Switch to full style
Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG
Post a reply

Fatigue Question and Powers

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Just picked up the core book last week and it looks like a great setting and system!

I have a question about the rules around Fatigue. In the core book, it mentions that a Hero may use a given power for a number of rounds equal to their attribute score before becoming fatigued (saves to go past this score & 6 round rest rules included of course). I have a question about how this may work with different powers. For example, this seems to make the Replicate power extremely more powerful than most other powers since you could keep replicates around for quite a while with only needing a short break. Is this what was intended or am I mistaken somehow. There are also powers that seem to be active (Replicate) vs. passive (Keen Senses & Armor for example). Since the fatigue rules don't specify, does Armor also fall under the fatigue rule? Perhaps a list would be useful of those powers impacted by fatigue rule vs. those who aren't (passive powers).

From a GM perspective, I would be inclined to really limiting Replicate under my current interpretation of the rules as it is extremely powerful and usually game breaking from a GM perspective if a Hero can use it with little difficulty. I would probably extend the fatigue rule for Replicate to be rounds equal to their attribute until they have 6 hours of rest etc. Same with Invisibility power. I play with pretty decent players but it seems as powers such as these can be used with near impunity. Obviously chronicle setting could have an impact on power use by a Hero (with Replicate) but Invisibility wouldn't really be impacted in any chronicle it is available.

Re: Fatigue Question and Powers

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Hey Warbringa, welcome to the madhouse!

For the fatigue rules, I basically considered common sense to rule the day...yeah, an assumption on my part and we know about those right? ;)

Truth is, I don't use fatigue in my games as I just GM fiat when I think a hero is getting tired. Give me a bit and I'll post a list of of powers and if Fatigue is a factor.

Glad you like the game!

GM Michael

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:28 pm

***Edited on Wed. March 15th***

Now look what you did, you made me write an article for the victoriousrpg.com site as well as a reply to your very cojant question!

Power Fatigue List

Greetings all,

An insightful gamer asked me about how the Fatigue rules in Victorious work when broken down to specific powers and abilities. To provide examples, I threw together the list below.

Please note: There are 3 types of answers here. “Yes” means the Fatigue rules (use of ability = Control attribute as per rulebook), “No” (does not cause fatigue), and “Special” (may or may not depending on power).

‘Control Attribute’ provides the pertinent attribute that is generally applied to a given power. This is subject to GM approval, as your Genteel Magistrate might have different ideas as to what control attributes are in her chronicle.

Supernatural
Power / Fatigue / Special Notes / Control Attribute
Armor / No / - / Constitution
Absorption / Yes / - / Constitution
Appendage / No / - / Strength
Attribute / Special / As per use of attributes as normal / -
Blast / Yes / - / Constitution
Climate Resistance / No / - / Constitution
Elasticity / Yes / - / Dexterity
Entrap / Yes / - / As per Entrapment chosen (see rules)
Etherialness / No / - / Constitution
Force Screen / Yes / - / Wisdom
Gigantism / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution
Healing / Yes / - / Charisma
Intuition / No / - / Wisdom
Invisibility / Special / Only when first activated / Dexterity
Invulnerability / No / - / Constitution
keen Senses / No / - / Wisdom
Knack / No / - / Intelligence
Lightning Speed / Yes / - / Dexterity
Luck / No / - / Charisma
Mass Variation / Yes / - / Constitution
Might / No / - / Strength
Mesmerism / Special / Only when first activated; not continuous / Charisma
Phantasms / Yes / - / Wisdom
Potence / No / Constitution
Probability Manipulation / Yes / - / Intelligence
Psycho-Kinesis / Yes / - / Wisdom
Reflection / Yes / - / Constitution
Replication / Yes / - / Constitution
Robust / No / - / Constitution
Shapeshift / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution
Shrink / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution

Spider Climb / Special / Only when first activated / Dexterity
Super-Movement / Yes / - / Constitution
Suppression / Yes / - / Depends on power or attribute suppressed
Telepathy / Yes / - / Intelligence
Translocation / Yes / - / Constitution

There are 2 ways for heroes to avoid the problems of Fatigue beyond simply buying up your pertinent attribute score. If your GM permits, a hero can purchase the limitation of a set number of uses for the power. That way, it has its own Fatigue battery and is isolated from the heroine’s attribute score. This is good for powers dependent on a gadget or some contraption that has its own battery.

The other variant to Fatigue is putting a rank of a given power towards Fatigue resistance. With that, the power’s use does not take away control attribute points as normal Fatigue.

For example: White Frost has bought 3 ranks of Blast. Normally this means his blast would do either 3d6, 2d8, or 1d10 damage chosen at character generation. However, he can limit that power to 2 ranks (2d6 or 1d8) and put the third rank to no Fatigue so the blast doesn’t affect his Constitution (control attribute for blast) score for Fatigue.

Naturally it depends on what kind of chronicle your Genteel Magistrate is running but hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion in the use of Fatigue to supernatural powers.

