Magic items for C&C, and ways they can be useful, funny,

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Magic items for C&C, and ways they can be useful, funny,

Post by Treebore »

just plain cool!

Please post your magic ideas, such as items, spells, or anything else "magical" you came up with. This is also meant to be a place to discuss usefulness of items or any cool adventuring things that happened because of certain items.

This is initially a thread created for those of us who posted stuff in Ser's website thread to cut and pastes our posts from his threaed to this thread so his thread can be dedicated to websites and this thread can be dedicated to magical creations, their usefulness, and any cool adventures or roleplaying experiences that happened because of them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Here is a copy/paste of my post:

Decanter of Endless Water is still one of my top ten favorite magic items, just because of how useful it is, and helpful to people in games that have droughts or you go into a desert environment. You win over people when you freely hand out 100's of gallons of water to refill all of their containers.

I even had a high level PC who went to a desert area he had visited/discovered way earlier in his career and set up a huge irrigation system using the 5 Decanters of Endless Water he had collected over his adventuring career. It was a very cool RP experience for me. He went there because he was retiring and he had promised these people he would return to help them if the gods allowed him to live long enough. They did, so he came back and retired with these people. Set up a really cool city in the desert kind of thing.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Here is a C&C item I created because in Assault on Blacktooth Ridge my son's character so impressed Neegle through some roleplaying (meaning he impressed me) that she gifted him with the Jesters Helm for making her laugh.

Jesters Helm:

+1 to AC

+2 bonus to all CHA checks, or in the case of my sons character effectively making his CHA a 15.

Sorry Ser, I went looking for where I originally posted this on the TLG website. It wasn't there so it is probably on DF. Anyways, when I find it if it doesn't match I'll just have to come back and edit it again.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That would make me laugh, too. A magic helm that does nothing! Sweet! Hehe. Not even a protection from detect magic.

johns

Post by johns »

Decanter of Endless Water - yeah, I had a whole river in my campaign emerging from a decanter (no, I didn't bother to do the math). The party was the first to discover the source after the river dropped many feet. A villain had discovered the decanter and stolen it.

One of the player's in my game has found many ways to be creative with a rope of climbing, mostly because of its ability to tie itself around things on command.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
Here is a copy/paste of my post:

Decanter of Endless Water is still one of my top ten favorite magic items, just because of how useful it is, and helpful to people in games that have droughts or you go into a desert environment. You win over people when you freely hand out 100's of gallons of water to refill all of their containers.

I even had a high level PC who went to a desert area he had visited/discovered way earlier in his career and set up a huge irrigation system using the 5 Decanters of Endless Water he had collected over his adventuring career. It was a very cool RP experience for me. He went there because he was retiring and he had promised these people he would return to help them if the gods allowed him to live long enough. They did, so he came back and retired with these people. Set up a really cool city in the desert kind of thing.

Dude, brace yourself, point the decanter of endless water at an undead, say "gush" then have a priest consecrate it. Heh, heh.

We also like to drop weapons in the stream and watch them fly at the target with greater force than a swing.

And a guy with a ring of water walking (or a large shield) can surf the stream!

Brian Miller

"Help me, I'm melting!" (Any undead standing in front of a consecrated decanter of endless water.)
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

How about these...
Way-too-comfy-slippers - When worn, the wearer falls asleep, no save.

Goes right along with the way-too-comfy blanket, and way-too-comfy-robe, and of course, the area effect version, the way-too-comfy-couch.

Or how about this one...
Goblin ring - when worn, the ring curses so profusely that any non-golbin in hearing range who understands Goblin must roll a saving throw or be affected by Antipathy. (It's best if the wearer doesn't speak goblin).

Works well in conjuction with this rare relic...
Amplifier - +2 short sword, amplifies all sounds the wearer makes by 10 decibles and causes double damage on a successful hit.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Here's one I made up that's extremly coveted by the players in my campaign (and will be in yours too if you opt to be a generous GM and stick one in a dungeon once a year or so).
Ring of Fatal Strike

All rings of protection +1 have a 3% chance of also being a ring of Fatal Strike in addition to their nomal bonus to ac and saves.

Fatal Strike=ring shatters when the wearer takes an otherwise fatal blow, but the wearer is restored to full hit points instead of dying.

It's rumored that 2% of +2 protection rings are rings of double strike - which absorb 2 fatal blows before shattering. And rarest of all, 1% of +3 protection rings may be a ring of triple strike - absorbing 3 fatal blows before shattering! (I've only given one of these out in 25 years, in a high level dungeon).

And if you think they're too powerful, a killer GM can ensure they don't last very long.
Brian Miller

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I put this in another thread but I think this one is more appropriate.

New Magic Items

Soup Stone

This appears as a normal, unasuming fist sized rock. However when it is place in any ammount of clean water it produces a hearty soup of the same volume as the water. An adventuring party with a cleric or druid will find this item very useful: 1000gp, 250 XP.

Globe of Animal Sanctuary

This fist sized crystal globe is actually an extradimentional space. Inside is a meadow filled with clover and a placid pond. There is a stable filled with fresh hay and hearty oats. This item can be used to place 12HD total of mounts or animal companions. Humaniods and other creatures may not enter this globe. The food, water and air is in infinite supply. The user utters a simple command word to place the desired animal in the globe. A simple command word allows the creature to exit. 2000gp, 500XP.

Monocle of Detection

This items appears to be a simple glass monocle in an brass frame. However when placed to a users eye it enables the wearer to utilized detect magic just as the spell. The item can be used an ulimited number of times per day, but extended use of over 15 minutes causes the wearer to make a Con save (CL 3) or be blinded for 1d6 hours in that eye. 2500gp, 750XP.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Ok, first, you need two simple rings, neither of which is tremendously powerful on its own, but still very useful anyway, but, when brought together, with the right kind of supplement (nonmagical, even) turns into something amazing.

1) Ring of Feather Falling

2) Ring of Jumping

3) Bedsheet

So, you take off with your ring og jumping, leaping as far up as you can. As you start to fall, you open the bedsheet into a sort of parachute, and then glide as far as you want, and the wind can take you. Its sort of a more limited flight.

Now, to make it really fun, get a pillowcase that has been enchanted with Gust of Wind (or you can get one of the Bags of Air), and you'll never have to worry about not having a breeze to keep you aloft.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Here's one I gave to a bunch of thieves that had a lair in a cemetary...
Cursed ring of x-ray vision...reverses the x-ray vision on the wearer, causing them to appear to be a skeleton to anyone who sees them.

No one went near the thieves guild 'cause they were too scared of the "undead". And the priest couldn't understand why every time she tried to turn them, they'd just smack her in the head and say "Care to try again?"

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Get this, my 8 year old daughter surprised us all when she played her "Bo Peep, the little witch", a 7th level halfling wizard.

She had a broom of flying and sped ahead of the party casting web in every cave with monsters she entered, then spider climbed through the room and turboed on to the next encounter...leaving the creatures mad and free to attack by the time the rest of the party got there.

At 8 years old, she made it through the dungeon in record time!

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

serleran wrote:
Ok, first, you need two simple rings, neither of which is tremendously powerful on its own, but still very useful anyway, but, when brought together, with the right kind of supplement (nonmagical, even) turns into something amazing.

1) Ring of Feather Falling

2) Ring of Jumping

3) Bedsheet

So, you take off with your ring og jumping, leaping as far up as you can. As you start to fall, you open the bedsheet into a sort of parachute, and then glide as far as you want, and the wind can take you. Its sort of a more limited flight.

Now, to make it really fun, get a pillowcase that has been enchanted with Gust of Wind (or you can get one of the Bags of Air), and you'll never have to worry about not having a breeze to keep you aloft.

We actually have a player in the party who does that since his character's quirk is that he's obsessed with trying to fly. Pretty funny. And the player (not the character) wraps a beach-blanket around his neck to represent his cape.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I like thaqt cursed ring of x-ray vision. That could be seriously funny, and even useful at times.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
I like thaqt cursed ring of x-ray vision. That could be seriously funny, and even useful at times.

Then add a "ring of coldness" which is the counterpart to a ring of warmth - partially protects the wearer from warmth and gives them a non-harmful cold aura (like an elf would see when it looks at an undead).

The combo fools most characters.

Brian Miller

"Thinking outside the box leads to cool magic items!"

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Rope of Tricks

1. step aim rope at a line of skeletons.

2. command rope to fly between rib cages of skeletons. (I made player make a Dex check to to this)

3. once through skeleton ribs orderrope to tie itselkf with climbing knots. Thw skeletons beome trapped because the knots keep them from moving forward.

4, final step is to move down the rope and kill each skeleton one at time, at your leisure.

This idea was created by a 13 year old, pure genius.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Rope of Tricks

1. step aim rope at a line of skeletons.

2. command rope to fly between rib cages of skeletons. (I made player make a Dex check to to this)

3. once through skeleton ribs orderrope to tie itselkf with climbing knots. Thw skeletons beome trapped because the knots keep them from moving forward.

4, final step is to move down the rope and kill each skeleton one at time, at your leisure.

This idea was created by a 13 year old, pure genius.

Heh, got a vivid mental pic of that one.

Kudos for thinking inside the (rib) cage but outside the box!

Creative applications for standard magic items greatly enhance play.

Give the kid a pat on the head for me and tell him I said he's my kind of gamer.
Brian Miller

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

miller6 wrote:
Here's one I made up that's extremly coveted by the players in my campaign (and will be in yours too if you opt to be a generous GM and stick one in a dungeon once a year or so).
Ring of Fatal Strike

All rings of protection +1 have a 3% chance of also being a ring of Fatal Strike in addition to their nomal bonus to ac and saves.

