Monk Weapon List.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
marroon69
Mist Elf

Re: Monk Weapon List.

Post by marroon69 »

hmm I new to C&C but reading the rule and playing a little bit(single session so far) I thought facing was part of the core system, things like "Flank attack" and "back attack" sort of require it? Right? Or am I missing something? sorry to derail the conversation...

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

One of my coincidental rules for monks allows them the best of their weapons features and monk or weapon damage. A monk tends to use odd weapons because they have neat features (bonuses to disarm, for example), while getting to do monk damage.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Omote, I agree there is facing concerning where you are facing and how your are attacked (thief from behind, flank, etc.) and who your shield works against... but on your attack action you can attack forward or to the side "I would assume" with no real penalty using say a sword, possibly even behind.. changing the direction of a chain whip forward or back is a quick snap and elbow wrap, same for 90 degree with one step turn at the right point in the elbow wrap.. etc.. so my point is, the ATTACK can change direction despite your basic facing direction with a given round.. am I missing something in the description on that? Serious and curious if I am...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Captain_K wrote:Omote, I agree there is facing concerning where you are facing and how your are attacked (thief from behind, flank, etc.) and who your shield works against... but on your attack action you can attack forward or to the side "I would assume" with no real penalty using say a sword, possibly even behind.. changing the direction of a chain whip forward or back is a quick snap and elbow wrap, same for 90 degree with one step turn at the right point in the elbow wrap.. etc.. so my point is, the ATTACK can change direction despite your basic facing direction with a given round.. am I missing something in the description on that? Serious and curious if I am...
On a player's move, they can move up to half their normal movement and still make an attack with no penalty. This movement includes changing facing. It's up to the GM to keep track of the player's facing. In general, I use the direction of their last strike, unless the player says otherwise ("After I take down the orc, I turn to face to ogre" or something like that).

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

mmbutter wrote:
Captain_K wrote:Omote, I agree there is facing concerning where you are facing and how your are attacked (thief from behind, flank, etc.) and who your shield works against... but on your attack action you can attack forward or to the side "I would assume" with no real penalty using say a sword, possibly even behind.. changing the direction of a chain whip forward or back is a quick snap and elbow wrap, same for 90 degree with one step turn at the right point in the elbow wrap.. etc.. so my point is, the ATTACK can change direction despite your basic facing direction with a given round.. am I missing something in the description on that? Serious and curious if I am...
On a player's move, they can move up to half their normal movement and still make an attack with no penalty. This movement includes changing facing. It's up to the GM to keep track of the player's facing. In general, I use the direction of their last strike, unless the player says otherwise ("After I take down the orc, I turn to face to ogre" or something like that).
mmbutter and I do it exactly the same. Since we sometimes use a grid in our C&C games, facing tends to be important. On the character's turn he can change his facing to any direction (no movement needed). I also allow the character to change facing when it is not his turn of an enemy engages him (as long as the character could be aware of the attack, and it wasn't a sneak attack or the like). But the character can only change his facing once per enemy that engages him. If the enemies are already around him when they attack (previously engaged) he can't change his facing. I know it sounds complicated, and until you play it, it probably sounds so.

The one thing I never really considered with CaptainK's comment is when a character attacks not from his front attack arc (attacking to the sides, etc. while remaining facing a front direction. Interesting.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sword and shield, shield makes a great blind to strike forward "around to the right" (assumes RH sword and shield LH), but nothing is in the way to face forward and strike to the right or even back and right while keeping facing forward and key her, shield forward on that person if desired. Sneaky attacks under raised shield or over shields if need be are common and still to the front and depending on the length of the blade a really sneaky (tricky I assume) stab to the left behind the shield.. so all that is possible with the classic shield sword combo.. now have no shield and facing becomes only important on "who's behind me" or flanking me... I fully agree, you must "turn" on your attack action, but that was this issue, "On your attack you cannot attack to the sides.." you can if you turn and attack...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Making the character describe in detail what they want to try to do and why they think they can pull it off is the core of CnC combat or Siege, I let them try it all and just add modifiers.. You should have seen the monk with the chain whip trying to nail a stirge stuck to his buttock and another to his shoulder with "style and grace" using his chain whip... that was a fun one...