Changes you would make to C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Changes you would make to C&C

Post by slimykuotoan »

Mine would be pretty minor:

No illusionist healing

&

Rangers with wisdom as their required prime
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

shadow
Skobbit

Re: Changes you would make to C&C

Post by shadow »

Change the experience points required for class progression to more closely match 1st and 2nd edition AD&D.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I would drop experience points all together, play, advance, no book keeping.

Add some more classes like Samurai and Ninja... ;}
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Captain_K wrote:...some more classes like Samurai and Ninja... ;}
Hear hear!
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I would make quite a few. Among them are the inclusion of the prime/secondary/tertiary system as standard, adding in all missing SRD creatures, equipment descriptions included in the PHB, missing SRD spells included and probably a few I have forgotten.

While I do like the game I find the system works best as a foundation to be added to and not as a complete game.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:No illusionist healing
Yep, and the removal of most of the later illusionist spells.

I only allow the original spells in my game, but would consider a few of the new ones.

And so, ssfix17 did not want to play an illusionist in my game!!! :cry:

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Oh yeah, . . . three primes for demi-humans!!! 8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Simplify the weapon and armor lists, and implement system shock in addition to aging and resurrection effects.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Refer to my house rules...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Dwarves are medium...

A common matrix of house rules by topic would be cool to see.. just how many are similar or the same and where they differ.. is it too late to ask this of Santa?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

I currently only make small changes. I like the spell-slot option in the CKG for all spell casters. As far as initiative goes, I like the idea of adding the DEX bonus as well. Other than that, I think the game works well and much faster than more recent versions of the "world's oldest rpg." Although I think 5e is a great edition of D&D and plan to play/run it occasionally, C&C remains my very favorite game to play and run.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I think every time they print the books, you know every couple of years, they should change the rules so much that the game changes.. you know just for fun.. I have too much money anyhow and I like buying all new books and learning all new rules to basically play the same game.... sorry, was that too snarky this close to Christmas.. ;}

So that is what I would NOT change, please Trolls do not adopt the business model of WoC. Keep basically doing what you're doing.

I'd rather have a tip jar, every time we play a game, everyone just "ante up" say a buck. Then when the pot grows to say $20, we send the Trolls the money. I would pay for the game to be played that way.

Possibly we should start a thread, "What do we like BEST about the game?"

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Very little. Add a class similar to 2nd edition bard, fix the editing and maybe a tweak to the standard fighter.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

1. Ditch primes completely. Challenges would be d20+Ability mod +level only.

2. Go to a straight DC15,20,25 for static challenges, and DC15+HD/Lvl for spells, effects, etc.

3. Install level limits for demi-humans (a la AD&D) to compensate for no primes.

4. Max level is 12th. Spells above 6th level are either rituals or the realm of the gods.

5. Encumbrance is based off strength bonus (+0 = 50 lbs., +1 = 75 lbs., etc.)

6. Use the 3rd printing rules.

This is what I've done already for my house ruled C&C (AD&D 3rd Edition).

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would make a lot of changes based on the setting employed, but for C&C in general...

1) Add my Creature Crucible to M&T.
2) Add my class breakdown system to CKG for options on creating classes.
3) Clarify ability checks better -- do not use Strength check (which has its own rules under the attribute description) as an example
4) 8-12 page modules
5) Get Crusader active again
6) Get C&C Society active again

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Isn't the society working?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

ThrorII, Not to start a fight, but why would a dwarf fighter have level limits or a Halfling thief or elven mage.. etc. If you stop all at 12th lvl anyway... just curious.. the old days level limits were one of the few things I recall most folks ignoring... Personally I like "giving" the Humans more stuff and not taking away from the other races.. the 3rd prime was nice.. but other things could be done to "even" them out without stopping a PC from gaining levels with everyone else.. kind of "kills" the character at that point.. I think that is why I dislike level limits.. end of the game for that player, might as well not make that race and class combo allowed to player characters.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I would add another attribute: perception. No more tying that sort of thing to wisdom.

Chuck the encumbrance system and all of the fiddly armor types.

I already do the latter two. I've held back on perception.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

I have plans to make a few changes. I'm thinking of calling it CC+.

1. I have an idea for a combat system where initiative is based on playing cards instead of dice. I think this would make things go faster and be more fun, because it allows players to take quick actions rather than just having to wait half an hour for their turn to come up again.

2. I'd like to allow players to buy abilities by spending experience points. I call it "adding pizazz".

3. Maybe replace the "prime/non-prime" abilities with a concept of class skills. Whether I go with class skills, or keep the prime abilities, I just think it makes more sense to give a +6 bonus to using a prime ability/class skill than have a different challenge number, but the end result of that is the same.

4. Allow multiclassing. I have a copy of the companion, so I'll have to look over the options to see which I think will best fit my campaign.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Captain_K wrote:I would drop experience points all together, play, advance, no book keeping.

Add some more classes like Samurai and Ninja... ;}

These classes are coming in the Codex Nihonica in 2016 with Martial Art rules as well! Be prepared, I know it is long in the waiting, over decade, but it will be worth it!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

All the changes I made can be found in my house rules thread.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Multiclass is in the back of the PH as an option...

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Captain_K wrote:Isn't the society working?
No.

It's trying.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

A more direct link to the society stuff from here would be great. I think I finally joined the ranks, but really I forget to go there and check on stuff.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

One other thing:

I would resurrect forgotten creations.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Oh yes, I would add a sprinkle of magic to the bard as well.

Thrasaric
Henchman

Post by Thrasaric »

I think they should have some definite guidelines on time tracking. It takes roughly this amount of time to search this size of an area. You need a ten minute rest after a fight etc.

Time tracking and encumbrance are important IMO, and way to overlooked.

I love the encumbrance system in C&C, I would like them to be a bit more consistent with remembering to put E.V. values on things.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

This is more of an editing/layout quibble, but I would move the class information tables that appear at the end of the class write-up in the 6th printing (i.e., Prime Attributes, HD, Alignment, Weapons, Armor, Abilities, and XP table) to the beginning of the write-up. The way the lay-out is set now, I am always flipping back and forth to make sure the information belongs to the class I think it does, because it appears right above the next alphabetical class. Less than optimal layout from my standpoint.

I also think the weapon list is a bit over the top. Definitely could use some streamlining in that department, e.g., polearm, instead of 10 different variations of the polearm.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Only thing I'd outright change is to chuck the encumbrance system (which I have in my house rules). I'm fairly content with everything else and the ability to add or subtract as I like.

The Society is there, the Knights are the active core really though it is suffering from 'central management' practices at the moment and not being a high priority in that que. So from the outside, yeah, it appears like nothing is happening at the moment. Once a few things clear the bottlenecks, then a bunch of stuff is likely to appear thereafter.

I'll be looking forward the the Nihonica myself. ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Celticgamer wrote:These classes are coming in the Codex Nihonica in 2016 with Martial Art rules as well! Be prepared, I know it is long in the waiting, over decade, but it will be worth it!
If it doesn't have kaiju, it has nothing.