View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Bundles and power limitation costs 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Bundles and power limitation costs
One problem I've painted myself into is costs of powers when you bundle / limit them.

It seems to be easy enough when you have powers you bundle as a theme, or have powers with limitations built in. However, it appears I never take the easy road ….

How to you handle costs of a bundle theme with limitations on the theme and on the powers in the theme ???

I'll use my idea as a specific example

The theme is 'shadow' with a 4 point buy – with 2 1 point buys for 2 other powers

Shadow Theme
1 Etherealness - R2
2 Entrap - R2
3 Invisibility - R2
Mesmerize - R2
Keen sense (+3 hearing +2 sight)

However, the entire theme is limited to shadow conditions, and cannot be used in bright sun light nor in complete darkness

Also, the mesmerize is only confuse enthrall and fear – no ability to command - & the target must be entrapped first.

The sense is only if in shadows or if what is been sensed is in shadows.

So, how would that point buy work.

For clarification, I'm not trying to muchkin the character and would keep those limitations on the character (if I play him) even if the answer is the full 6 points. And, yes this is the most super heroiey Victorian concept I can force out of my imagination stunted brain.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 am
Unkbartig

Post Re: Bundles and power limitation costs
Hey Lurker,

First, let me say this is merely my opinion and only your Genteel Magistrate can actually rule on this. Below is simply what I’d do in my home game. That being said…

@ First, since Keen Senses is part of the theme that would be an effective rank 2 power (despite its low cost). So that’s +10 split among 5 senses. Or, +5 like you have it but possibly dark vision; which would fit the theme.

With the “shadows” limitation, I’d knock 1 rank off the cost of the theme for those disadvantages…leaving it as a theme costing 3 ranks (though its effective power ranks is still 4).

With the Mesmerism limitation (clouding minds) I’d kick up its effective rank to 3 instead of 2 with that disadvantage. Since all powers must cost at least 1 rank, this is in lieu of reducing mesmerism’s cost because its already a 1 rank power.

That help? J

Mike

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:41 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Bundles and power limitation costs
Rgr thanks !

It is kind of what I was thinking, but it is good to see my assumptions were close to how you'd do it.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]