View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Prime vs Non-Prime 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Prime vs Non-Prime
Ability checks have potentially three categories:
1) "Prime" because the ability references an attribute to which you have as a prime attribute, Ex. Climb (DEX)
2) "Non- Prime" because the ability references an attribute to which you DO NOT have as a prime attribute, Ex. Poison (INT)
3) "Neither" because the ability references NO attribute, Ex. Sneak Attack

I have not seen definitive values to the following ideas/rules. I'd like source and page for definitive rules.

I've heard all class abilities are treated as PRIME for the PC.. could be a house rule, can't believe I cannot find base rule in PH that is crystal clear.

To make this easy to discuss, assume the Challenge Base is 18 and we are adding +6 if its a prime.

So in this first case all three are at +6, +6, +6 to their roll and they can add their level.

Then I've heard only Prime get's +6. So then it would be +6, +0, +0? I'm betting this is closest to right.

Part of me wants to say, keep the character supreme, so +12, +6, +6.. all get at least +6 and PRIME gets to double dip.

So what is it?

I did get my working table to attach.. once we come to a reasonable conclusion on these three we can discuss the secondary skills and out of class ability and skill use...

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:11 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Prime vs Non-Prime
in tabular form.. if I can get an image to attach.

Attachments:
Ability-Skill_Checks.JPG
Ability-Skill_Checks.JPG [ 80.67 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:12 pm
Greater Lore Drake

rest of the footnotes...

Attachments:
Skill_Check_Notes.JPG
Skill_Check_Notes.JPG [ 104.44 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I've got a nice Domesday article on abilities and skills and a sortable searchable table in excel for all abilities and skills.. if anyone wants let me know.

Also, looking for a proof reader too or tester to make sure the article is nice before submitting it.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Greater Lore Drake

no comments? Where's the team work I've grown so used to....

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 am
Greater Lore Drake

Come on guys, I need to know how you treat prime vs non-prime abilities...or point me to the book page that makes it clear.. I cannot find it.

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:44 pm
Red Cap

Captain_K wrote:
I've heard all class abilities are treated as PRIME for the PC.. could be a house rule, can't believe I cannot find base rule in PH that is crystal clear.

It *is* crystal clear. There is no rule that says you do this, therefore you do not. It's a common house rule, however.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm
Greater Lore Drake

So class abilities without prime get no bonus, class abilities without a attribute, no bonus, only those with prime get +6. That said, only class abilities of all types get a level bonus so quickly that makes out of class rolls way behind. logical. I guess I had hear the house rule so many times I expected it to be there some place.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:51 pm
Red Cap

Not hard and fast, but most class abilities use the class prime, so they nearly always get +6, +level, and whatever bonus the ability has.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]