Chase Rules

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Chase Rules

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

First, I'd like to start by saying Thank You to everyone who helps out by answering my many questions here. I'm on so many different game boards, but this really is by far the friendliest and most helpful. I don't always reply to every reply, but I always read them all.

Now I'm asking about chase rules. My copy of the PHB doesn't have them. I don't have a CKG, so I don't know if there's any in there or not.

So how do you handle chases? I've never had one, but I have an idea for one I'd like to throw in if the players bite, but I have no idea how to run it if they do.

If they do, it will start on foot, and assuming they're not caught and captured before they can get to a mount, then it will continue on mounts (not necessarily horses, but not flyers at this point).

Thanks again, everyone!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Chase Rules

Post by Go0gleplex »

I don't believe there are any. Basically movement vs movement and maybe disengagement from combat or something thrown in. But not ever really had it come up in all the time gaming, which is no small number.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I don't recall anything official. I just look at certain factors, like who has the better DEX, STR and CON? If it involves climbing, going over obstacles, etc... DEX and STR are very important. IF its a matter of being able to flat out outrun whomever, I look at CON, for the Stamina to do it, and at relative DEX, to see who is inherently faster at running. If things are basically even, I leave it to a Check using whichever stat I feel is most relevant. CL=Hd of "opponent".

I also give thieves and Assassins an edge in cities/towns, and Druids and Rangers the edge in the forests and other "natural" settings. Monks usually beat everyone. Except other Monks. Or Druids, when its in rough natural terrain.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So for Chases, I like to use Paizo's Pathfinder Chase Cards, there are two decks out you can pick up for about $11.00 a pack.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8yst?Game ... Cards-Deck
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8z70?Path ... ot-Pursuit

They have a good selection of Urban, Dungeon and Rural and the mechanic is pretty simple. The challenge (a minor one at that) is the Cards are set up to use Paizo Skills, where C&C doesn't use skills rather straight up ability (or class ability) and it uses the d20 Difficulty Level instead of Challenge Rating.

Because C&C is d20 based, this is quite easy enough fix to switch to ability or class skills on the fly and guess the challenge level for an event and you have a fast paced visual chase mechanic.

You can also read about how to create you own Chases using the mechanic from the Pathfinder SRD
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/o ... les/chases

Crafty Games, the makers of SpyCraft (a great espionage RPG) and FantasyCraft, a d20 D&D Varient have a chase mechanic that is fun too. It's designed for Spycraft, but easy to adapt for your own game regardless of genre. The rules for it are in a dedicated chapter of the Spycraft RPG Book but here is an overview along with the free pdf with cards to use for their chase mechanic.

http://www.crafty-games.com/files/File/ ... rds_v2.pdf
There are seven steps to chases, which are explained in broad strokes here and then in detail in the following sections. These seven steps continue in cycles until the chase ends — either with the crash or escape of one of the vehicles.

Step 1: Choose Maneuvers Each vehicle (or group of vehicles) secretly chooses a maneuver from the list offered. Each maneuver has strengths and weaknesses, and is usually geared toward a specific goal.

Step 2: Maneuver Checks The drivers make an opposed maneuver check with their respective vehicle skills, applying their vehicles’ handling ratings as modifiers to their rolls.

Step 3: Spend Action Dice Each driver may spend action dice to increase his maneuver check, or activate critical successes or failures.

Step 4: Resolve Maneuvers and Adjust Lead The effects of the maneuver which succeeds is applied and the number of lengths between the vehicles is adjusted.

Step 5: Lead & Obstacles The lead determines which maneuvers both drivers may take in the next round of the chase. The GC rolls for obstacles.

Step 6: Other Actions Assuming the chase continues, each passenger of each vehicle in the chase may perform one full action or two half actions. A driver may perform one half action, but receives a –4 penalty to his next maneuver check if he does so.

Step 7: Crash Rolls (if any) If warranted, drivers check to see if they have collided with anything.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

KeyIXTheHermit wrote:
Now I'm asking about chase rules. My copy of the PHB doesn't have them. I don't have a CKG, so I don't know if there's any in there or not.
I handle the same way I've since AD&D. I look at base speed, Dex & Con if the chase lasts for than a minute or two. I have rolls made against attributes based on the particular circumstances. Each situation is going to be unique. I have never seen rules for this that are even 1% adequate.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Andrew
Mist Elf

Post by Andrew »

There is actually a good rule set up for chases in I think the 2nd edition AD&D DM's guide. It used STR checks to run faster and CON checks to see about maintaining that speed. I'll try to find it and post it.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Andrew wrote:There is actually a good rule set up for chases in I think the 2nd edition AD&D DM's guide. It used STR checks to run faster and CON checks to see about maintaining that speed. I'll try to find it and post it.
If you can, please do! I actually have TSR's AD&D 2e Guide, but only the earlier blue logo versions, not the later red logo/black cover versions. I don't know which version you're referring to. I've been looking through old D&D versions (pre-WotC), looking for some suggestions, but without much success. I may have looked right over that one.

If you find it, and it's in the earlier blue logo edition, I should be able to look it up myself. If it's in the later edition, though, then your posting it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

If flat out move does not settle it, or even if they're close I would look at ENCUMBRANCE.. creatures without stuff and the same move as adventures with stuff should always "get away" or close the gap.. especially if you don't really do encumbrance.... CON for endurance unless they have skills or backstory as runners. Most folks can only sprint for a short time, then they dog trot. Many creatures can run at high speeds for minutes some for amazing bursts for seconds... have fun with it for sure.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.