TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum

Post by Relaxo »

Troll Lord wrote:
Relaxo wrote:Dumb question: why send it to another printer when TLG invested in it's own printing shop? is it just too large a quantity at once?
We do and we did. Early on we had some issues with hardbacks, that was largely fixed, but we realized that our rate of production on hardbacks was not large. Taking into account time then it proved cheaper to outsource these bad boys; of course as soon as we did the market shifted and the price of outsourced hardbacks dropped to below what we can do them for in house, which just made us all happy. So now we outsource and deep print the hardcovers like Codex Celtarum.

Thanks!
Steve
I said it was a dumb question. :D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Relaxo wrote:I said it was a dumb question. :D
I always say that there is no such thing as a dumb (stupid) question, but there is plenty of room for a dumb (stupid) answer.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

what I should have said is I assumed there was a very good reason for it. If they've got the printshop of their own, it must make sense somehow (or for a few reasons) to outsource it.
Bill D.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

tylermo wrote:Interesting note about Walsworth, or so I'Ve been told...one of my C&C players said one of his school yearbooks was printed by Walsworth. I think TLG should have WW print a company yearbook, complete with company employee photos, a look at the print shop, and little things like..."Stephen Chenault" "Most likely to buy stock in Dr. Pepper".
That is an awesome idea!!!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Relaxo wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:
Relaxo wrote:Dumb question: why send it to another printer when TLG invested in it's own printing shop? is it just too large a quantity at once?
We do and we did. Early on we had some issues with hardbacks, that was largely fixed, but we realized that our rate of production on hardbacks was not large. Taking into account time then it proved cheaper to outsource these bad boys; of course as soon as we did the market shifted and the price of outsourced hardbacks dropped to below what we can do them for in house, which just made us all happy. So now we outsource and deep print the hardcovers like Codex Celtarum.

Thanks!
Steve
I said it was a dumb question. :D
Nope! No dumb question. I would love to bring it back in house, as I like to have everything close at hand.
:)

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

We have a ship date of April 30, it should be in our office 2 business days after that.

Trollzah!
Steve

KentF
Henchman

Post by KentF »

For those of us who were unable to get in on the Kickstart, will digital downloads be available for sale? I'm planning on purchasing a hard copy but would love a digital also.

Thanks,

Kent

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

KentF wrote:For those of us who were unable to get in on the Kickstart, will digital downloads be available for sale? I'm planning on purchasing a hard copy but would love a digital also.

Thanks,

Kent
Absolutely! As soon as the book arrives, we'll begin shipping it out print and pdf. When it goes up on PDF, everyone who kickstarted will get the code from RPGnow and the book will go on sale. The print copy will go on sale the day the last of the kickstarters roll out the door, should be next week.

The posters arrived today. They look fantastic!

Steve

KentF
Henchman

Post by KentF »

Great! Thank you.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

I am so excited to see it and have it, it is bordering on giving me ADHD! I will hold a big gamer party for all of my two decades of play-testers involved in this mega-project!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have the PDF!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Treebore wrote:I have the PDF!
Me too. Looks amazing based on my initial skim thru. Incredible amount of info on the Celtic world, even scholarly. Some fantastic new spells for the casters too, some new classes, great stuff. But holey-moley those NAMES!!! How does one pronounce words like this? YNYS Y CEDYRN??

KentF
Henchman

Post by KentF »

I ordered the pdf last night from RPGNow. It looks fantastic! I can't wait to order a hard copy. Now I just have to see if my CK will allow anything from it for my Elven Druid. :)

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Ynys Y Cedyrn is pronounced 'In-is Eh Ced-urn' by the way!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

dachda wrote:How does one pronounce words like this? YNYS Y CEDYRN??
Isn't it obvious? :lol:

I can offer a few clues, from the Irish at least:
S = sh (as in Sean = "Shawn")
t = th
i = ee
so that Catlin is actually "Kathleen"*
io = i or ee
b or bh = c
so that Siobhán = "Shi-vaun"
(or something)

For the Welch, Scots and any others(and really, the bulk of Irish) I have no clue.

Brian, please correct me if I'm wrong, but "Gaelic" is not a language, but a group of languages, right? like Romance languages, IIRC.

* That said, if you're name is Caitlin and it's "Kate-lynn" I'm not saying you are saying your own name wrong. "Originally" would be a better word than "actually", perhaps.

but anyway, I hope that helps.

also, if you havn't done so, BUY THIS BOOK!
Bill D.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Gaelic is both a language, or languages, and a group, the 'Q' family of surviving Celtic. The Celtic language family at the present has two families: 'P' (Cornish, Welsh and Breton) and the 'Q' (Irish, Manx and Scottish), a once large family that covered almost all of early Europe. Now extinct in its family was Gaulish/Gallic, Lepontic, Celtiberian/Tartessian, Cumbrian, possibly Pictish and Galatian sadly. Most of these, except for those in Spain, were in the P family of the language family.

A quick look at Irish Gaelic pronunciation:

And one for Welsh:

I will definitely need to write a pronunciation guide for everyone! No problem with that, it will also define the language in question too, ideally, so you will know if it is one of the Brythonic (P-Celtic) or Goidelic (Q-Celtic).

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Greetings all,

We hope you have been enjoying the Digital copy of Brian Young's Codex Celtarum. Its a great addition to the C&C family!

We are set to begin shipping the print copies and all the rewards tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. The plan is to have all packages shipped by Friday, we've already packaged about a quarter of them and prepped a good bunch after that. I'll have another update tomorrow. So with luck you'll have this puppy in your hands in the next few days.

Trollzah!
Steve

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Just got the print copy on sale, and it's great. I really like the approach taken to this material. Coming at it from the Welsh perspective is interesting.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com