Castle Keepers Guide Update

All the TLG News in all the formats!
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Castle Keepers Guide Update

Post by Troll Lord »

Greetings All,

Okay, so we have some news finally. First off, thank you to everyone that have borne this wait with such patience. I believe it will be worth it. So what follows is the latest news and a special offering to all pre-order folks.

In short, I told the entire crew to slow everything down and walk through the tasks as if we had all the time in the world. We've worked the problem from several angles and have come to a good working solution that has allowed us to already product the M&T of Aihrde Hardcover and Of Gods & Monsters hardcover.

We'll apply the same techniques to the Castle Keepers Guide (but there is one hitch, as always with this book). Essentially the problems lie in the wrap itself, and the board warping. The manufacturer of the binding equipment recommends that we use a particular type of paper that by-passes this process. We did not use this in the first place due to a mis-communication with our sales rep and paper sizes versus what we could and could not do, compounded with a steep learning curve on our part.

The confusion now cleared we have begun using this new paper. Essentially it combines the laminate with the toner, disallowing the need to have the cover wrap laminated. This is good as it saves on time and paper loss. What we loose is that crazy shiny look that you have on the PH and MT. I personally don't mind this as this new paper has something of a matte appeal, less glossy to it. The laminate works just as it does in normal wraps. Basically the book is less shiny, but just as durable. This is the route we will go for the CKG. So now it needs only ordering the stock and beginning the process anew.

All of this will begin tomorrow. These shipments sometimes take several days so it will be next week at the earliest before we start manufacturing the books..."the good lord willing and the creek don't rise" as Gary used to say.

But all that mess aside, I do not feel I can keep this book under wraps any longer. Effective immediately the CKG is available in Perfect Bound edition as well as the electronic version. We do not normally release the PDF until the book has been out for awhile, but in this case, it is time to get the book out in as many forms as possible.

Its a new age, so let the CKG usher it in!

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PRE-ORDERED THE HARDCOVER
If you have a pre-order in, whether you changed it to perfect back, or took a damaged CKG, we are offering you a 20% discount on the PDF purchase price. Please email Tim Burns at tim_burns at chenaultandgray.com for the information.

This discount extends to anyone who orders the book from now until it official release in 3298...just kidding. Its official release in the next week or so.

For anyone wanting a refund please email us at orders at trolllord.com and we'll get you taken care of.

To everyone, a very king Thank You. You guys rock.

Steve

post script: We are still wrestling with this #&@&@! warping and have many more miles to go to master it, and we will!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Castle Keepers Guide Update

Post by Go0gleplex »

That's pretty good news there Steve. Lookin forward to the book hittin my doorstep in a week or so. :) I'll start designing some flood control for that blasted creek too while I'm waiting. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Course, it should be noted that what is meant by 'matte' covers is something akin to the way the AD&D books looked. The non shiny surface. It still looks cool, but doesn't reflect light like a mirror. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellent, Steve!! :P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Awesome, well, kinda. I mean it's awesome to start rolling out the CKG in some new format!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

gideon_thorne wrote:Course, it should be noted that what is meant by 'matte' covers is something akin to the way the AD&D books looked. The non shiny surface. It still looks cool, but doesn't reflect light like a mirror. :)
I prefer this look and wish more rpg companies would embrace it.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Shiny or no, I just want it and can hardly wait. The lady at the post office has been on high alert for the past 2 weeks (when I thought it was going to be shipped in the first place). I'll have to let her know that it will be another couple of weeks yet. Anywho, thanks for all the hard work guys.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Well I'll definitely need a copy of the .pdf.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here's a question: if I order a perfectbound copy, do I still get my pre-ordered hardback? I'll repost this in the Q&A as it might get a faster response there.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Steve, I just got the email re: this. My question is, how do I learn if I pre-ordered the CKG or not? I *think* I may have, but cannot recall. The last calendar year has been quite a whirlwind...
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rigon wrote:Here's a question: if I order a perfectbound copy, do I still get my pre-ordered hardback? I'll repost this in the Q&A as it might get a faster response there.

