classless C&C?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

classless C&C?

Post by Fizz »

Has anyone tried a classless version of C&C?

For the last few weeks, i was involved in a Savage Worlds game. While i do prefer C&C overall as a system, i found it quite nifty to be able to build my character without the constraint of a class (no automatic powers at each level- it's up to me to determine how my character improves, etc).

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

-Fizz

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: classless C&C?

Post by alcyone »

I personally think it begs too much of the system; I'd just play Savage Worlds if that was what I wanted to play. Here are some ideas though.

If you look at Crusader's Companion at the Class Construction rules, you'll see the class features by level broken out. Instead of an XP cost, assign a point cost and establish a relative starting power. You could also add skills and advantages from the CKG.

For each level of an ability, skill, or advantage, you could put a step toward its prime, maybe using something like +0/+3/+6 and divorcing those from ability scores.

Then adopt a mana system like the one in the CKG and combine all of the spell lists.

Monsters will still have HD unless you do something about them, but that's probably ok.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

My first thought is, "Instead of converting, why not just play Savage Worlds Fantasy?" I'm not saying that to be snarky, I mean it sincerely. Savage Worlds is a great system, and if you enjoyed it, why re-invent the wheel? Get the Savage Worlds Fantasy book and off you go. :)
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

redwullf wrote:My first thought is, "Instead of converting, why not just play Savage Worlds Fantasy?" I'm not saying that to be snarky, I mean it sincerely. Savage Worlds is a great system, and if you enjoyed it, why re-invent the wheel? Get the Savage Worlds Fantasy book and off you go. :)
Well, i'm not even thinking of "converting" anything really. The classless system of SW (which i'd never played before) simply got me wondering whether a classless system could work in C&C. It doesn't have to be SW's system.

-Fizz

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

Our old D&D game devolved into a pseudo-classless system without levels, and a similar approach might work for C&C. Basically, as their characters' levels got higher, some of the players got frustrated with the long wait for a new level and then--poof!--everything goes up. So they broke down level advancement into parts--hit points, saving throws, attack bonus, class abilities, etc.--and scattered these advances throughout each level. Smaller but more frequent improvements.

From there it didn't take much tinkering before everything was broken down into what were essentially skills that could be bought with XP. There were hefty upfront time investments required for some things, like learning to cast wizard spells, but the spell slots and the ability to cast level N spells were just skills to be purchased. (I believe hit points were purchased in 4hp+con blocks, which I thought made the con bonus too important.)

It still felt like D&D, but there were some significant changes, many for the good. For example, my character was a spy who spent a lot of time on solo adventures in bad places. With no backup, a lot of saving throws become save or die. The character was already name level when we started using the new system, so instead of continuing to advance the character more or less evenly, I poured XP into advancing saving throws, eventually maxing them out. Along the way I also upped his hit points from 40-something to 70. Made me feel a lot better about all that time spent alone behind enemy lines. He wasn't nearly as powerful as the other PCs, but he was very tough, which meshed nicely with his character.

These days I wouldn't bother. I play C&C because it's a reasonably elegant approach to an old-time feel. For everything else I use Fudge.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have posted, at least, three different classless methods on these forums over the years. How they stack against Savage Worlds I've no idea as I don't own, or want to, that game.

But, yes, it is entirely possible and very simple to do.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

You could use Star SIEGE for a classless version of C&C, which I've thought about doing just to see how it would work out.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007