Ever You’re Servant,
Genteel Magistrate Michael

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks Mike that does help clarify. However you brought up another question surrounding Fatigue for me. You appear to generally have Fatigue based off Constitution score. My mind was completely on a different track based off of the "controlling attribute" mentioned in book. I assumed controlling attribute meant up to the GM's discretion, each power may have a different controlling attribute (Might = Strength, Suppression = Wisdom, Invisibility=Charisma...well some powers are easier to map than others, those were just my initial connections as a GM). However, I think that I like Constitution governing all powers since it would reduce the issue of a player picking a power and always having it use on of their best attributes as I originally thought it was. There will be many characters with lower Constitution and since it is endurance like idea, this makes a whole lot of sense. I may have missed it in the book that Constitution is the default attribute for fatigue purposes. In addition, you only have to keep track of one fatigue "pool" (Constitution), as opposed to the idea of several different attributes.

If a power such as Gigantism only triggers against Con the round it is activated, does that mean a character could conceivably stay enlarged for an indefinite period of time or does each activation last a number of rounds = their Con score or, should they simply be able to stay Gigantic for the scene etc? I know I am splitting hairs here but I know it will be asked of me by the players.

I know that the system gives the GM quite a bit of latitude but I appreciate the fact that you respond to inquiries such as mine!

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello Warbringa,

This response is coming to you directly from the egg-on-face department of Troll Lord Games.!

One of the problems of having worked on a game for 10 yrs is that much of it runs together. Originally it was listed as Constitution in lieu of controlling attribute, but when the manuscript was revised to bring it closer to the Siege Engine class based system it was decided to use a given class attribute in order to make certain classes (Such as Strongarm, Contraptionist, Radiant, etc.) better at certain powers and skills because their class attribute tended to be their highest stat. So, going back to look at things I discover that you are in fact correct about the controlling attribute. :)

...but in my home game, its still CON only! :lol: I will fix the prior article later today when I take a break from grading tests. At least you caught my error before the article went up on the website...and for that I owe you one. :)

Mike

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 am

Nice

Thanks for hanging it

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Ok, here's the new updated Fatigue list. With luck, it will be up on the victoriousrpg.com site by the weekend. Please let me know if there are any (more) problems! ;)

Power Fatigue List

Greetings all,

An insightful gamer asked me about how the Fatigue rules in Victorious work when broken down to specific powers and abilities. To provide examples, I threw together the list below.

Please note: There are 3 types of answers here. “Yes” means the Fatigue rules (use of ability = Control attribute as per rulebook), “No” (does not cause fatigue), and “Special” (may or may not depending on power).

‘Control Attribute’ provides the pertinent attribute that is generally applied to a given power. This is subject to GM approval, as your Genteel Magistrate might have different ideas as to what control attributes are in her chronicle.

Supernatural
Power / Fatigue / Special Notes / Control Attribute
Armor / No / - / Constitution
Absorption / Yes / - / Constitution
Appendage / No / - / Strength
Attribute / Special / As per use of attributes as normal / -
Blast / Yes / - / Constitution
Climate Resistance / No / - / Constitution
Elasticity / Yes / - / Dexterity
Entrap / Yes / - / As per Entrapment chosen (see rules)
Etherialness / No / - / Constitution
Force Screen / Yes / - / Wisdom
Gigantism / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution
Healing / Yes / - / Charisma
Intuition / No / - / Wisdom
Invisibility / Special / Only when first activated / Dexterity
Invulnerability / No / - / Constitution
keen Senses / No / - / Wisdom
Knack / No / - / Intelligence
Lightning Speed / Yes / - / Dexterity
Luck / No / - / Charisma
Mass Variation / Yes / - / Constitution
Might / No / - / Strength
Mesmerism / Special / Only when first activated; not continuous / Charisma
Phantasms / Yes / - / Wisdom
Potence / No / Constitution
Probability Manipulation / Yes / - / Intelligence
Psycho-Kinesis / Yes / - / Wisdom
Reflection / Yes / - / Constitution
Replication / Yes / - / Constitution
Robust / No / - / Constitution
Shapeshift / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution
Shrink / Special / Only when first activated / Constitution

Spider Climb / Special / Only when first activated / Dexterity
Super-Movement / Yes / - / Constitution
Suppression / Yes / - / Depends on power or attribute suppressed
Telepathy / Yes / - / Intelligence
Translocation / Yes / - / Constitution

There are 2 ways for heroes to avoid the problems of Fatigue beyond simply buying up your pertinent attribute score. If your GM permits, a hero can purchase the limitation of a set number of uses for the power. That way, it has its own Fatigue battery and is isolated from the heroine’s attribute score. This is good for powers dependent on a gadget or some contraption that has its own battery.

The other variant to Fatigue is putting a rank of a given power towards Fatigue resistance. With that, the power’s use does not take away control attribute points as normal Fatigue.

For example: White Frost has bought 3 ranks of Blast. Normally this means his blast would do either 3d6, 2d8, or 1d10 damage chosen at character generation. However, he can limit that power to 2 ranks (2d6 or 1d8) and put the third rank to no Fatigue so the blast doesn’t affect his Constitution (control attribute for blast) score for Fatigue.

Naturally it depends on what kind of chronicle your Genteel Magistrate is running but hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion in the use of Fatigue to supernatural powers.

Ever You’re Servant,
Genteel Magistrate Michael
Post a reply