Info on all the different printings?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Hakdov
Mist Elf

Info on all the different printings?

Post by Hakdov »

Is there a post or page somewhere that details the differences between all the various printings of the rulebooks? As someone trying to get back into C&C, it is kind of confusing at this point.

Hakdov
Mist Elf

Re: Info on all the different printings?

Post by Hakdov »

I've found some info. A older post that gives a lot of product data here-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11065&p=255161&hil ... ng#p255161

and probably the best source here at rpggeek-

https://www.rpggeek.com/rpgitem/45710/c ... s-handbook

From that I gather that there have been 3 major alterations between the printings. 1st - 3rd printings are 128 pages. 4th - 5th are 144 pages. That's where we got the new illusionist. 6th - 7th printings are 192 pages. What got added in those?

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

And of course the upcoming 8th printing will add more.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Persimmon wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 pm
And of course the upcoming 8th printing will add more.
More? I don't think i heard that. Do tell.

-Fizz

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

They're moving all the higher level player character stuff from the CKG to the PHB. But then you'll still need the Players Archive and the Adventurers Spellbook to get all the character classes and spells from all the supplements in one place.

Personally, I would have liked one big Players Guide that put all that stuff in one place. Because as it is now, I think you'll still need 3 books if you want all the player content because I don't think the Character Folio & Spellbook will have all the other stuff you currently get in the PHB and ABP. And then, depending upon your monster needs you'll need maybe 3 more books there (M&T, MTA, and TOU). Oh well, such is life.

On the one hand, I love having the whole game in one book, even if it's big. But then I like options, especially more monsters, so it seems like I'm always buying the supplemental stuff anyhow.

Hakdov
Mist Elf

Post by Hakdov »

As for the CK's Guide, what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd printings? The 1st has 292 pages and the second has 352. What got added? And will the 3rd printing be bigger or smaller?

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

When it will be available?

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:47 am
Personally, I would have liked one big Players Guide that put all that stuff in one place.
Makes it bigger and more expensive which makes a bigger barrier to sell to new players = bad marketing

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Not necessarily. Old School Essentials just did it and the price wasn't bad at all. And they kept the smaller books too so there were options. May not be cost effective for TLG, but given that they're always doing multiple sizes and leather versions, etc., I think it could be plausible. And I'm just saying that I'd buy it, given the chance.

Grandpa
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:07 am
Not necessarily.
But, generally true. Now, they COULD do a special as you say via a kickstarter as long as 100% self funded. But the price to make business sense might put you off. Ask the Trolls about it after this summer.