R-
Absolutely!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Zudrak wrote:Steve, I just got the email re: this. My question is, how do I learn if I pre-ordered the CKG or not? I *think* I may have, but cannot recall. The last calendar year has been quite a whirlwind...
Drop me an PM. I'm but I'm pretty sure you did.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey folks,

On the discount: I originally put in 15%, but changed it to 20%. We were talking about percentages last night and settled on 20% discount but in my rush to get that message board post out I put in 15%. Tim however put in 20% off the price so everyone who has purchased the book PDF actually got the correct discount and paid $25.60 (I think) haha.

Thanks,
Steve

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So there are now 6 versions of the CKG?

1) test digest (like I have)

2) regular digest

3) softbound cover, standard size

4) warped hardcover, standard size

5) regular hardcover, standard size

6) PDF

I need 4 of those. Please mark me down.

RAD Colin
Skobbit

Post by RAD Colin »

I have to say, I prefer matte over gloss when it comes to covers; it's more elegant and understated imo, and less "throwaway pop culture magazine" in look. So, that change is a good one, as far as I'm personally concerned.

Colin
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-nominated publishers of Atomic Highway and other fine RPG publications!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Troll Lord wrote:
Rigon wrote:Here's a question: if I order a perfectbound copy, do I still get my pre-ordered hardback? I'll repost this in the Q&A as it might get a faster response there.

R-
Absolutely!

Steve
Already ordered. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I prefer the gloss covers, honestly, but it makes little difference to me as long as I get a CKG! Even though I prefer the gloss covers, I would rather see all TLG hardcovers done matte, rather than all of them be gloss and the CKG be the odd man out. I hope for the slip case set, they are all the same style (matte); maybe I am too particular, but I don't want two gloss books and one matte style. My OCD will kick in, lol. :)

In the end though, it really doesn't matter if the book is three hole punched and thrown in a binder....I will have the holy grail of rpg books....the legendary
Castle Keeper's Guide!

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Stop saying it's name. The true name of it may never actually be known, but using it's well known Earth Name continues to make it angry. Every time someone says it, it's another week. Stop, I beg of you.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Piperdog wrote:I prefer the gloss covers, honestly, but it makes little difference to me as long as I get a CKG! Even though I prefer the gloss covers, I would rather see all TLG hardcovers done matte, rather than all of them be gloss and the CKG be the odd man out. I hope for the slip case set, they are all the same style (matte); maybe I am too particular, but I don't want two gloss books and one matte style. My OCD will kick in, lol. :)

In the end though, it really doesn't matter if the book is three hole punched and thrown in a binder....I will have the holy grail of rpg books....the legendary
Castle Keeper's Guide!
You know Eric, I actually thought of this (you and I are too much alike). We are going to print the MT and PH for the complete set in house. Which is all good because the PH 4th is actually entering its final life cycle. A 5th printing is in the offing, probably this year.

Steve

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Right Steve, you want to do the exact same number of print editions as the AD&D PH, correct??

Heh, that number escapes me now, but it would be coolio to do it (or less for the win!!!)

:D
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

You know Eric, I actually thought of this (you and I are too much alike). We are going to print the MT and PH for the complete set in house. Which is all good because the PH 4th is actually entering its final life cycle. A 5th printing is in the offing, probably this year.
This is good news all around. I got out my old 2nd Edition AD&D books to take a look at the texture and finish. Talk about a wave of nostalgia. It would kick ass for C&C to do that. It really looks great, and it would be such a nod to old school playing. I can't wait! On another note, I haven't given up hope for another gold foil, leatherette edition of the books.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Now that perfect bound is printing, do we have an estimate on how long it will take for our FLGS to get it? I am going to break down and buy a softcover while I wait for the slipcase set.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Piperdog wrote:Now that perfect bound is printing, do we have an estimate on how long it will take for our FLGS to get it? I am going to break down and buy a softcover while I wait for the slipcase set.
Eric,

The perfect bound edition will not be released to retail shops, unless a retailer orders it directly from TLG. Only the hardback and digest versions are available for purchase in retailer shops. Essentially, any of the main books will be released to shops as hardbacks: PH, MT, CKG. Of Gods and Monsters perfect bound will be removed from the distribution channel as will the M&T of Aihrde perfect bound, as soon as those hardback books are available...that will be in the next eight months.

Essentially perfect bound books do not have good shelf life for retailers and cannot withstand the constant thumbing through them; corners become bent as do pages and the surfaces become scratched. Furthermore, the distributors are very reluctant to carry multiple versions of books. Why I could not tell you. We only released the digest books into that channel after repeated requests.

The PH and MT have been available for as perfect bound for well over a year and they are not available in retail shops; nor will they be for the reasons stated above.

So if you want the perfect bound version of the CKG you must order it from the TLG store. After shipping it will cost about $36.00 if you live in the States, about $44.00 if you live in Canada the UK etc etc.

Thanks,
Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey folks,

Now that my weekend has died down a bit I'd like to offer a little more explanation about what is going on. I'm not going to get into any kind of pricing decision or discussions. I made the final call on all that.

First up, the 20% discount offered to those who pre-ordered the CKG was not offered as a "thank you for trusting in us" type deal. It was offered to you that way because very soon we'll set up a system whereby if you but the print copy of a book, you get a coupon for 20% off the PDF version. This has been one of Tim's tasks, learning the RPGNow/Drivethru ropes that will allow us to do that. We aren't there yet, but should be shortly. Once that is complete we can begin offering that program. But we wanted to make certain that we offered that to those pre-order folks interested in getting the PDF of the CKG. We set up a general coupon and have been using it. This should go live in the next few weeks, and would probably have gone live already if the print shop expansion hadn't become the task it became.

Now, for those who think that 20% discount was a simple offering from TLG to compensate the patience of those on pre-order and that that was all the old Troll offered, then you don't know the company very well. We know that this business is about you, the end user. And being a fan of print products it never once entered my mind to award the pre-order folks with a PDF, nor a discounted one. It has been on my mind to include something in the package when the book comes. But I have sense decided that that won't work as people may have this book or that, autographs, but some like that and some don't, etc etc.

It just so happens that we have been working on adding to the catalog a coupon system and it was brought to my attention late last week that we have a fix. So like as not I'll be issuing coupons for X% of your next purchase or something like that or a get X book free or some such. I'll have to see what the system allows before determining what best way to thank folks.

The nice thing is that this will allow us to issue (I hope) coupons for the C&C Society discount (10%) and the military discount (50%) and (I hope) a 10% discount for print purchase if you buy the PDF.

I have not publicly discussed any of this as we have to work all these details out. This is part of Tim's job as our online content manager...he's discovering just how much ground his title covers :shock: I'm doing it now because I know alot of you are defending what seems another crazy troll move on other boards.

The good news on the CKG front is that I'm pretty sure the print shop is up and running, all systems go, so back to work on Monday. I will know better where we are in the morning after Mark gets here. I'll update then.

Thanks all,
Steve

post script: The PDF of the CKG will include book marks, hyper links, anchors and every other bell and whistle we can think of. Peter has some new software coming his way and as he cuts his teeth on it, we'll update the CKG file which immediately goes into everyone's inbox. Basically we are treating it like a living document.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Anyway possible to obtain a tracking number on the CKG after it has been shipped?

L.S.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

The first batch of Castle Keepers Guides shipped today. More tomorrow and so on.

Thank you all for the patience.

I'll be sending out a Troll's Tusk tomorrow making the official announcement.

Trollzah!
Steve

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Troll Lord wrote:The first batch of Castle Keepers Guides shipped today. More tomorrow and so on.

Trollzah!
Steve
:D :) 8-) :lol: :P :twisted: :mrgreen:

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Troll Lord wrote:The first batch of Castle Keepers Guides shipped today. More tomorrow and so on.

Trollzah!
Steve

WHOO HOOO!

I should be seeing it Friday or Saturady then. :) What a way to cheer up the week. :mrgreen:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice work Trolls! It should be a joyous time to finally get this monkey off your back and OUT THE DOOR!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

SWEET A!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads