Crash – enhanced speed WITHOUT high dex

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Crash – enhanced speed WITHOUT high dex

Post by Lurker »

While watching one of the many soccer games this weekend, I saw one of my older daughter’s team mate in action … her nick name is CRASH, and she lives up to it. She is scary fast (for an under 11 year old girl) and not afraid to get into the mix. However, she has that long leg gangly run of a pre-teen. So, the result of her play is as likely as not an epic wreck (some almost as good as a hockey collision) as it is a clean play on the ball with a little girl blinking trying to figure out where the gray & red blur came from & how she is going to catch ‘crash’ already 20 feet down the field and headed to pass off to the forwards.

That got me thinking about the lightning speed power with the requirement for a similar super dex. That fits for a ‘flash’ hero – zipping through traffic around crowds of people etc, and never touching anything. However, what about a ‘crash’ hero – just as fast, but hitting (bouncing off)the cars, and careening into and bowling through the crowds of people.

Of course crash will inherently less popular than his rival crash, but he could be a lot of fun to play.

Of course, I know the official answer will be ‘it is up to the DM’ etc. That said.

Would that type of character be allowable ?

If so, what would the min dex be (to low a dex & it will inherently be strait line only running and any turn becomes a tangle of arms and legs bouncing across the ground or into the wall ?

What other powers would the hero need to be playable/survivable ? – armor & robust are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but are there others ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Crash – enhanced speed WITHOUT high dex

Post by DMMike »

Rhiannon and I were discussing this online, and another character noted would be Marvel's Cannonball from the New Mutants. Fast as far as moving distances in a straight line, but can't turn or maneuver at all in his flight mode.

Perhaps it could be done up as a disadvantage for the power? Say, a character has a DEX of 21 and has 2 ranks of Lightning Speed. However, the disadvantage to the LS is that the character only reacts during its use as if s/he has a DEX of 8? S/he gets the advantages of Lightning speed in regards to actions per round, but the DEX ponus isn't there.

Also like Cannonball, it could be given to flight as well as Lightning Speed; indeed it could be applied to most any Super-Movement at all.

Hm, any other thoughts?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Lurker wrote:While watching one of the many soccer games this weekend, I saw one of my older daughter’s team mate in action … her nick name is CRASH, and she lives up to it. She is scary fast (for an under 11 year old girl) and not afraid to get into the mix. However, she has that long leg gangly run of a pre-teen. So, the result of her play is as likely as not an epic wreck (some almost as good as a hockey collision) as it is a clean play on the ball with a little girl blinking trying to figure out where the gray & red blur came from & how she is going to catch ‘crash’ already 20 feet down the field and headed to pass off to the forwards.

That got me thinking about the lightning speed power with the requirement for a similar super dex. That fits for a ‘flash’ hero – zipping through traffic around crowds of people etc, and never touching anything. However, what about a ‘crash’ hero – just as fast, but hitting (bouncing off)the cars, and careening into and bowling through the crowds of people.

Of course crash will inherently less popular than his rival crash, but he could be a lot of fun to play.

Of course, I know the official answer will be ‘it is up to the DM’ etc. That said.

Would that type of character be allowable ?

If so, what would the min dex be (to low a dex & it will inherently be strait line only running and any turn becomes a tangle of arms and legs bouncing across the ground or into the wall ?

What other powers would the hero need to be playable/survivable ? – armor & robust are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but are there others ?
You might note that Lightning Speed is the only supernatural power that requires a minimum attribute score. I originally didn't have it that way, but a couple of the playtest groups insisted on it, saying it didn't make sense otherwise. Looking back on it, I'm coming to the conclusion I should have stood my ground. Oh well! :)

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Rhiannon and I were discussing this online, and another character noted would be Marvel's Cannonball from the New Mutants. Fast as far as moving distances in a straight line, but can't turn or maneuver at all in his flight mode.

Perhaps it could be done up as a disadvantage for the power? Say, a character has a DEX of 21 and has 2 ranks of Lightning Speed. However, the disadvantage to the LS is that the character only reacts during its use as if s/he has a DEX of 8? S/he gets the advantages of Lightning speed in regards to actions per round, but the DEX ponus isn't there.

Also like Cannonball, it could be given to flight as well as Lightning Speed; indeed it could be applied to most any Super-Movement at all.

Hm, any other thoughts?

Mike
I remember you and Rhia talking about 'Cannonball' but hadn't read the comic to know much about it, and only got parts of the talk so didn't put 2 & 2 together on it.

That said, when am I going to learn the answer is almost always 'disadvantage' and a siege check ... those few times that isn't the answer, look again because it probably is the answer ...

Require a dex check at CL 1 but then increase it as needed for the speed &/or the angle of the turn. Heck that could be dangerous for a flash or crash character even with an 18 Dex or minimally 'super' dex ... Lord knows Roll 20 & Map tool LOVES to give me more than my fair share of 1s 2s & 3s ...

A side note, that shows how easy it is to work with and modify things with the siege engine ...

Hmmmm, I just got a picture of a character, ...what is a fancy word for bowling ??? The character is speed heavy, with decent armor (or absorption of kinetic damage) his favored attack is just bull rushing the enemy and slamming into them. ... Ok enough silly ...
DMMike wrote:
You might note that Lightning Speed is the only supernatural power that requires a minimum attribute score. I originally didn't have it that way, but a couple of the playtest groups insisted on it, saying it didn't make sense otherwise. Looking back on it, I'm coming to the conclusion I should have stood my ground. Oh well! :)

Mike
& that is why God created the word 'House-rule' ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I think allowing a normal DEX score range, and the GM just requiring a DEX check or save, as the scenario requires, would more than adequately handle such a character.

I suppose some CK/GM/DM's like being told when and how to call for rolls to be made. Certainly beginning game masters need such guidelines to learn from, BUT eventually the training wheels need to come off. That occurs when a GM looks for in game event driven situations to occur to call for such checks.

The way I handle it is I have a visual based "movie" going on in my head. So when that visualization shows me something would be more difficult than normal, not easy to do, I call for a check, especially if it also adds to the tension of the game.

So I think with a character Les has imagined above, yeah, get rid of the rule, at least for that character, because in my opinion, concept is more important than the rules, especially if the concept won't "break" the game or campaign. If I have concerns it would do such damage, then I stick to the rules. Anyways, this is when the mechanics will help flesh out the story of the character by reinforcing the concept of them being fast, but still prone to being clumsy. So some rolls will have them pull things off just fine, but other rolls will have them some how bungle it. If they roll a 1, the gloves come off for the GM, and they get as brutal as they want, assuming the situation around which the roll was made calls for something truly catastrophic, because it should make sense within the context of the scene when a GM does such things.

So obviously I see such a character concept being perfectly workable within the rules we use in Victorious. Just removing the requirement of an 18 or better would have to occur. Which I would be fine with, because I don't see how having a super speed character with less than an 18 DEX would break or ruin the game or a campaign. Certainly not the one I am currently running.

Plus, as the character levels, they can always "buy off" being clumsy by using their power selection to raise their attribute to an 18 or higher.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.