Black & white, versus colour book interiors

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.

Black & white or colour book interiors?

Black & white
44%
Colour
32%
Black & white but with interspersed full page colour art
24%

Total votes: 25

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Black & white, versus colour book interiors

Post by slimykuotoan »

Which would you prefer?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Black & white, versus colour book interiors?

Post by Treebore »

Over all? B&W, but I am just fine with a well done full color book.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Black & white, versus colour book interiors

Post by Rhuvein »

3rd option for me! 8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Black and white is sufficient for me. I read the book mostly for the rules. I find color helpful sometimes for maps. I know what all of the monsters look like by now (and not necessarily how they've ever been portrayed, anyway) and some of my favorite monster pictures were b&w line drawings in AD&D.

Color doesn't bother me though unless for some reason it means bringing the readability down.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Looks like B&W wins it, 17 to 8.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Color does nothing for me, personally. I like "regular" black and white text and I can appreciate art in black and white/shades of grey just as easily as color.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, I broke down and ordered a 6th print PHB. It's on sale right now for $10. I hadn't planned on getting on, but for that price, I'd be crazy not to. I've now paid less for the hardback 6th print than I did the PDF. Sales rock.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

$10 is crazy! What the hell is going on down in Arkansas? :shock:
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:$10 is crazy! What the hell is going on down in Arkansas? :shock:
They must need cash quick to restock their Dr Pepper supply. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I believe that a colored book though would bring in "new stock" of players.....

Which is probably why its been expressed Troll Lords want to get their books into color which the Kickstarters are allowing.....which also is where people are voting trying to reach those goals....

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Rigon wrote:So, I broke down and ordered a 6th print PHB. It's on sale right now for $10. I hadn't planned on getting on, but for that price, I'd be crazy not to. I've now paid less for the hardback 6th print than I did the PDF. Sales rock.
Was going to buy a few copies to take to cons with me when I run C&C, but then noticed it was a "retailer only" price. Oh well.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

mmbutter wrote:
Rigon wrote:So, I broke down and ordered a 6th print PHB. It's on sale right now for $10. I hadn't planned on getting on, but for that price, I'd be crazy not to. I've now paid less for the hardback 6th print than I did the PDF. Sales rock.
Was going to buy a few copies to take to cons with me when I run C&C, but then noticed it was a "retailer only" price. Oh well.
I'm not a retailer and I got one. They took my money, I better get a book. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

It might be something they check after they take the money then refund.....

If not you just became a retailer. :mrgreen:

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Honestly, I actually prefer the colored pages. When it's done well, I feel like it gives the book a more professional, 'stand up and take notice' feel.

Maybe it's because Paizo spoiled me, or maybe it's because of the glut of 3E splatbooks that were done in black and white and just felt very dull and 'meh', but black and white just hasn't done as much for me since the advent of full-color print. I think black and white probably has a big following here at TLG because C&C draws a lot of old school players who have a special place in their hearts for the old PHB's and DMG's in glorious hardback/black and white.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. For my buck, though, I actually dig the gloss/matte parchment-style pages with full color images and heavily detailed maps.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Black and white is certainly nostalgic, but that is where its draw for me ends. I have both, and I prefer the color. On top of that, TLG has to move forward and sell books in order to do so. We live in a color world now. Whether that was solidified by Wizards or Paizo, I am not sure, but the "now" and the best sellers are in color. Just like selling books in PDF format. I had a hard time with that at first. I am a grognard too. But you know, those PDFs of all my books fit in my iPad. Old dog did learn a new trick! Times change and so have the preferences of most, I say "most" gamers.

Nothing wrong with back and white, I have them and if I want to walk down memory lane with them, I can. I have an old 39 Oldsmobile and I really like it. I keep it garaged and dry and far from rust, door dings, and rock chips. Fun car, but not my choice for ever-day driving. What is safe, dependable and fuel efficient, etc., etc., is what is on the market today. Yes the Olds still gets me from point A to point B but not like my modern new car does. And yes, they come in color now.

Love black and white, love my color better.

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

I find the black and white easiest to read. Color looks pretty, but for reading and playing it's B&W all the way.

I think full color is the industry standard and the way to go to get new customers though.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I find that full colour makes a product appear childlike.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

slimykuotoan wrote:Looks like B&W wins it, 16 to 7.

Ahhhh I see what you did there. Count the votes for colored art work as part of your poll in your favor. ;)

Me I see it as a 12 to 11 in favor of colored books since people want the colored art work. Which to have colored art work interspaced in the book it probably is the same price as having the whole book in color....they would just have to have a few colored pages in their file to have it print out that way and the rest black and white.

But due to those interspersed colored art work they would be charged as full colored book so that really isn't realistic..... :roll:

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

thenorthman wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:Looks like B&W wins it, 16 to 7.

Ahhhh I see what you did there. Count the votes for colored art work as part of your poll in your favor. ;)

Me I see it as a 12 to 11 in favor of colored books since people want the colored art work. Which to have colored art work interspaced in the book it probably is the same price as having the whole book in color....they would just have to have a few colored pages in their file to have it print out that way and the rest black and white.

But due to those interspersed colored art work they would be charged as full colored book so that really isn't realistic..... :roll:

Heehee...numbers can always be skewed in favor one way or the other! :lol:

I think it's B&W over Color, 11-7, with five people who prefer a mix. ;)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I like the 11-7 and 5 mixed take as well. But the tiny number in this poll does not come close to the numbers of sales of color books vs. black and white and what it may or may not do for the game expanding to more gamers.

I wish we could see those numbers. How many existing gamers purchased and how many new to C&C purchased the color. What keeps TLG healthy is the winner.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I am honestly happy using my 4th print all day long. Hell, I'd have been happy using my 2nd print forever, except that the barbarian was changed enough to warrant me getting the 4th print. I was not going to buy a physical copy of the 6th print (I did get a PDF though), but with that $10 sale, I paid less for a hardback including shipping, than I did for the PDF. Now I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on the 4th print M&T so I have a matching set and that will force my hand on the CKG too (when I can get it for a good deal that is).

I like b&w just fine and I'm ok with the color version too. I've seen the 6th print at a game store and it is a very sharp book. A lot nicer than any of the WizBro D&D books.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads