How is advancement handled in your campaign?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
vivsavage
Red Cap

How is advancement handled in your campaign?

Post by vivsavage »

Tell us how your campaign handles experience points and advancement. Do you receive XP for treasure? Do you split XP evenly? Does your CK simply tell you when it is time to advance, rather than track XP?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Re: How is advancement handled in your capping?

Post by Julian Grimm »

I used to do the treasure and monster XP but now I go with awards based on 'mission objectives' and bonuses based on how the players handle a situation. I have found it gives the players some direction and it makes more sense than having to kill and loot to get a level.

For example the next adventure I will be running has the following XP awards:

* Adventure completion: 200XP

* Each prisoner rescued: 50XP

* War Chest Taken: 150XP

* Lost Ranger Rescued: 300XP

* Enemy Maps Found: 150XP

* Reduce Enemy Force Numbers Significantly: 300XP

As you can see the only award they are guaranteed is the Adventure Completion the rest are bonuses based on their actions.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I award XP for killing things, recovering treasure, and story bonuses. I divide magic treasure XP evenly rather than awarding it to the party member that gets the magic item. For magic items that are sold rather than used, I award XP based on the sale price rather than the standard XP the party would receive for using the item. I generally split the XP evenly amongst the PCs unless only some of the PCs participated. For example, if one PC fights a duel with an NPC, only that PC would get the XP for the fight. On the other hand, if the party encounters a monster as a group and one PC kills the monster with a single blow before any other PCs have a chance to do anything, I would split that XP since the entire party was at least theoretically involved in the encounter.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Monster XP, goal completion XP, magic item XP (given only to the PC who 1st successfully uses it in a "situation"), no leveling mid dungeon/adventuring.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: How is advancement handled in your campaign?

Post by Treebore »

I've done it one of two ways, first is "by the book", XP for monsters, loot, etc... For the campaign I have been running for about 2 years now, I level them as needed for the module I am running, or about to run.

So when I started this I had two modules that were for levels 1 to 3, so I awarded them those levels at what I considered to be the "right" moment within those adventures. The next set of modules covered levels 4 to 8, so I leveled them at the appropriate moments (as I judged them to be) over the course of those modules, and I have had them at level 8/9 for the Slavelords "A" series so far, and am thinking I will keep them there for the rest of the modules as well. Next will be Tegal Manor and Expedition to Barrier Peaks.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

I hand out a nice round number of XP at the end of a session based on, well, everything at that happened and the pace that's needed to keep the characters progressing for what I have in mind down the road.

I use the one week/level for training to advance, which may or may not require seeking out an instructor or appropriate facilities and may or may not cost money.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We don't use experience points.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I usually do xps for treasure, defeating obsticles (including monsters), good roleplaying, and story awards.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

When running a standard "D&D" style game (basic, no frills C&C), I use XP by the book: gain 1 point per gp value of treasure, and gain points per monsters slain. I also add "session XP" bonuses for moving the story forward, and "end of story arc" XP bonuses.

With my C&C Conan, which was very episodic and wealth came and went like water, that would not work. everyone gained 1 level per adventure from 1st to 6th level. That changed to 1 level every 2 adventures for 7th through 9th level. Finally it became 1 level every 3 adventures for 10th-12th level.

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

ThrorII wrote:With my C&C Conan, which was very episodic and wealth came and went like water
Which reminds me, in an old D&D game, instead of XP for treasure, it was XP for money spent on training. That 1,000 GP in your extra-dimensional pocket didn't make you more experienced, but handing it over to a master swordsman for some lessons would.

We stayed pretty poor in that game. ;)

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I give experience for monsters and gold (1/gp value) and the character using a magic item or taking possession of it, gets the experience for that. As for the training time, that is always a big problem. Many times the party will be deep in some delve or in route to some far off castle, when the experience points become enough to level. Then 1 week per level gained? Sometimes what the party is into, would just be like throwing an anchor over the rail at top speed.

So where does a rogue go for training? An assassin? If you are far fro home, finding a friendly assassin's guild on the corner, is just so implausible. Sometimes it just makes sense to just level them up without the training. I just have never (even since AD&D) handled this well.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Was doing it btb for a while. But for that last couple of years, I figure out how many sessions it will take to complete the piece of narrative arc that we're on, (usually between 3 and 6). I then divide the amount of XP needed to level for each class (give or take a bit) and award that much XP to each player. They haven't figured it out yet, but they pretty much all level together and roughly at the end of each major story completion. It feels so natural to level that way that nobody cares or notices that it's not "correct".
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

in the games I play and the campaign I run XP is awarded for killing monsters, moving the story along, completing adventures and for excellent roleplay, whther its for some quick witty amazing comment, or a character has a revelation that is well outside the normal scope of knowledge, stuff like that.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

Just Jeff wrote:
ThrorII wrote:With my C&C Conan, which was very episodic and wealth came and went like water
Which reminds me, in an old D&D game, instead of XP for treasure, it was XP for money spent on training. That 1,000 GP in your extra-dimensional pocket didn't make you more experienced, but handing it over to a master swordsman for some lessons would.

I've never gotten behind "training" for levels. You just level up once you get back to town.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Mostly by the book. I try to do experoience points between each adventure (in this case, the A series). Sometimes I question xp for treasure, but haven't stopped doing it so far. I have been using the two week period between leveling, as well.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I have done it by the book with additional xp for roleplaying, reaching a major point in the adventure, and so on. But like Tree, I started giving enough xp to simply level them when it was appropriate to the story. For campaigns that I ran rarely, for those folks I seldom see, then that was as often as every session, with the end of the campaign wrapping up in 9-10 sessions. I think it all depends on the style of game you run, how often you meet up, and what the goals are for the campaign. I have played with groups that are very uncomfortable with roleplaying, narrative, or story arcs...they play a very dry game with little talking and a lot of dice rolling. XP by the book was of utmost importance to these guys. On the other hand, my story heavy gaming with lots of roleplaying and house rules can rub some folks the wrong way too. Just different strokes for different folks I guess.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I plan on making my players train to level up, but I'll only require one week regardless of the level. I mainly want the training as a way to bleed off some cash and keep the PCs hungry for adventure. A frequently-poor adventurer is a good adventurer.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Buttmonkey wrote:I plan on making my players train to level up, but I'll only require one week regardless of the level. I mainly want the training as a way to bleed off some cash and keep the PCs hungry for adventure. A frequently-poor adventurer is a good adventurer.
This is akin to what I've read by EGG on various boards (RJK's, DF, and EN World, IIRC).
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I award XP by the book, but with additional XP give for uncovering plot points, and certain heroic/RP reasons. I award some additional XP in the way Palladium Books games does things. I also give the option to let the PCs train or not. Training provides it's own benefits, but if the character needs to level up on the fly, then they loose the benefits provided by training. All players track their own XP.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I don't really have strict guidelines. I count monsters slain or defeated, Milestones in the story, Good roleplaying, Involvement in the story/game. I often divide up and give XP out evenly. Then give out bonuses for going above and beyond in one of those areas.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

ThrorII wrote:
Just Jeff wrote:Which reminds me, in an old D&D game, instead of XP for treasure, it was XP for money spent on training. That 1,000 GP in your extra-dimensional pocket didn't make you more experienced, but handing it over to a master swordsman for some lessons would.

I've never gotten behind "training" for levels. You just level up once you get back to town.
That wasn't training for levels. It was training for XP. We received normal XP for defeating enemies, but nothing for treasure unless it was spent on training.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

So what do you charge for training? Is it a set amount per level?

I can see a fighter of knight needing training, as well as a monk, wizard, illusionist, etc. But a rogue? And, at some point I would think that a knight may be unable to find anyone to train them. A wizard the same. At what level are you so high that YOU are the world master or at least the highest level in the area?

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Snoring Rock wrote:So what do you charge for training? Is it a set amount per level?

