TLG 8504 Engineering Castles (Available)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

TLG 8504 Engineering Castles (Available)

Post by Troll Lord »

TLG 8504 Engineering Castles
Accessory, 36 pages, Perfect Bound, ISBN 978-0-9844155-7-1

Adventure does not limit itself to the depths of earth and stone, but calls the seeker in, exploring all heights and stretches: to the spires of looming towers, to the forbidden glades deep in ancient heartwood and to the sunken and abandoned places lost in time. But, not all are hidden – some are welcoming bastions for the wayward traveler, and others are the holdings of creatures most foul; still more bear foreboding edifices, casting a mocking shadow – be they castle, ruin or manor, each beckons a promise of loot, a glimpse of chance, and portends fate.

An aspiring Castle Keeper will often have many floor-plans of places through which unsuspecting player characters will venture, generally taking the forms of underground complexes or even wilderness or urban areas, but many likely do not have much stock for the “other” locales such as bastions, keeps, temples, and castles. This tome will remedy that situation and provide the Castle Keeper the tools and templates to design such from nothing or, if desired, to modify an existing structure with new and unknown (which may be otherwise familiar) traits.

To start, it helps to answer very basic questions, making the needed background choices which will further assist as fine details are determined. Those who have read the first work, SG1: Engineering Dungeons, will find the procedure similar – please note that the former is not needed to enjoy or use what is here. In many senses, a “castle” is but a dungeon in a different sense, so an understanding of them is helpful but not essential. It may, at first, seem unusual that much of this work is focused on chapels or temples, but in the real world, castle structures were often built into, or from pre-existing, religious institutions, these being the bases for architectural endeavors for most of pre-Industrial history.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: On the Anvil: TLG 8504 Engineering Castles

Post by Relaxo »

sweet! ED was great, so I can't wait!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Whoever knew E-D was a good thing. In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to EC. ED seems to be a top seller when I'm selling product at cons, and I expect no less of EC.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Whoever knew E-D was a good thing. In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to EC. ED seems to be a top seller when I'm selling product at cons, and I expect no less of EC.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

LOL didn't catch that abbreviation.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

All about this, too. I love ED (and yes, that's a rather unfortunate abbreviation. :mrgreen: ) and will be happy to snap this up almost as soon as possible.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Having seen the finished product, I must say it is prettier than I had imagined. I hope those who purchase enjoy.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Very cool! We can always use more general resources for our RPG gaming.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Finished product?? A release should be right around the corner I hope?

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Engineering Castles, retailing for $9.99, is now available. It marks a milestone for TLG and the Crusade. Engineering Castles is now available as a print product or a PDF from our web-store. Though we do not sell the product separate as a PDF (for that you must go to RPGNow or Drivethru) you can get the Print/PDF combination for $12.99.

A congratulations to Mr. Robert Doyel for another fine RPG product.

Steve

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Cool! So if we purchased the print & pdf combination, how do we get our download?

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Well, I have a download link in my account now, but it says it is already expired.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

This is on my buy list, but waiting for the chunky landscape screens to come out to save on shipping. The more stuff I plan to buy TLG releases at once, the better :).
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Please let me know your thoughts on the work, for better or worse, so the next one can be improved.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Anyone have this product yet?

I have it on my list and hope to buy it soon.

Thanks.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Rhuvein wrote:Anyone have this product yet?

Thanks.

8-)
Have it. Like it. :)

There is some material for "high fantasy" castle design that you may or may not wish to use (planar and mobile castles, strange materials used for construction, etc). But, the majority of the material is very useful and grounded in "reality" (such as it is) for quickly designing keeps and castles...especially where background is important.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

redwullf wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Anyone have this product yet?

Thanks.

8-)
Have it. Like it. :)

There is some material for "high fantasy" castle design that you may or may not wish to use (planar and mobile castles, strange materials used for construction, etc). But, the majority of the material is very useful and grounded in "reality" (such as it is) for quickly designing keeps and castles...especially where background is important.
Thanks for responding!

Me gotta get it!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Does this address the design problem for "mundane" castles such as aerial & magic using attackers in a fantasy environment?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Arduin wrote:Does this address the design problem for "mundane" castles such as aerial & magic using attackers in a fantasy environment?
Not in any detail, no. I would say it addresses it in terms of aerial and magic castles, which are a reasonable response to aerial and magical attackers.

Interesting that you mention this, however. In my campaigns, I remind my players that the prevalence of dungeons in the world is due precisely to what you've mentioned. Castles and keeps are a reasonable defense for most mundane situations, and most of the races rely on them to some degree or another. However, dungeons are really just underground "castles" built by more magically-oriented people, to address the very issue of supernatural attackers.

A conventional castle does nothing to keep out rampaging dragons - but dungeons are quite effective. I like to use NORAD as an example. It is a massive underground "castle" designed to survive unconventional attacks. It is, in effect, a mega-dungeon.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

redwullf wrote: Interesting that you mention this, however. In my campaigns, I remind my players that the prevalence of dungeons in the world is due precisely to what you've mentioned. Castles and keeps are a reasonable defense for most mundane situations, and most of the races rely on them to some degree or another. However, dungeons are really just underground "castles" built by more magically-oriented people, to address the very issue of supernatural attackers.

A conventional castle does nothing to keep out rampaging dragons - but dungeons are quite effective. I like to use NORAD as an example. It is a massive underground "castle" designed to survive unconventional attacks. It is, in effect, a mega-dungeon.
Thank you very much for that perspective. It opens the door for what large fortifications would have to be in a typical "D&D" world. A Medieval "France" in D&D, with its powerful enemies would not be able to really rely on standard castles as much as it did irl.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules