Digest size books

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Digest size books

Post by thenorthman »

I am excited about these books. Just in time I was about to pull the trigger on some of the older ones.

Surprised hasn't been brought up yet...or am I just missing the post.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Re: Digest size books

Post by maasenstodt »

Curious minds want to know if the digest flip book is the 6th printing PHB / 4th printing M&T...

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Also, any chance the current 5 by 5 deal with free M&T will be extended down to digest books?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

maasenstodt wrote:Curious minds want to know if the digest flip book is the 6th printing PHB / 4th printing M&T...
It would have been announced if such were the case...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Arduin wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:Curious minds want to know if the digest flip book is the 6th printing PHB / 4th printing M&T...
Just announced today in The Troll's Tusk newsletter. So a fairly new thing.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Rigon wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Yeah, and besides being new, the Trolls often tuck information away. For instance, in neither the newsletter where I first saw the news that the miniature books are available, nor in the TLG Store listings, does it say whether the mini 6th PHB and 4th M&T have color interiors. I had to go to the front page of the website to find out that they're in B&W.

With regards to the flip books, if all of the new mini books are new, it would make sense (to me, anyway) that they'd all be up to date.

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

yea here is the lines from Troll Tusk #54

"All the core books, monsters book, player books and adventures are available in digest form. You can even get tiny screens to boot."

But I can see how to order one them?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

marroon69 wrote:yea here is the lines from Troll Tusk #54

"All the core books, monsters book, player books and adventures are available in digest form. You can even get tiny screens to boot."

When you place an order on the store, you select the size you want. Al least that's what I think I read, either in the newsletter or on the Kickstarter page.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

marroon69 wrote:yea here is the lines from Troll Tusk #54

Right, you just go to the TLG Store and select a product, on the right side will be a drop down for the product size. Pretty cool!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rigon wrote:
Arduin wrote:

R-

Yep, like I said. Pretty cool

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So glad I have no interest in Digest sized books. I have enough problems reading them at normal size!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:So glad I have no interest in Digest sized books. I have enough problems reading them at normal size!
True. My days of using books that size is gone. Reading glasses for normal print now. :(

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

My eyes are still pretty good. Would be nice to have them all in digest size. I think I have all of the old ones, except for OG&M.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I like the digest books, primarily for their ease of carrying around in boxes, quite unlike that of regular printed books.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

serleran wrote:I like the digest books, primarily for their ease of carrying around in boxes, quite unlike that of regular printed books.
Yea I am grabbing them mainly for the ease of transport. Despite having everything in PDF on the iPad sometimes it just feels better to read a physical product....

I ordered some and have another 8 looking at picking up.

My closing costs for the house was $3,000 less than the worse case scenario I was setting up for so....now its burning a hole in my pocket. :O)

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

These seems very cool but I am probably going to pass for now. I already bought all my players their own PH. If these had been available I might have went that route. It is cool however. I have plenty of digest sized Savage Worlds books.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

If I got the mini books my trusty "milk crate of holding" would spit all my gaming books into extra dimensional space out of jealously.. so no can do mini-books...

Here's an idea, a CK or MT that is its own screen, folds open, stands up, locks in place and pages can still be turned as needed while acting as a screen too... save some space... not sure how that would work, might take some origami skills, but could be possible....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I have the digest books. I have a subway meal bag that is exactly the perfect size for carrying them and a small bag of dice!

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Arduin wrote:
Tim has confirmed for me (and updated the website to confirm for everyone else) that the digest flip book is in fact the latest 6th printing PHB and 4th printing M&T.

That being the case, mine's been ordered and I can't wait to get it. My eyes are still good enough to use the digest books for reference purposes, and the facts that they're lighter to carry and that I'm not as worried about them getting beaten up a bit should make my life easier on game nights.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

maasenstodt wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Tim has confirmed for me (and updated the website to confirm for everyone else)
Yes. As I stated

House Rules

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Arduin wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Tim has confirmed for me (and updated the website to confirm for everyone else)
Yes. As I stated
It wasn't announced that the flip books had been updated when, in fact, they had been. But anyway, I'm glad they're up to date.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

maasenstodt wrote: It wasn't announced that the flip books had been updated when, in fact, they had been. But anyway, I'm glad they're up to date.
Oh. I thought I saw it n the website.

House Rules

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Just FYI, I received my digest books today and they are really nice. To me, a really nice leather copy of a book like the PHB and a digest copy of the same book make a perfect compliment. The former provides a beautiful piece for casual reading and game preparation, while the later provides an easily portable and markup-able reference for actual play. The digest flip book is just fantastic for gaming on the go.

We'll see if the bindings hold up to extended use. If they do, and if the smaller print isn't too much of issue, I'd strongly recommend picking them up.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I got back from vacation yesterday to find my digest PHB and M&T had arrived. They are AWESOME! I'm near-sighted, so the tiny print isn't an issue. The best part is how unbelievably light they are. Absolutely perfect to convention play. Now I just need to get a digest flip book and my life will be complete.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

The digest flip book is well worth picking up. In fact, after seeing it, I think one really cool (if completely pie-in-the-sky) idea would be to do a hardcover flip book in leather. It would be a massive tome, that's for sure!

The only caveat with the digest flip book is that it would have been nice if the margin had been increased. I really have to flex the spine to read the text closest to it.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

I love my digest books. As a DM who travels to games, I've found them invaluable. If C&C were not a good enough ruleset on its own, I still might run it just because my game bag is one quarter the size and weight. All the spines have held up well except the CKG which has split about half a dozen times in various places but I just keep gluing it and waiting for them to reprint them and they finally have.

If I had my way, they'd increase the font a bit and extend the page count, but then it would be more work (new layout per page, etc) and probably a higher price so I'll settle for miniaturization.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I just got the digest flip book in the mail, and it is AWESOME. Great thing for travel. Placed it in yet another one of my subway bags with some dice and it's ready to go!