I can see a fighter of knight needing training, as well as a monk, wizard, illusionist, etc. But a rogue? And, at some point I would think that a knight may be unable to find anyone to train them. A wizard the same. At what level are you so high that YOU are the world master or at least the highest level in the area?
I'm playing a game in Greyhawk setting, and while we don't have to train to level, actually don't think we can train and even if we could my character is too poor to afford it, anyways back on topic, our GM being a real fan of the old school and having played D&D for years included the circle of 8 in our campaign and other notable characters from the D&D history that he knows. So we have characters that so high up in level that it wont be till our characters have reached legendary status till we would no longer be able to be trained by them.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I think of training, in a town, city, farmstead, or where ever as more of a reflective journey the character takes to enhance his skills. Of course, if the character is training with mercs, soldiery, or with a mentor the benefits of training can be even greater. If the PCs train for a number of weeks equal to the level that they attain, I let the PCs roll two HD rolls for HP and let them take the better result. This costs 100 GP per level to be trained to in most cases. I also let the PCs attempt to increase certain stats when training as well. The PCs can only attempt an increase in a certain number of areas, and success is not guaranteed. For other stats and benefits (like a new skill/s), the PC has to spend and even longer amount of time training. Also, for these extended benefits the PC must train at a place that has other members of their class willing to train them (settlement, city, etc.). In fact, the larger the training center (city versus a settlement, or a army encampment versus a farmstead with ye-old-farmer-who-used-to-be-a-soldier-long-ago) the more types of benefits that can be attempted to be gained from training.

It's been a fun experiment to see what the PCs can do to train. It's also turns out to be a bit more power gamey than usual. The players seem to love it. Plus, it gives the players the metagame in their mind to advance a level on the spot and gain the benefits now, or wait until they can train properly at a later time.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Snoring Rock wrote:So what do you charge for training? Is it a set amount per level?

I charge 1,000 gp per current level to train to the next level. For example, training from 5th to 6th level costs 5,000 gp.

I haven't picked a level at which finding a trainer is no longer required. I assume I will go with something equivalent to name level from 1E. At that point, the PC can self-train. Probably somewhere around 10th level is my guess. I'm not going to worry about it until it comes up in play and that will be awhile.

I don't see why a rogue would be exempt. If a fighter needs training to be better at combat, a rogue will need training to pick trickier locks, detect and disarm trickier traps, etc.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I see your point but most 'Rogues", not all, prefer to work alone. Why would you divulge your secrets to the competition? I do like Omote's idea though. Training can take on the form of formal training, personal study, or even reviewing experience. I like to think that you take time to regroup, go over your notes and take a self assessment. That could cost 100gp per level. You can add to that, the cost of learning advantages from the CKG if you use those. You could go as far as to granted abilities from Gods & Monsters. Have them pay an extra 100gp per level to gain those abilities when they are available.

I think once you are a master (level of name as in AD&D) that you can forego training. At that point I may only require the time allotted to rest and train for granted abilities or advantages.

I am getting some really nice ideas from this thread.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Snoring Rock wrote:I see your point but most 'Rogues", not all, prefer to work alone. Why would you divulge your secrets to the competition?
Classically, crime is organized. Thieves' Guilds and whatnot. Rogues divulge their secrets for three reasons: 1. they get paid (hence training costs); 2. it strengthens the Guild; and 3. the Guild requires them to train lower-level rogues. Outside of a Guild context, high level rogues might still train lower-level rogues because it is lucrative. Plus, nothing says the trainer will give up all of her secrets, just enough to bump the rogue up a level. In any event, I think training to improve a skill like open locks would presumably be difficult without a teacher. The rogue would need to acquire lots of different kinds of locks and then waste a lot of time on trial and error. A trainer (especially a guild) would have an inventory of lots of locks to work with and the ability to speed the learning process considerably through teaching.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Hm...Maybe. As a thief I may pose as a locksmith and learn from a master lock smith. I may work with local window washers to learn better climbing skills. I may practise alone on a dumby laced with bells to improve my pick pocket skllls.

Yes, crime can be organized. Not all of it. There is no hard and fast rule. Maybe you are part of a guild, maybe not. Membership in a guild has its drawbacks as well. This depends on who is the CK, the player, what world, wherem when, etc, etc.

This one goes either way. It just depends.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote: Classically, crime is organized. Thieves' Guilds and whatnot.
Only in the large cities. If an adventuring rogue doesn't go to them... More likely picks up tips & tricks from others he meets while traveling around.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I went from using a universal Thieves' guild to using different gangs and organized crime syndicates. In the bigger cities this especially seems more realistic than having one guild to rule them all. In smaller towns there would be one or two factions vying for power and in villages there would just be loose knit groups operating, many of them in local government.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06