View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Power ideas 
Mogrl

Post Power ideas
"Stand" Power:

This ability is the only power a given character can have. It manifests as a ghostly entity that has a "theme". Such as powers somehow related to a specific Tarot card, such as the Justice card, and the Stand manifests as a shining Knight, with a special "power" usable only when Justice is being fulfilled. A character who can summon a Stand cannot have any powers of their own, all powers must be taken for the Stand. They can give themselves skills, though. The Stand can have skills, but typically such skills will do no good. A Stand can only be summoned when someone is in imminent danger. A Stand can be summoned instantly to intercept, and take a hit, meant for anyone the Summoner wishes. This is the ONLY time a Stand can act out of turn (Initiative order). A Stand will go away once the threat is gone. The key thing is, a threat of imminent harm must be occurring in order to Summon a Stand. This would include summoning one prior to entering a room where a threat is known to be, or the Stand Summoner is about to go around a corner and deal with a threat they know is there. Typically, a Stand is summoned as an instantaneous response to a sudden threat, or attack.

Hamon Power:

Is a soul based power. It is invoked through a special breathing technique, that manifests once a Hamon practitioner can take 50 breathes a Second.The mental and physical discipline such an impossible feat takes, enables the person to manifest their own "Hamon", or soul energy. This energy can be used in a number of ways. First and foremost it is incredibly destructive against the Undead, as well as Demons and Devils. Touching such creatures will look like they have been splashed with liquid sun, and will instantly destroy "normal" specimens previously mentioned. Hamon can also be used to heal the Hamon Master, often keeping themselves from dying fro+m otherwise mortal wounds. They can also heal others of physical energy. Hamon can also be used to manifest an "armor", or "shield" of some kind to protect the Master from physical harm, such as projectiles. It can also be used to greatly enhance a persons physical Strength and Endurance.

The above based powers are a baseline for running a character based upon a character named JoJo Joestar. If you know that name, then you know what Anime these two powers are drawn from.

I have also posted these to the FB and G+ Victorious communities.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:33 pm
Unkbartig

Post Re: Power ideas
As I noted on the other thread:

...BTW, the "Stand" power is pretty interesting. I'd assume it would have to have a kind of "Intuition" component for the danger detection? If the justice paradyme wasn't there, this could make a rather interesting villain Tarot group! :)

The other...is rather oomphy, at least to undead. I'd have to chew on it before I can give a real opinion.

Mike

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm
Mogrl

DMMike wrote:
As I noted on the other thread:

...BTW, the "Stand" power is pretty interesting. I'd assume it would have to have a kind of "Intuition" component for the danger detection? If the justice paradyme wasn't there, this could make a rather interesting villain Tarot group! :)

The other...is rather oomphy, at least to undead. I'd have to chew on it before I can give a real opinion.

Mike

It does have power levels, so the "steps" to get to full power would need to be outlined. Plus, just how common would undead be in any given game? Doesn't do a lot of good to be really powerful against something you don't run into all that often, you will just be real glad you are when you do.

So these are just basic concepts to build on. Much like your powers in the book.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm
Unkbartig

:lol: Liz and I were just talking that over, and she said virtually the same thing. Not often you run into undead, but will be glad to have the power when you do.

...and let's face it, you always run into undead eventually. Like Orcs and Nazis, they're an inevitable ffoe...and one you don't need to feel remorse about blasting! :)

Mike

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I've no idea on the background the idea comes from so may be missing the context of the feel or the powers

I like the idea of it as a theme ... for additional powers on justice maybe mind reading (or detect lies) or take it a step up and say prevents lies from being spoken/communicated in it's presence

I'm not a 'tarot card' fan so I'm not sure what other themes would be available ... love, death, ... I'm not sure what else but I'm sure with only a little thought you could think of various themes and powers from the deck.

That said, intuition would be required (well not required, but VERY beneficial) with the only usable when facing a direct threat stipulation . Hmmmm ... without intuition maybe require a wis check or wisdom based roguery/criminology check to see if the character notices something to let them know that the danger is there and be able to activate the power prior to the attack. If not then have them roll init and hope theirs is higher than the enemy, or if the bad guy has an ambush then they get 1 round surprised before they can activate the power.

As for the Hamon power, as the perpetual Paladin, I like it. However, what 'power' of a game would it best fit in - Grim maybe to powerful ... Gilded, not sure ... Standard supers, are undead that common to justify the power ?

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 am
Mogrl

They come from an Anime named JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. Its pretty famous over in Japan, and seems pretty popular among Anime fans here in the US.
The above write ups are not full write ups, they are just the core idea as presented in the Anime and interpreted by me. It would need to be defined by the player (and GM) as its created and played.

So basically, for the Stand, anything that can fit the "theme" goes, just in the Anime they have only one primary power, with every other ability secondary to the Primary power. Like the one I like due to its Versatility is the one based upon the "Fool" card, they can manipulate sand, to the point where they can create anything out of it, even a glider type contraption. The main character in the Star Dust Crusaders story arc for JoJo, is in a lot of ways Superman, super strong, super fast, but not invulnerable, doesn't have heat vision, but does have a super breathe kind of ability. Oh, and he doesn't fly. He is invulnerable in that his attacks do not hurt himself, no matter what he is punching.

Anyways, its pretty interesting as a series, and a concept.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 am
Ungern

One of my favorite themes from the Deck was "The Lovers" one. The idea was that the stand invaded a single opponent at a time, and your "fates" were then tied. What happened to the stand controller would happen to the afflicted opponent, except 10x worse. the Stand user in question used it to control the protagonists party by infecting a person they all cared about and forcing them to do what they wanted or they would hurt themselves in some small way (which would turn into something agonizing for the person they had infected). Plus the party couldn't fight the opponent directly or they would likely end up killing the person they cared about too. They triumphed by attacking the stand head on, but it required a bit of doing to be able to get at it directly and not hurt the person it was infecting. It was very fun dynamic to explore.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]