:
Let me guess, knowing Rhu, you didn't put a Walrus on the Equipment list?

Yes, that and . .

a Monocle . . . HELLOOOO! :D

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:53 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

DMMike wrote:
Though I must confess some surprise at your opinion of the equipment table, for I'd been rather proud of the fact that (AFAIK) its the most comprehensive of any Victorian RPG. What more do you think should be added?

Michael, awaiting your replies!

In a football referee's voice, "After further review" - your travel is fine - I get what you were saying above.

Now as for the equipment list, Mr. Holmes might be outraged not to see the following items:

deerstalker hat
top hat
magnifying glass
violin
Meerschaum pipe
pocket watch
compass

[All the above are listed in Ravenloft Masque of the Red Death]

et. al.

:P

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:59 pm
Greater Lore Drake

While a lot of those are affectations of Holmes, I'm not sure they are necessary in an equipment list. Of course, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find an authentic Victorian-era price list for these things.

Oh look. Here's a list.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:17 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Thanks. I'm a big fan of equipment lists both as a CK (or in this case, a GM) and as a player. When I run games, I use equipment lists from C&C, D&D, AD&D, LA (which has a excellent list) and a few others.

With regard to those items above, 'tis hardly a Holmesian list ~ any gentlemen of the period would most likely have those items.

The thing of it is, that an equipment list can help players who might be new to this genre of a Victorian RPG and would benefit from a good list of the various items.

Not sure if you or Mike have looked at Ghastly Affair or Masque, but they have good lists - and I'm not sayin' Mike list is not good ~ but heck it wouldn't hurt to have a look at those lists to see if he/you may wish to add a few items.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 am
Unkbartig

Hm. Well, there is a top hat entry:

Top Hat (Beaver): 10 s./$2.50

...and a deerstalker would be a slouch hat for the woods.
You are however quite correct on the other items, and I will strive to fix that problem if its not too late.

Any other items people want or find missing from the purchase tables plese post here!

Michael, busy looking at his Sears & Roebuck 1900 catalog!

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:47 am
Cleric of Zagyg

From wiki:

"The most famous wearer of a deerstalker is undoubtedly the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, who is popularly depicted favouring this style of cap. Holmes is never actually described as wearing a deerstalker by name in Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, though. However, most notably in "The Adventure of Silver Blaze," the narrator, Doctor Watson, describes him as wearing "his ear-flapped travelling cap", and in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery", as wearing a "close-fitting cloth cap". As the deerstalker is the most typical cap of the period matching both descriptions, it is not surprising that the original illustrations for the stories by Sidney Paget in Great Britain, and Frederic Dorr Steele in the United States, along with other illustrators of the period, depicted Holmes as a "deerstalker man", which then became the popular perception of him.

Later, less-informed depictions of Holmes have him wearing this cap in the city failing to take into account the fact that the fashion-conscious Holmes would be loath to commit such a sartorial faux pas; the deerstalker is traditionally a rural outdoorsman's cap."

Right, we can't have Holmes being a rube or can we. Who's going to challenge Mr. Sherlock Holmes?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:58 am
Unkbartig

Hey Rhu,

When I said as a slouch hat, I meant as a price for purchase. After all, if you want your Holmes in a deerstalker you can of course. Now THAT'S disguise! ;)

Looking at the list of purchase items in the rulebook, I've discovered that its rather more truncated than I'd originally planned. I'm not sure how that happened, perhaps it was a page count issue. At any rate, I've decided to put a much expanded list in the Hunter & Hunter catalog.

...including a deerstalker hat. And a walrus. LOL!

Mike

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:22 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Excellent, Mike!

Penny and I and many others wishing the best success for the game.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:12 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Hey Micheal . .

what is a "black magician"?

Thanks! :)

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:17 am
Unkbartig

Just another term for "Evil Magicians". Any user of the magickal arts who has an Evil alignment. ;)

GM Michael, not evil at all. Really. Honest! :D

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 am
Cleric of Zagyg

DMMike wrote:
Just another term for "Evil Magicians". Any user of the magickal arts who has an Evil alignment. ;)

GM Michael, not evil at all. Really. Honest! :D

OK, cool . . I thought so but wanted to be sure.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:25 am
Mogrl

I don't see anything in Skills or Powers for "Invention", such as the Invention 4 given for the Contraptionist Class on p. 24.

I do see a description for it as a package on page 20, but nothing that defines the benefits of having it at rank 4, etc... It refers us to look at Magic, but that doesn't really explain anything in terms of ranks either.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:19 am
Mogrl

Also, are one of the additional books your writing going into a "build system"? IE for building new weapons, or a HUGE mechanical Dragon, or MASSIVE aerial ship, or any other crazy idea we come up with?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 am
Unkbartig

Hey Tree,

First, having 4 slots in Invention (or Magick for that matter) means you can use up to 4 ranks to 'create' a gadget, battlesuit, weapon, or vehicle. When you do so, those 4 slots are "gone" (as they were used for the item in question), though they reset when you either dismantle the item or gain a skill level. Magick's the same, except you 'set' spells (powers+effects) until you "change" them. Think of them like a "pool" of ranks you can assign at need, though invention takes time and resources to (dis)assemble things and Magick spells can only be changed between adventures or the 2 for 1 limit as noted in the book.

As for vehicle construction, I'd thought about putting something in more detail into the H&H catalog but it was getting too large. Its in editing right now, and if I'm wrong and there are pages left I might do something. Do you feel the system in the rulebook is insufficient for vehicle construction?

Mike

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 pm
Mogrl

DMMike wrote:
Hey Tree,

First, having 4 slots in Invention (or Magick for that matter) means you can use up to 4 ranks to 'create' a gadget, battlesuit, weapon, or vehicle. When you do so, those 4 slots are "gone" (as they were used for the item in question), though they reset when you either dismantle the item or gain a skill level. Magick's the same, except you 'set' spells (powers+effects) until you "change" them. Think of them like a "pool" of ranks you can assign at need, though invention takes time and resources to (dis)assemble things and Magick spells can only be changed between adventures or the 2 for 1 limit as noted in the book.

As for vehicle construction, I'd thought about putting something in more detail into the H&H catalog but it was getting too large. Its in editing right now, and if I'm wrong and there are pages left I might do something. Do you feel the system in the rulebook is insufficient for vehicle construction?

Mike

Well, its good in a broad sense, but it could definitely benefit from more detail, an example fully built, etc...

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:43 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Mike, having Invention in the powers section of the writeups was an accident of mine, caused when I moved the packages into their own heading. However, Invention to me is more like a power than a package. It allows you to create packages, but is itself not a package. Perhaps moving it into the powers list rather than having it in the packages section is more beneficial?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next