AC / Dex bonus for monsters

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
kreider204
Unkbartig

AC / Dex bonus for monsters

Post by kreider204 »

Okay, so a PC's AC is adjusted by his DEX bonus, unless he's being attacked unaware, etc., in which case he doesn't get his DEX bonus.

What if a PC attacks an unaware monster? I assume some monsters' ACs reflect DEX rather than just brute physical toughness, but it's not as though the monster books indicate a specific DEX bonus. Should I just ignore that rule? Or make a wild guess about the monster's DEX bonus and subtract it from the AC

Thoughts?

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: AC / Dex bonus for monsters

Post by Omote »

Since monsters do not follow the same mechanical construction method as PCs, there is no bonus to AC from a monster's DEX score. Refer to page 131 of the 4th printing of the PHB for "Situational Modifiers."

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The benefit for being surprised is also that the group that successfully surprises gets one free round of attacks. That could be considered benefit enough.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Use the creatures # of HD as a modifier. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Player's Handbook, under Combat Maneuvers, pg. 133 wrote: REAR ATTACK
An attack to the rear of an opponent gives the attacker a +2 bonus to hit. The rogue and assassin do not get this in addition to their back attack
bonus, as it is already considered in their class abilities.
So, I'd just give 'em +2 to hit. This reflects the loss of ability to react to the blow. I'd say an unaware monster would be at least equally unable to react to the blow as one being attacked from behind.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I don't tend to give monsters any of the special advantages that PCs get. I often don't give those benefits to NPCs, either, unless they happen to be the Big Baddun. I guess, in my mind, getting AC bonuses and such is part of what makes the PC better than the rest of us. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'd give the players a +2 to attack were they to surprise a monster. Seems easy enough.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Interesting thoughts so far.

I like the simplicity of using the rear attack +2 rule from the PHB. But then it seems as though PCs are doubly penalized when they are attacked from the rear - the attacker gets the +2 AND the PCs lose their DEX bonus ...

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

kreider204 wrote:Interesting thoughts so far.

I like the simplicity of using the rear attack +2 rule from the PHB. But then it seems as though PCs are doubly penalized when they are attacked from the rear - the attacker gets the +2 AND the PCs lose their DEX bonus ...
In a word, yes. It's the hard, unfair life of the PC. If the CK feels strongly about it, then he or she can randomize or grant a dexterity value - but I wouldn't personally scratch that deeply for a mere sense of "fairness" or PC/monster rules continuity. It's simpler (and faster!) to take a +2 and move on. Most PCs wouldn't have much of a Dex modifier to surrender anyway, if they really rolled 3d6 for their stats. ;)
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Hey, the CKG allows 4d6! ;)

I gotta be honest: I often forget to nullify the DEX bonus, and I always have, all the way back to my 1st ed. days. Honestly, I think I'm okay with that, though. Even when attacked from the rear, it seems to me DEX could still apply - reflexively rolling with the punch, etc. I think the only time I couldn't rationalize keeping the DEX mod is when the target is completely unconscious or immobile, and then I'm likely to allow an automatic hit anyway ...

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

kreider204 wrote:Interesting thoughts so far.

I only drop the Dex bonus if the PC is unaware of the attacker/attack or, they are in hand to hand with someone in front of them at the time.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules