Olden Lands Map Scale

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
jamesmishler
Ulthal

Olden Lands Map Scale

Post by jamesmishler »

Right now I have the scale of the map set at 75 miles per large hex, to be broken into nine regional maps with 25-mile hexes, each to be further broken down into 25 area maps with 5-mile hexes.

I noted the option for the buyer to go with 90-mile/30-mile/6-mile maps instead, if they prefer 6-mile hexes for their sandboxes.

However, the thought struck me that I could go with 90/30/10, breaking the continent map into nine region maps with 30-mile hexes and each region map into nine area maps with 10-mile hexes...

This different option makes it far more likely that I will be able to get all maps done... that would be a total of 81 area maps with 10-mile hexes rather than 225 area maps with 5-mile hexes. What do you all think?

At this point all I'd need to do is change the scale on the Map 00: Olden Lands Continental Map, as I'm still working on the Region maps...

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Olden Lands Map Scale

Post by Treebore »

Do the 10 mile scale. Seems like a no brainer to me, far less work means far more likely to get done.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Treebore wrote:Do the 10 mile scale. Seems like a no brainer to me, far less work means far more likely to get done.
+1

Dungeoneer
Mist Elf

Post by Dungeoneer »

The 10-mile scale sounds fine to me. I echo Treebore's sentiments.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:Do the 10 mile scale. Seems like a no brainer to me, far less work means far more likely to get done.
Yep.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Thanks guys! Pretty much just confirms my own thoughts... I'll get the maps with the modified scale up on DTRPG once I get the chance...

How have these worked for you all, BTW? I have not had a chance to print them off myself, but I think from the scale they should print off pretty well at the 20" x 14" size with decent resolution... has anyone tried this yet?

Oh, and the black borders... is that too much? Should I go with a white border with black text to save on ink for those who want to print the maps out? I think it looks better with the black border and white text, but for inks sake... hmmm...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I haven't printed them out yet, mainly because my printer only does standard sized paper. I'll give it a try at some point to see how it looks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, white borders. Been fine with that ever since they had Darlene do the Greyhawk maps.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I printed out a copy of the map on standard 81/2x11 paper. Way to tiny to read the info. However, my printer can print posters out of PDFs, by printing a quarter of the PDF at a time on a full sheet of paper. So I turned the maps into PDFs and will test it out tonight.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Rigon wrote:I printed out a copy of the map on standard 81/2x11 paper. Way to tiny to read the info. However, my printer can print posters out of PDFs, by printing a quarter of the PDF at a time on a full sheet of paper. So I turned the maps into PDFs and will test it out tonight.

R-
Please let us know how the poster print out works. My setup can do the same.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dachda wrote:
Rigon wrote:I printed out a copy of the map on standard 81/2x11 paper. Way to tiny to read the info. However, my printer can print posters out of PDFs, by printing a quarter of the PDF at a time on a full sheet of paper. So I turned the maps into PDFs and will test it out tonight.

R-
Please let us know how the poster print out works. My setup can do the same.
Will do.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just did a test run. It printed out on 6 sheets. With a little bit of tinkering (getting rid of edges and what nots), I think that this will turn out a fairly nice looking map in the 17x20 inch range. Which is very easy to read.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

jamesmishler wrote:Oh, and the black borders... is that too much? Should I go with a white border with black text to save on ink for those who want to print the maps out? I think it looks better with the black border and white text, but for inks sake... hmmm...
I would definitely go with a white border. Much easier on my printer.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Thanks for the feedback, Rigon! When I get a chance I'll re-set the scale to 90 miles/hex and redesign the pages to have a white border rather than black.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

jamesmishler wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Rigon! When I get a chance I'll re-set the scale to 90 miles/hex and redesign the pages to have a white border rather than black.
No problem James, keep churning out the good work.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads