Seriously whats up with the +(number) with monster xp?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Re: Seriously whats up with the +(number) with monster xp?

Post by Sir Ironside »

Lord Dynel wrote:This is why I don't think I could ever be a teacher. :lol: That's not a dig at you, Iron. It's one of those cases where I see it perfectly but you don't. And I'm like, "It's right there!!" :P
If I was a teacher I'd probably be fired after the first day. :D
I think a lot of C&C (think "equipment section" ;)) assumes that the player has some prior RPG knowledge.
I have decades of rpg knowledge and I couldn't see it.
I guess I think the examples work just fine, for me, because my reasoning is that whether you have a monster you whip up yourself or one listed in the book, you still have an A xp + B xp/hp formula. Since the examples tell you what to do with that second number it seems clear to me. No, they don't literally say "this is the number after the "+" but they both say "plus X experience per hit point" - it seems clear to me. I don't want to come off like I'm so superior intellect or anything, so my apologies if I am.
No you don't. Though I'd like to challenge you to a DJ competition. ;)
In my opinion, I think a couple things ought to be explained (or clarified) in a new printing:
1) How to calculate XP for monsters properly: A xp + B xp/hp and what that means.
2) That the XPs for the individual creatures listed in the book are complete and no work needs to be done on them.
3) The chart for "determining your own XP" are for your own creatures and how to use it.
4) The chart for "determining your own XP" doesn't always, 100% of the time, work for monsters already in the book. in other words, they don't always "reverse engineer."
I understand it now. You did do a good job at explaining it. Maybe it would be apparent to some newbies, but reading between the lines is not the best way to introduce a rule. I guess reading between the lines isn't the proper thing to say, as the rule is right there. The confusion for me was, the way it was written and the statement that the monster entries were the average made the monster entries fluid when it came to awarding xp. Then my assumption was that the extra xp (Didn't help that the chart says "Per HP" and the "Experience Per hit point" both use "per" which makes one assume that the "per hp" is rolled into the stat of the monster xp. That was what really confused me. It wasn't apparent you separate the two.

I think a more clear wording would eliminate that.

Now that I get it, it is easier to add the +(number) to the monster stat then the original.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DJ Dizzy Wheelz vs. MCLD.

It's time to bust a move.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

koralas wrote:My additon - 8 attacks - Special II (note this is different from the RAKE ability since those are all automatic hits, the Attacks section shows a Bite, Slam, and 6 Talons(1d6 EACH)
Ok, so here is something that I haven't been clear on now that you mention it. Does a monster get all the attacks listed after the Attacks in a single 10 second round or do they just get one attack that the CK chooses. I've always played it as the later - choosing one of the those attacks per round.

In the case of the Behir, a successful Slam attack in Round 1, would lead to a Rake in round 2. That is what was driving me listing the Special as is. So what is the correct answer here?

By the way, this has been a great thread so far!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TheMetal1 wrote:Ok, so here is something that I haven't been clear on now that you mention it. Does a monster get all the attacks listed after the Attacks in a single 10 second round or do they just get one attack that the CK chooses. I've always played it as the later - choosing one of the those attacks per round.
They get all of the attacks listed in their profile in the same round. The the creature has 3 attacks, it can attack 3 times in the same round in which it moved up to the PC.

This is because monsters are built under a different set of assumptions than PCs.

At least, this is how the author of the Monsters & Treasures book described how it should work. The description in the M&T might be a little vague on this point.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Omote wrote:
TheMetal1 wrote:Ok, so here is something that I haven't been clear on now that you mention it. Does a monster get all the attacks listed after the Attacks in a single 10 second round or do they just get one attack that the CK chooses. I've always played it as the later - choosing one of the those attacks per round.
They get all of the attacks listed in their profile in the same round. The the creature has 3 attacks, it can attack 3 times in the same round in which it moved up to the PC.

This is because monsters are built under a different set of assumptions than PCs.

At least, this is how the author of the Monsters & Treasures book described how it should work. The description in the M&T might be a little vague on this point.

~O
+1

Add to this that if the attacks section has the word or in it, then you have to select the attack type or set of attacks.

Examples -

Attacks: Bite (1d6+1), 2 Claws (1d4)
The creature can take all of those attacks.

Attacks: Punch (1d4, Kick (1d6) or Melee Weapon (+2)
The creature can punch and kick, or attack with a weapon with +2 on damage

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, I think I'll have a few more dead PCs! Most Excellent.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

TheMetal1 wrote:Well, I think I'll have a few more dead PCs! Most Excellent.
DOH!

I can hear the CK cackle now...

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

koralas wrote:
TheMetal1 wrote:Well, I think I'll have a few more dead PCs! Most Excellent.
DOH!

I can hear the CK cackle now...
Did I type that? I thought that was my inside typing voice?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sir Ironside wrote: I understand it now. You did do a good job at explaining it. Maybe it would be apparent to some newbies, but reading between the lines is not the best way to introduce a rule. I guess reading between the lines isn't the proper thing to say, as the rule is right there. The confusion for me was, the way it was written and the statement that the monster entries were the average made the monster entries fluid when it came to awarding xp. Then my assumption was that the extra xp (Didn't help that the chart says "Per HP" and the "Experience Per hit point" both use "per" which makes one assume that the "per hp" is rolled into the stat of the monster xp. That was what really confused me. It wasn't apparent you separate the two.

I think a more clear wording would eliminate that.

Now that I get it, it is easier to add the +(number) to the monster stat then the original.
Why, thank you sir! I agree that reading between the lines isn't the best way, and they should clarify it a bit.
Sir Ironside wrote:No you don't. Though I'd like to challenge you to a DJ competition. ;)
Omote wrote:DJ Dizzy Wheelz vs. MCLD.

It's time to bust a move.

~O
:lol:

:|

My skills would blow your freakin' mind.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.