Fatal Strike=ring shatters when the wearer takes an otherwise fatal blow, but the wearer is restored to full hit points instead of dying.

It's rumored that 2% of +2 protection rings are rings of double strike - which absorb 2 fatal blows before shattering. And rarest of all, 1% of +3 protection rings may be a ring of triple strike - absorbing 3 fatal blows before shattering! (I've only given one of these out in 25 years, in a high level dungeon).

And if you think they're too powerful, a killer GM can ensure they don't last very long.
Brian Miller

I like this, to tone it down I may just allow the ring to negate the damage of the fatal strike, instead of healing the PC. Of couse both could exist in a campaign, with the healing version being quite rare.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Ring of the Rat

This plain looking ring allows the wearer to assume the form of a rat/giant rat 3/day. (AC,HP, BTH, Primes, etc are not affected, although damage would be. All the characters equipment makes the change with him. The ring also allows the wearer a limited form of speak with animals, works only on rodents.

I put this in a campaign years ago and my players had a blast with it. All but one party member was aware of the ring and its powers, and they passed it amongst themselves for several months until the one player, not aware of the ring, was convinced he was in a party of wererats.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Maliki wrote:
I like this, to tone it down I may just allow the ring to negate the damage of the fatal strike, instead of healing the PC. Of couse both could exist in a campaign, with the healing version being quite rare.

The full healing versions are indeed extremely rare (I give out about 1 per real year). I've used the toned-down version as well (that shatters after negating only the damage of the fatal shot) and give higher percentages for finding those (2% of +3, 4% of +2, 6% of +1 protection rings.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Maliki wrote:
Ring of the Rat

I put this in a campaign years ago and my players had a blast with it. All but one party member was aware of the ring and its powers, and they passed it amongst themselves for several months until the one player, not aware of the ring, was convinced he was in a party of wererats.

Now that's funny.
Gotta try that in my campaign.

Brian Miller

Colin Chapman

Post by Colin Chapman »

Yep, the Decanter of Endless Water is insanely useful. On RPG.net recently there was a brilliant thread on the usefulness and sheer mind-boggling utility of the Immovable Rod, how it was useful for climbing, restraining pretty much anything, swinging from rod to rod like a monkey through the air, creating instantly collapsible constructions, etc. Great stuff.

I remember with joy, when our group managed to identify a Helm of Opposite Alignment, and the fun the party had restraining an ogre and slapping it on his head. Viola, instant new party member.
I also remember the evil use to which one group I was running a game for, put the Cube of Force to use, entraping a vampire in it along with an air elemental and earth elemental they'd summoned to beat the vamp. The vamp couldn't flee, was beaten by the earth elemental when material, and beaten by the air elemental when immaterial. The group stood laughing as the vamp got trounced. Fun times.

One recent magical item I whipped up for use in a game was "Gideon Thorne's Golden Quill" (yep, named after you-know-who, and even mentioned in the description of the "Locate Object" spell I wrote for the PHB). It's a magnificent bejewelled golden quill that causes the pictures drawn with it to come t life (effectively acting somewhat like summon and create object spells, more charges being used o "create" more powerful monsters, etc.)

cheers!

Colin

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Nice ideas/creations! That Ring of the Rat is going to have to be used the next time I run a Ravenloft campaign or just I6. That quil of Gideon is very cool as well!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

This one opens the door for many possibilities.
Reversible robe (+1 protection when worn brown side out, blending when worn green side out).

and I just like this one...
Dog whistle of werewolf summoning (but not control)

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That is a good idea too.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just copying Combat Kyle's magic item to this thread:

It would be cool to sticky this thread but at least I can get it started. Here is a magic item I have in my game, they are made for totem warriors of barbarian tribes, but anyone can use them. There is only one of each type.

Totem Amulet

The simple peice of jewlery appears to be a wooden carving of a animal on a leather strap. If its true nature if found this item grants the user basic protection and the ability to shapeshift.The amulet grants the user +1 to AC and +1 to saving throws. It also allows the wearer to shapeshift into the totem animal depicted in the carving. All items and equipement merge with the character during the transofrmation. The character polymorphs into an animal with the standard stats of that species. This special ability is usable 3/day.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Cursed candy necklace - has 10d6 small candies on a string. Once put on, it can't be taken off without a remove curse. When worn, the wearer must save every round or eat a candy. Each candy does 1 point damage from sugar shock.

Brian Miller

"Candy magic - the sweetest school of magic."

Colin Chapman

Post by Colin Chapman »

miller6 wrote:
Cursed candy necklace - has 10d6 small candies on a string. Once put on, it can't be taken off without a remove curse. When worn, the wearer must save every round or eat a candy. Each candy does 1 point damage from sugar shock.

Heh. What you really need is a sugar necklace that provides the benefits of Haste; call it the Sugar Rush Necklace.
cheers!

Colin