Wind rain ice thunder and lightning - entangle blast etc

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Wind rain ice thunder and lightning - entangle blast etc

Post by Lurker »

Well, my girls are building their characters - between school projects, home work, dance classes, and soccer. My older daughter has gone all passive mental type powers - luck intuition probability manipulation etc. Not sure how directly effective she will be in a fight, but there is a TON of possibility of her causing chaos to all of the plans I put together (oh it warms the heart). With her I'm to the point of power buys shortcomings etc.

On the other hand, my younger girl's main idea is all direct in your face powers, and all based on the weather -wind to fly, rain lightning thunder sleet etc. She is still kicking around specifics on what she wants. Sooooo I have to do some planning and the ideas for her. ...

For weather, which effect lines up with which element ?

Sleet / Ice - entangle - I'd assume dex ; it could also be a 'blast' area effect I guess
lightning - blast - is a given
However, what would rain be ????
What about a wind based entangle - strength maybe
What about lightning/thunder - mesmerism (limited to stun) or a mental based "entangle"
Hmmmm maybe a wind effect is a type of 'force screen'

A fly in the ointment for her is that, unlike her older sister who has a background story with a TON of shortcomings built in so has more than enough points to buy her powers skills and primes, she is thus far limited to her points to buy with. So, what are some realistic negatives for her to further reduce the cost ? I was thinking of limiting the powers' effectiveness and potency when indoors. But will that be too limiting ? Especially with her sister's limited combat effectiveness and direct attack powers ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Wind rain ice thunder and lightning - entangle blast etc

Post by Rigon »

You could build a "weather witch" package/theme and just have her learning her powers.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Hm. For ice/sleet I'd say you're better off with a Suppression or Attribute attack (WIS-Perception only) instead of an Entrap. Unless you're thinking of her icing up baddies in a block of ice? Maybe a movement suppression as well, sliding on ice. Hmmm. Wish I'd thought of that for Jacque Frost!

Rain...Again, probably more of a Suppression of perceptions rather than than a direct attack.

Wind; lifting should be Psycho-Kinesis and defense should be Force Screen, depending on what you're doing with it.

Dunno about the 'stunning thunder'. I'd probably say an INT or WIS Entrap but fairly low dice to better reflect stunning in lieu of a coma. ;)

Again, I agree with R. in that she should probably start low powered (esp. if no shortcomings) and increase with time.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:You could build a "weather witch" package/theme and just have her learning her powers.

R-

Again, I agree with R. in that she should probably start low powered (esp. if no shortcomings) and increase with time.

Mike
Rgr on starting her out on lower power settings and having her grow into them or developing more powers.

I do want her to have enough powers to have fun though. It is one thing to make it fair, it is another one to consider she is 9 1/2 and wasn't completely ready to give up the Harvester game & a Supers game was her sister's choice. I may bend the rules a bit and give her some behind the scene shortcomings she bumps into down the road.

Similarly, after the talk my older daughter & I had on the drive home from church last night, I think I have a few more shortcomings for her that will come up down the road ... one of the classic 'season 2' surprises
DMMike wrote:Hm. For ice/sleet I'd say you're better off with a Suppression or Attribute attack (WIS-Perception only) instead of an Entrap. Unless you're thinking of her icing up baddies in a block of ice? Maybe a movement suppression as well, sliding on ice. Hmmm. Wish I'd thought of that for Jacque Frost!

Rain...Again, probably more of a Suppression of perceptions rather than than a direct attack.

Wind; lifting should be Psycho-Kinesis and defense should be Force Screen, depending on what you're doing with it.

Dunno about the 'stunning thunder'. I'd probably say an INT or WIS Entrap but fairly low dice to better reflect stunning in lieu of a coma. ;)

Mike
On ice, rgr on the suppression, movement . I guess it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other between that & and entrap dex . ... no moving vs slipping and sliding and falling.

NICE on suppression of perception due to rain - (and I just though of fog there too) . I would have never thought of that. THANKS

Wind (at least at first) will be for flight. I do like the idea of force screen as a defensive use down the road. Plus, I never thought of it as a 'lifting' Psycho-kinesis effect, but it fits.

Rgr on stun only on the thunder effect

Thanks for the suggestions
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Fog is a good one, dunno why I didn't think of that. Fits real well in rain!

Psycho-Kinesis works well as an entrap by itself if you do a grapple! Plus she could carry others whith her flight if that's something important to her.

Considering your group, you might add in a few benny ranks just to make sure they have a fun game. Or like you said about seson 2 shortcomings, I occasionally let Liz creat characters with a couple of shortcomings that are just "???" and as GM I fill them in later. Sounds like what you're doing, and good on you for that. :)

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com